Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Manvel
Posts: 5
Master toilet issue.

Hi ya'll! New member with my first post.
The wife and I are FT in our 2020 Jayco Eagle 336FBOK 5th Wheel. This unit has 1 1/2 baths, 2 back tanks and two gray tanks. the master toilet is on black tank 1, the 1/2 bath toilet is on Black tank 2. I do my deed in the 1/2 bath and the wife in the master bath. She doesn't anymore after the original issue but leading up to them she had a bad habit of using 2.5 rolls of paper (slight exaggeration) per deed. A few weeks ago her toilet developed a clog between the toilet and the tank. I used a small snake to bust through the clog but apparently it resealed itself and re-clogged yesterday. I have tried almost everything to bust through the clog. One of the things that I bought was a fiberglass rod used for running wires in walls. It went all the way through the clog and i could feel and hear it tapping the bottom of the tank but it would not knock out the clog. I also bought a 6' HD toilet auger from HD. I could not get it fully into the toilet because it has a 90 degree elbow on it that i cant get through the toilet opening. So I guess now i have to remove the toilet completely to get the auger into it. If i do this what do i need to know about the toilet flange. I dont think that there is a traditional wax seal as a res home would have. Is it rubber or what? Will i need to replace it before i put the toilet back in place? I appreciate any advice.
__________________

Tx3per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Thomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 196
I've pulled two toilets and replaced them. Both had a soft rubber seal between the toilet and the pipe/floor. I think they are standard size. However, I never replaced the seal and didn't have a problem. You can go the an RV place with your make and model to get a new seal. Now regarding toilet paper use the Walmart Great Value toilet paper for septic tanks. I tested a lot of toilet papers for falling apart and this one beats everybody for falling apart after use, but is not like sandpaper of a shiny magazine cover. Lastly, tell DW to use a lot of water for flushing. Fill the bowl a second time and dump it, again. That should mitigate your problems.
__________________

__________________
Cliff and Annette
2019 Jayco 315RLTS Northpoint
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,974
That sounds like a serious clog. Removing the toilet to get your auger in may be the best choice. Once you get it clear the big deal will be to keep it clear. There’s lots of “home brew” and store bought solutions. Probably the most important which has already been mentioned is lots of water. I like to keep the dump valve closed until the tank is at least half full. Before we hit the road I like to drain and flush the tank then fill it about 1/4 or a bit less and add a healthy shot of Dawn (1/4 cup or so) and add one of the black tank chem packs. When driving I feel the “slosh effect” and dawn help loosen any “Klingons” hiding in the tank. I do the same process when we get home and put the 5th in storage.
__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 16,120
Sounds like she is not putting enough water down the pipes. Encourage an extra bowl full each time, once you get it cleared out.

I have pulled my commode out and the rubber seal is reusable. My reused one did not leak. Just make sure the bolts are down tight.

While it's off, take the opportunity to add a 1/4 turn cutoff valve on the supply line.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box, PT50C EMS
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS
2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Boiling Springs
Posts: 267
www.happycampers.store/
Try Happy Camper extreme before you pull the toilet up. It may break up the clog.
I have been using Happy Camper for the last year and it works great.
The products are also sold on Ebay and Amazon.
Check out the web site as they have helpful hints on holding tanks.
Always remember that water is your friend when flushing!
__________________
RipinSC
2019 Eagle FW 321RSTS
2015 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 Gas
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,437
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Have a separate container for the TP and not down the drain. TP can cause quickly clogs around elbows and valves.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Manvel
Posts: 5
One of you mentioned a "flush", how does that work?
Tx3per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mopar_Earl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saint Thomas, PA
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
I've pulled two toilets and replaced them. Both had a soft rubber seal between the toilet and the pipe/floor. I think they are standard size. However, I never replaced the seal and didn't have a problem. You can go the an RV place with your make and model to get a new seal. Now regarding toilet paper use the Walmart Great Value toilet paper for septic tanks. I tested a lot of toilet papers for falling apart and this one beats everybody for falling apart after use, but is not like sandpaper of a shiny magazine cover. Lastly, tell DW to use a lot of water for flushing. Fill the bowl a second time and dump it, again. That should mitigate your problems.
Try Samsclub store brand. It's much softer and breaks down even better than the Walmart store brand.


Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx3per View Post
One of you mentioned a "flush", how does that work?
Thereís 3 ways Iím familiar with:
1) hold the flush open and spray water down the drain via a spray nozzle on a hose (probably pretty messy).
2) you can buy (or make) a spray wand. Itís a 2-ish foot long tube that attaches to a hose and has a spray tip. Stick it past the valve and spray away. Probably more effective than #1.
3) many units come with a black tank rinse connection similar to the city water connection. It sprays directly into the black tank. Probably the most effective method for cleaning out the tank but I doubt itíd help your problem since it sounds like itís in the line before the tank.

On our first HTT I used #2 on the 5th is #3. If your TT doesnít have a black tank flush it may be possible to add one but I canít comment on the effort required.

If youíre able to let your TT sit idle for a bit perhaps a digesting product like a drain cleaner or septic tank treatment would help but Iíd suspect the clog would have to be kept wet.
Good luck! And let the community know how this turns out.
__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #10
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 129
Quote:
Have a separate container for the TP
Sorry but that is gross.

Happy Camper is good stuff and may help but it sounds like a job for a drain snake.

Angel Soft TP is about the best I have found for breaking up and for comfort. The Happy Camper in the tank will break up most of what is in there.
CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:52 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joan617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Florida for Winter, then TX
Posts: 405
If DW needs to use a lot of TP, that’s cool, just have her use more instances of smaller amounts of paper at a time, each with a generous flush. That will stop the clogs.

For tank treatment, another vote for Happy Camper here. We ended up with a copious supply of Happy Camper and TST (orange packs). On our weekly dumps we have been alternating between the two until we finish the TST. We see better results with Happy Camper for sure. Then we really dialed it up with a cup each of Borax and Dawn. Now we hardly ever see white clumps of paper flying through the clear elbow. The paper is there, but mostly broken down.

After dump we flush twice with full tanks of water. ALKRUEBBE gave us the great idea of using a water flow meter on the hose (11-19$ on Amazon) to count gallons going in so you can safely fill the tank all the way. Then of course finish the tube with the grays...
-Angus
__________________
Joan & Angus Campbell
Full Time Roaming, chasing 78 degrees
2019 Pinnacle 36SSWS
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
4 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Manvel
Posts: 5
Fixed it!!!

So i was able to remove the toilet this weekend, run the HD snake down it and bust out the horrendous clog. It was like a brick wall. Thank you all for your feedback!
Tx3per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,974
That’s great news! My uncle was passing on his experience and “learning moments” when we were thinking about buying our first trailer. And one point he made was flush with lots of water and keep water in the black tank. He said the water will prevent a “poop pyramid” from forming and once it dries it’s like concrete. Sounds similar to your experience.
Lots of happy, drama free miles!
__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #14
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark
Posts: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx3per View Post
So i was able to remove the toilet this weekend, run the HD snake down it and bust out the horrendous clog. It was like a brick wall. Thank you all for your feedback!


Thanks for the update.
__________________
2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab
1 Spoiled Dog
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Murff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 3,216
One thing comes to mind after reading this: Tx3per!

Are you keeping the tank closed until it gets at least 3/4s full? If you leave the valve open, this will cause the problem that you have just cleared up!

Not sure if you are new to RVing or just the JOF.

Just a thought.

Murff
__________________
Murff
2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2011 F150 Non EcoBoost (5.0)
Reese Steadi Flex WDH

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:27 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
edatlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville
Posts: 2,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx3per View Post
Hi ya'll! New member with my first post.
The wife and I are FT in our 2020 Jayco Eagle 336FBOK 5th Wheel. This unit has 1 1/2 baths, 2 back tanks and two gray tanks. the master toilet is on black tank 1, the 1/2 bath toilet is on Black tank 2. I do my deed in the 1/2 bath and the wife in the master bath. She doesn't anymore after the original issue but leading up to them she had a bad habit of using 2.5 rolls of paper (slight exaggeration) per deed. A few weeks ago her toilet developed a clog between the toilet and the tank. I used a small snake to bust through the clog but apparently it resealed itself and re-clogged yesterday. I have tried almost everything to bust through the clog. One of the things that I bought was a fiberglass rod used for running wires in walls. It went all the way through the clog and i could feel and hear it tapping the bottom of the tank but it would not knock out the clog. I also bought a 6' HD toilet auger from HD. I could not get it fully into the toilet because it has a 90 degree elbow on it that i cant get through the toilet opening. So I guess now i have to remove the toilet completely to get the auger into it. If i do this what do i need to know about the toilet flange. I dont think that there is a traditional wax seal as a res home would have. Is it rubber or what? Will i need to replace it before i put the toilet back in place? I appreciate any advice.
If your toilet is a Thetford Style 2 or at least uses the same foam seal, make sure you put it on the toilet BEFORE you place it on the flange. If you put the foam seal on the flange first and then try to stab it with the toilet you will fail. Ask me how I know this!
__________________
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Manvel
Posts: 5
Oh yea we keep the, all closed all the time. We leave gray 1 open during laundry but close it when done. Thanx!
Tx3per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Manvel
Posts: 5
Too late now but no problems so far. Crossing fingers.....
Tx3per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Murff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 3,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx3per View Post
Too late now but no problems so far. Crossing fingers.....
Good to hear!

Murff
__________________
Murff
2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2011 F150 Non EcoBoost (5.0)
Reese Steadi Flex WDH

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 128
As everybody else said use LOTS of water and flush at least 2 times ,every time .
__________________

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×