Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #21

Specs for Florida are incorrect, past experience with Fl. DOT were very expensive.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
The freedom hauler attaches to a mounting bracket that attaches to 2 receiver hitches and does not pivot side to side, only up and down so the rear of the fiver does not try to lift the freedom hauler. It is considered an extension of the trailer and not double towing. The wheels on the freedom hauler turn since it does not pivot left and right. The weight added to the rear of the pinnacle will be a maximum of 15% of the max payload of 2400 pounds which is 360. I will be closer to 330 pounds with 1800 pounds of motorcycles plus 400 pounds for 2 rampage bike loaders. The bikes probably actually weigh a shade less than that. The one ton dually can handle the weight without issue.

Here is a link to the freedom hauler website
https://freedomhauler.com
That's pretty cool...more of a tow dolly instead of a trailer. I'm sure it will vary state by state. Here in CA the total length, including attachments can be no longer than 65' bumper to bumper. (Unless you have a truck tractor and a combination pair of 28' semi trailers, then it's 75')

The AAA quick reference guide (from the above post) could easily be confusing and easily misleading. Where it says "40 feet for 2- or more axle fifth wheel travel trailer)" our Vehicle Code actually states that a fifth-wheel travel trailer cannot be longer than:
(1) Forty-eight feet in length from the foremost point of the trailer to the rear extremity of the trailer.
(2) (A) For a fifth-wheel travel trailer with a single axle, 38 feet in length from the kingpin to the rearmost axle.
(B) For a fifth-wheel travel trailer with two or more axles, 40 feet in length from the kingpin to the rearmost axle.
You can see they left out the part where it is measured kingpin to rearmost axle! That's why the larger toy haulers and 5th wheel travel trailers are still legal in CA. I do suggest doing more research than a one-page digest reference.

If anyone is needing reading material that will put you to sleep, here's the statute Codes Display Text

~ Cheers!

1GreatScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:20 PM   #23

Well I have called the authorities in several states. Go figure, all of the states that I called that allow double towing have looked at it and let me explain it and said they would recognize the Freedom Hauler as an extension of the camper and not a trailer. All of the states that I called that do not allow double towing have looked at it and immediately, without hardly even letting me explain it, said they would recognize it as a trailer and it would be illegal. Well I think I am going to probably get one anyway and just avoid their Non-Freedom loving States. If they want to be that way then I guess they don't need my tourist money!!!
T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #24

Also take into consideration lengths at State and National Parks. Here is a useful article: https://camperreport.com/best-rv-len...ational-parks/

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #25

Great post with lots of interesting info. Thanks for sharing...
Mosinee, WI.
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #26

The best thing an rv owner has going for them is that for the most part no one in law enforcement know the laws regarding rv's. I eat breakfast once a week with a group of guys that consist of some of our local police, one Ga DOT worker and two GA. State Troupers that are their sometimes. None of them know anything about any special license requirements legal lengths or weight restrictions for RV's. That's the reason that most never bother an RV.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:16 PM   #27

Triple towing legal in Alberta. 65’ max length.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #28

Is there anyone here that has a 2018 or 2019 Ford long bed that can tell me how far it is from the center of the kingpin hole on the hitch to the back of the rear bumper?
Old 04-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #29

Man the more I research all of these different state laws the more confusing and ridiculous this all gets. The data that I find for North Carolina states that the total maximum length for truck and trailer combined is 60 feet. Then it also states that the maximum trailer length is 35 feet!!!!!

Heck a Seismic is 45 feet 7 inches total. It is 44 feet 3 inches from kingpin to the rear. A 2019 Ford Crew Cab Dually is 22 feet 2 inches long. All of these measurements are from factory specs online. If I take the Seismic's measurement of Kingpin to rear of 44 feet 3 inches and subtract 4 feet, assuming the hitch is in the center of an 8 foot bed, then add that to the Ford truck measurement of 22 feet 2 inches I would be at 62 feet 5 inches!!

I would be over max trailer length and max total length!!! How can this be!!???
Old 04-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They are sold in the states where they are "supposedly" illegal, California is the best example. Took our 2015 PINNACLE, which was 42.2, all across the country with no problem.
Grumpy has the wisdom of Soloman
I can personally tell you that not once did I worry about measuring a RV. Now if they had a huge DP with a toad and a 21 ft bass boat behind the toad..........I might of..........probably not though ........ would have been too busy laughing.
Where you "might" have a issue if involved in a accident and a State Accident Reconstruction Officer or a DOT Officer investigated.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy View Post
Is there anyone here that has a 2018 or 2019 Ford long bed that can tell me how far it is from the center of the kingpin hole on the hitch to the back of the rear bumper?
55” 2019 Ford longbed crew cab.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
55” 2019 Ford longbed crew cab.
Awesome. Thank you very much sir. Or mam
Old 04-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #33

California RV Motorhome lenght

The listing by AAA is not correct. 45 foot motorhome allowed on "certain roads" in CA.
The basic California length law for vehicles is 40 feet unless specifically exempted. In 2001, Assembly Bill (AB) 67 which changed the California Vehicle Code (CVC) to allow motorhomes over 40 feet in length, up to 45 feet, on certain routes. 45' motorhomes are allowed on interstates and on those State routes that can accommodate them. This is quote from DOT website.
What a lot of people probably do not know is that if you are a CA resident you need a Class B permit to operate a 45' Motorhome. CA will recognize out of state licensing for a 45', that is, if you do not need a commercial B or C in your home state you are legal in CA. 45' Motorhomes

DOT website has map of roads that 45' not allowed on.
Travel safe
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote