Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #1

Mattress Exchange and Under Bed Storage Access

As per many comments on this forum the mattress on our new Pinnacle is just plain bad. No different than other fifth wheels we have owned. We are looking at a 10" memory foam type which will probably weigh quite a bit more than the one Jayco supplies. Does this affect the lifting mechanism to access the under bed storage?

We almost walked when we realized this one had the queen size as an option but have realized how much more room we have in the bedroom. Most of the queen size beds we are considering weigh in the 75 pound range.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
As per many comments on this forum the mattress on our new Pinnacle is just plain bad. No different than other fifth wheels we have owned. We are looking at a 10" memory foam type which will probably weigh quite a bit more than the one Jayco supplies. Does this affect the lifting mechanism to access the under bed storage?

We almost walked when we realized this one had the queen size as an option but have realized how much more room we have in the bedroom. Most of the queen size beds we are considering weigh in the 75 pound range.
We put a 3" memory foam topper on ours and it made a world of difference.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #3

We put a memory foam mattress in ours. The weight difference is minimal. No issues with the struts that hold up the bed platform. We down sized from the cheapy king to a queen and just trimmed each side of the platform down to queen size.
We tried the memory foam topper but the king just was so bad! I don't know who specs out these mattresses but they need to sleep on one for a week. Ugh!!!!

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #4

You can always use a heavy duty strut on the bed or add extra ones.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #5

On a previous trailer I just moved the strut attachment about 1.5 inches closer to hinge to give it a little more ump power.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #6

Our pinnacle 36FBTS came with a king mattress. We got rid of that mattress and put in our memory foam mattress from home. The extra weight made a big difference when it came to lifting up the bed. Installed more powerful struts. That did not help on the lift up but did make lowering the bed easier for wife. We can lift the bed but we now have a post that swings down and holds it up while were underneath searching around.It would be really nice to have a lighter weight king bed but this is what we have right now.
Dushoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
Site Team

We swapped out the equally bad original mattress in our TT for a 10" Zinus memory foam, and it's been great. We also replaced the worn out bed lift shocks with new ones at the same time, and that helped immensely. It won't lift and stay like a car hood, but it was much better.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #8

I just replaced our mattress with the Zinus Ultima 10" Comfort Memory Foam, Queen. Weighs 61 pounds. No noticeable difference in strut operation. Much better matress than our original 6" mattress w/ 2" green foam pad. Happy Campers!
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 8' bed 4:10
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2017 Travel Lite 890RX (truck camper)
Sun N Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun N Fun View Post
I just replaced our mattress with the Zinus Ultima 10" Comfort Memory Foam, Queen. Weighs 61 pounds. No noticeable difference in strut operation. Much better matress than our original 6" mattress w/ 2" green foam pad. Happy Campers!
I researched mattresses until I became totally confused, which is pretty much standard for me. It came down to the Zinus on Amazon and the Sealy Coocoon memory foam at Costco. We have had very good luck with a Casper we bought for our home from Costco a few years ago so went with them again. The Coocoon is a little more pricey but also has good reviews and I do like Costco's return policy. It weighs about the same as the Zinus so I hope we also have no problem raising the bed.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the mattress that came with the Pinnacle.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:33 AM   #10

We did a 10" Memory Foam replacement and added a sheet of 5/8 plywood. The struts have no issue opening or holding the additional weight.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #11

Sell the other mattress on Craigslist, or someplace similar.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #12

Good luck finding a 10" Zinus. Zinus is made in China and the 10" short queen is always on back order. Occasionally, a 3rd party vendor will offer one on Amazon for $150-200 over the normal price (around $250).
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #13

What mattress brand usually come on Jayco's? Ours came with a Sealy and it's like laying on plywood even with a memory foam pad on it. Our previous FW Wildcat had a Serta/Trump and it was excellent.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
What mattress brand usually come on Jayco's? Ours came with a Sealy and it's like laying on plywood even with a memory foam pad on it. Our previous FW Wildcat had a Serta/Trump and it was excellent.
Our Pinnacle came with a Serta but the wife says the floor is more comfortable. Ours has the queen size option which almost made us walk but we like the room it gives in the bedroom. It is a regular queen, 60 X 80, so easy to find a replacement. The Sealy Coocoon I have ordered is made in the US.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Our Pinnacle came with a Serta but the wife says the floor is more comfortable. Ours has the queen size option which almost made us walk but we like the room it gives in the bedroom. It is a regular queen, 60 X 80, so easy to find a replacement. The Sealy Coocoon I have ordered is made in the US.
I could be mistaken and ours also may also a Serta, but it's at the dealer right now so I cannot check. I know it is Sealy or Serta. I know one thing it needs to be replaced! It is also the same 60x80 queen as yours.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #16
Site Team

Our first rv was a 1997 model fifth wheel. The queen mattress was like heaven. Serta I think. When we purchased a new rig in 2004, the queen mattress was obviously thinner and cheaper. We swapped it with our old rig and left happy.

Next fifth wheel was a cheap, thin 3rd rate king mattress with a name that would surprise you. It was gone quickly for a Sleep Number. Now we sleep better camping than at home. I have the original rolled up in a bag. The Sleep Number will come in our home bedroom if we ever get another rig because I would prefer a Queen for space considerations next time.

I think it's just another place to cut expenses with a cheaper mattress with a well known name.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
We put a memory foam mattress in ours. The weight difference is minimal. No issues with the struts that hold up the bed platform. We down sized from the cheapy king to a queen and just trimmed each side of the platform down to queen size.
We tried the memory foam topper but the king just was so bad! I don't know who specs out these mattresses but they need to sleep on one for a week. Ugh!!!!

RoadrunnerII
Same route here.
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
That's what our King was and it was terrible. In just a few weeks there were large dips where we slept. Jayco replaced it under warranty but with the same junk and predictably the same result. I went to a local furniture store and picked out a non- memory mattress that felt good and swapped it out. That was 3 years ago and it's still going strong and comfortable. The weight was comparable and didn't affect the bed opening.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #19

Quote:
I could be mistaken and ours also may also a Serta, but it's at the dealer right now so I cannot check. I know it is Sealy or Serta. I know one thing it needs to be replaced! It is also the same 60x80 queen as yours.
Brand names in economy mattresses is meaningless. If it's one of the Big S's it's junk.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #20

Talking

Ford has our Precept; they've had it longer than we did. So we don't have much time in the RV bed (six nights total), but we have a different story than most.

Our mattress is really comfortable. I have to sleep on a wedge for allergies and such, so we added those under the mattress, but that's all we did.

We know it's lighter and might not last. It's also not sitting on a box spring like they do in our home. But for the moment, we are happy with it. At least there is one thing we can put off buying for a little while.

Of course since it's at the shop, we aren't spending any money on stuff for it. Funny how that happens when you can't use it.
GiselleOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote