Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #1

Metal Shavings on floor from kitchen slide out

We have a 2019 model 317RLOK 5th wheel and haven't had any problems with our slide outs (hope I didn't just jinx myself). However, we just started noticing these metal shavings (very small) on the floor. I've included a picture of metal shavings that we're finding on the floor after we bring kitchen slide in/out. We're finding them on vinyl floor in addition to the area shown in the attached pic.

I did notice that we didn't see these shavings until after returning from our first LONG RV trip (1800 miles RT). Which I'm sure exposed our 5th wheel to alot more jousting than what it had previously been through.

My husband is very observant and he also noticed when looking at the slide mechanisms on the outside (rails, not sure right term) you can see where the gears are not "hitting" in the middle but are hitting higher than middle.

Is this normal? We're still under warranty, but my BIGGEST concern is allowing our dealership to "jack" with the slides, may end up WORST! Kinda using the "if not broke don't fix it" since the slide is working just fine!

I will say I do "pray to the Swintec God" (ha ha) when we bring slides in/out. I've just read so many horror stories of others having major problems. But we also thought we should send pics to dealership to get this on record in case there's problems in future.

Thank you for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Slide out metal shavings June 2020.jpg  
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #2

I could be wrong but probably from the aluminum Gear teeth wearing in ....use a magnet and see if they are magnetic. Are you doing the maintenance on the slides? Good video on youtube from Schwintek about it.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #3

I had metal shavings on my 2017 Greyhawk on one side of the slide for the longest time. Seems every time we went out there were new shavings that would appear. The shavings looked mostly like what you would get from drilling through metal.

The shavings eventually quit appearing and the slide has always worked normally. I did look at the motor and slides and did not see anything out of the ordinary. Just chalked it up to Jayco not cleaning up after themselves which is very apparent if you look anywhere in the mechanical areas. I would have expected problems by now if it had been gear wear as it was a lot of shavings.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #4

I think they require some dry lube from time to time and there are some gibs that need it also.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #5

I’m having the same issue especially on the rear side of the kitchen slide. And it just started showing up on our long road trip, too. Looks like the pinion gear is grinding on the rack on the side of the teeth with the most pressure when running the slide back in. Mine is also starting to make a popping and grinding sound as I bring the slide in.

I have an appointment with the dealer in August to have them document it and see what they suggest.
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_James View Post
I’m having the same issue especially on the rear side of the kitchen slide. And it just started showing up on our long road trip, too. Looks like the pinion gear is grinding on the rack on the side of the teeth with the most pressure when running the slide back in. Mine is also starting to make a popping and grinding sound as I bring the slide in.

I have an appointment with the dealer in August to have them document it and see what they suggest.
Can you Private message me or update this thread and let me know how it goes? I'm going to email our dealership and discuss the issue with them. You basically have same model as me with exception of our TV/fireplace positions are swapped on opposite sides. I have ALWAYS been concerned with the Kitchen slide being HEAVY. I don't ever worry about the dinette slide. It's a total different slide mechanism. I just don't want someone jacking with our slide when it's working. But I also feel need to get this documented.
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #7

We've had a lot of those metal shavings, in our third year and now they are getting to be rare. Ours were bright/aluminum, and were definitely from poor cleanup during manufacture, most seemed to be coming from compartments that we couldn't get into, but had sufficient holes that, on long trips and/or rough roads the savings could work their way out. (I think they were primarily from installation of a band that keeps our water tank from moving.)
We do not have a slide, so if yours are similar, they could well be not slide related. I would assume the slide gears are not aluminum, so trying a test with a magnet might give you some comfort that it's might not be wearing gears.