Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2016, 06:09 AM   #1

Maxx Air I vs Maxx Air II

After hearing and reading many positive comments, I am looking forward to purchasing a few Maxx Air vent covers. My question is in regards to which one should I purchase. Would the Maxx Air I or II be the better choice? Is there a difference between them? Would spending the extra dollars for the II be more beneficial and worth the expenditure?
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #2

Maxair II has a larger screen venting area and is intended for use with the fantastic fan type fan systems. The Maxair I s/b used over vents w/o fans.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #3

I just installed a maxx air I over the bathroom vent which has just a regular small fan.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:32 AM   #4

I installed the Max Air II, vent cover with the thought I might upgrade the fan, which has never happened. I am happy with it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #5

I have 2 Fantastic fans and 1 regular fan. So do you think I could get away with two IIs and one I?

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
Old 06-16-2016, 06:36 AM   #6

In my opinion, the II's aren't worth the extra $$. Both do the exact same thing. The manufacturer makes it sound like they're sooo much better than the regular cover. When it comes down to it, air is entering the same size hole into the TT. I just don't see spending the extra money when it can be used for other things. Like beer.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
In my opinion, the II's aren't worth the extra $$. Both do the exact same thing. The manufacturer makes it sound like they're sooo much better than the regular cover. When it comes down to it, air is entering the same size hole into the TT. I just don't see spending the extra money when it can be used for other things. Like beer.
That was my thinking as well. I am not an aerodynamic engineer, so to me a vent is a vent. I just don't think the airflow would be any different. I do like the idea of saving the extra money for beer.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
That was my thinking as well. I am not an aerodynamic engineer, so to me a vent is a vent. I just don't think the airflow would be any different. I do like the idea of saving the extra money for beer.

W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:11 AM   #9

I have Maxx air II on my unit. The reason is that they are taller and wider than the I version which allows you to open the hatch higher. If you have power lift vents you might consider it over these as you could damage the motors due to it hitting the cover frequently.

At the end of the day it's personal preference. They both perform the same key function which is keeping the rain out when open.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I have Maxx air II on my unit. The reason is that they are taller and wider than the I version which allows you to open the hatch higher. If you have power lift vents you might consider it over these as you could damage the motors due to it hitting the cover frequently.

At the end of the day it's personal preference. They both perform the same key function which is keeping the rain out when open.
Two of mine are power vents, so maybe using the Maxx Air II on those would be a good idea. At least I can save money on the other one. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #11

I prefer the Max Air II.. They are hinged and open by removing 2 pins.. So easy when you want to clean around the vent. I was told by maxair that you will not damage your motor when it hits the covers. The motor will stop when it feels resistance and is designed with having cover in mind. Also, the max air fans are already set-up to accept the Max Air II taking the guess work out of where to drill your holes and making installation so easy. I use the Max Air II over both Maxair Fans, and Max Air I over the loft, non-fan vent. (If I didn't already have from previous setup I probably would have gotten Max Air II for the loft too)

UpstateNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #12
Site Team

The II has a larger vent in the back. I have had both and I like the Maxxair II.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
The purpose of a MaxAir vent "cover" is to allow you to keep vent cap open when it rains. The air flow thru an opening dependent on several things and resistance is one. Without a vent cover you would be correct, only so much air is going to be vented based on outside wind and inside venting caused when you open windows to let air flow in or out. The issue with needing the Maxair II is based on if you want to add a fantastic or similar fan to the vent opening. Try blowing thru a straw and then do the same thing thru a 1" piece of pvc of the same length. The bigger opening allows air to be moved easier thru the bigger pipe when you try to blow into them. The fantastic fan is trying to push air out or pull it in and the size of the vent opening in the vent cover WILL impact the amount of the air it can move. The fan will have to push harder if you install the regular vent cover and that can lead to early failure of the fan.

No vent cover [just the vent cap] and a certain amount of air will flow. At a hi flow fan with no vent cover and you'll get soaked at night if it rains. Use the smaller cover and you risk failure of the fan motor and will restrict the air flow.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #14

The II's hinged open feature was the selling point for me. I don't open often, a couple time a year for cleaning, but being able to open without tools was work the $.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #15

I do appreciate all of the feedback from my fellow JOF folks. It is always a pleasure to get information from such knowledgable people that are as passionate about their RVs as I am. Thank you all for the responses.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #16

One other option is the Fantastic vent-Ultra Breeze. Goodgle it and check the video on its air flow capability vs the Max Air II.
DHARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:59 AM   #17

DHARO.. I watched the video and I do like what I see. The Fantastic cover seems to be about the same cost as the Maxx II. Certainly have some decisions to make. Thanks for the info.