Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #41

I found this on Etrailer.
here is my problem i have an 5th wheel toy hauler and my tires keep blowing out i do not want byes ply tires and need to go with a 14 ply all steel tire how ever my rims on my camper wont take the 110 lbs of tire pressure. how do i tell on your web site what the max pressure on the rims are

asked by: Richar

Expert Reply:
Trailer wheels like the Aluminum Modular Trailer Wheel - 16" x 7" Rim - 8 on 6-1/2 - Silver # LHJM513 you referenced are not rated for a psi. Many wheel assemblies come with a valve stem rated for 65 psi or 80 psi at most. However, when a wheel like the one you asked the question from mentions a high pressure metal valve stem is included, this means that wheel will have a stem similar to # AM20906. This will hold the 110 lbs you referenced.

For your compatible tires, I recommend the Westlake ST235/85R16 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range G # LHWL410. These radial tires are rated for 4,400 lbs each at 110 psi. They are rated for speeds of up to 75 mph and have a 5 year warranty with complimentary roadside assistance 24/7 for 2 years. This will protect you and serve you if you have any issues, but these combinations will serve you very well as long as you are within the capacities of the tires.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:55 PM   #42

I just searched Westlake Tires and found this:

"Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co. is the proud creator of the Westlake tire. Through several decades of continual technological advances, Hangzhou Zhongce has risen to become the #1 tire producer in China, and the 10th largest tire manufacture globally."

After all of the China Bomb horror stories, I will stick to the USA made Goodyear, thank you!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #43

Love my Carlisle Radial Trail HDs. I'm onto my 5th year now and over 30,000km and they are awesome. Picked up a roofing nail once, but other than that, I haven't had an issue.

I had them balanced when they mounted them, it didn't cost me anything extra and I know that I hate the feeling of a shaky ride, so why have the trailer shaking while heading down the road.

I will likely keep my Carlisle's for another 2 years at least and take it from there. I will have close to 40,000km on them by then, if not more.

I run them at max PSI, even though I went from LRD (65psi) to LRE(80psi). My rims are rated for 80psi, so I figured why not?