Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #1

Mice in ceiling

I have a 2003 32RLTS Designer TT, new to me. I seem to have mice overhead chewing up the insulation, at least that’s what I assume because little bits of styrofoam come out of the A/C vents when I turn it on. I have read through dozens of threads on mice intrusion and prevention and have blocked everything I can think of with either steel wool or steel wool and foam. Any suggestions on how they get up there and what I can do about it??
Jagenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:20 AM   #2

A few weeks back we also heard the feet of a mouse in the roof section that we cant get to. I did what I could to make the bottom of the unit to where they couldnt get in but I figured they got in by the LP tanks up front or on the other side through the storage area.

So off to the hardware store the next day and bought a dozen Victor traps. Baited them with peanut butter and placed them all over the rig and on the out side access points. Next morning had of culprit in the forward garage. It was a logical way to the roof section for my unit.

You have to figure mice need food and water and even if there in the roof they need to go out every once and a while. They just cant resist peanut butter! Better to head it off early. With colder weather coming in they want a nice warm out of the weather condo or winter.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #3

Mice can be very destructive to wiring and other things. Irish Spring bar soap is supposed to ward them off I use 2 open bars when storing my camper. seams to work so far. Have you caught any mice or found droppings? The Styrofoam may be just old and disintegrating
Old 10-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

I had something similar happen to me a couple of years ago during winter storage. I assume mice got in through the AC unit on the roof somehow and from there into the ceiling and then into the kitchen overhead cabinets via the wiring holes. I had traps in the unit but they were on the floor and never caught anything. With the cabinet doors closed, I think the mice just stayed in the kitchen cabinets over the winter. In the spring, I found mice droppings all over the inside of the cabinets. Some stuff was chewed up like the plastic lids on spices; quite a mess! There was no food in there.

I don't know how to stop it. They probably climbed up the fabric of the winter cover and then onto the roof. Keeping the fabric and straps off the ground might help. I don't think they can climb the tires.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:12 AM   #5

I have found plenty of droppings and have caught several using the Victor traps. We keep getting the styrofoam bits
Jagenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #6

I would be surprised if they got in through a roof AC, the vents inlets are all inside a steel box and there is a gasket from the box to the roof. Maybe something could chew through the gasket but I would be surprised.

First off get under your camper and seal every crack and gap, mice can get in through a 1/4" hole. Also look along the side beams and seal any penetrations and check where your spare tire is attached. I use Great Stuff spray foam and for big openings copper mesh with spray foam to hold it in place. Inside your unit look under sinks and in cabinets and seal any holes. You also probably have a big vent somewhere that lets air from the camper cabin to the underside for the furnace, cover the back of that with stainless steal screen so anything that gets into the underside can't come in through that.

I also have a string of LED rope lights on the ground around the perimeter of teh unit because mice are shy and afraid of light.

Finally if they get in, I use Ivation Instant Electronic Rodent Trap - Rat & Mouse Zapper Trap - Provides Humane, Mess-Free Extermination of Rats, Mice, Squirrels & Other Pests baited with peanut butter. Since you have them inside you will need something like that to kill them.