Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #1

Mid bunk sewer smell

My family and I have been full-timing in my 2018 377 for about 3 weeks now. While we are loving the 5th wheel we are noticing a strange smell in the mid bunk from time to time. It smells sort of like it's coming from the black tank. Furthermore, when we had both the vents going the other day, we had the for shut for about 20 mins and then the entire RV smelt like sewer. Had anyone experienced this before and should I be concerned? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
RKusina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKusina View Post
My family and I have been full-timing in my 2018 377 for about 3 weeks now. While we are loving the 5th wheel we are noticing a strange smell in the mid bunk from time to time. It smells sort of like it's coming from the black tank. Furthermore, when we had both the vents going the other day, we had the for shut for about 20 mins and then the entire RV smelt like sewer. Had anyone experienced this before and should I be concerned? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
How often are you draining the black tank?

I have noticed it before in the mid bunk when the ceiling vent is open in the mid bunk and I have just emptied and flushed the blank tank or when it is has sat unused at my house for several weeks and then the toilet is used... That first flush after sitting awhile usually produces the odor.

The black tank vent is on the roof very close to the mid bunk ceiling vent. My rule of thumb is keep plenty of water in the blank tank and any odor is generally avoided.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmiddlebrooks View Post
How often are you draining the black tank?

I have noticed it before in the mid bunk when the ceiling vent is open in the mid bunk and I have just emptied and flushed the blank tank or when it is has sat unused at my house for several weeks and then the toilet is used... That first flush after sitting awhile usually produces the odor.

The black tank vent is on the roof very close to the mid bunk ceiling vent. My rule of thumb is keep plenty of water in the blank tank and any odor is generally avoided.
Since we are living in it I'm dumping the black tank about every 5 to 6 days (3/4 full). It doesn't seem to matter on how full it is. It seems to be mostly coming from the front slide wall of the mid bunk, which seems strange since its an outer wall. I am wondering if it's a faulty vent connection or something. Wish I had a way to check and see if that's the case.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #4

Do you have one of these waterless waste traps under the sinks? Sometimes they are faulty and allow a sewer-type smell to enter the RV. Just one possibility.
Hepvo Waterless Valve

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #5

I don't, I have the normal p trap. The smell isn't around the sink tho surprisingly.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:57 PM   #6

We had some pretty bad smells that we thought were sewer and turned out to be propane leaks. Might want to check that as well.
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post
We had some pretty bad smells that we thought were sewer and turned out to be propane leaks. Might want to check that as well.
Same here. The little portable propane canisters in my storage ubdernieth were leaking. Smells just like sewage.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote