Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2017, 06:55 AM   #1301

Great find Tom! My little one is always complaining about how warm it is in the bunk room. I had to put a fan outside the door to blow some more air in the room. I'll definitely be checking on that vent! Thank you as always!
Old 07-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #1302

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Same here Tom, thanks so very much for posting this knowledge. Our 2017.1 377 bunkhouse also has very little air flow, when either a/c is running. Back in Feb, I removed and trimmed 7 of 8 ceiling vents due exactly to this. I overlooked the loft vent. They all protrude up into the main rectangular ducting by about 5/8" acting like a windshield. After trimming 5/8" off of the 7 vents, there's a substantial improvement of airflow. Mainly to the problematic vent above the residential refer which hardly had any.

But right now, your mod will have to wait until I get over a severe bout with poison ivy on my legs i've been fighting for past 7 days. Yuck.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #1303

Hi Guys,
A few mods for the DW to the master closet I wanted to share.

1)She wanted some hooks to hold a jewelry organizer that normally hangs on the closet rod to the right side wall, and up a bit higher. So I came up with the idea of taking the plastic coat hanger it hanged on, turned it upside down, bent 3 small brass hooks with needle nose pliers to accept the hanger, an awl punch to start first hook in as high to the ceiling with scraping on turns.

2)The motion sensor would turn on the closet lights even when the doors are closed, prompting me to shield it to the outside. So I came up with a quick fix of some USPS cardboard and 1" wide 3M HD double sided foam tape cut in half taped to the ends.

3)We both got tired of the glare from the two ceiling lights, so I came up with a simple light shield. It is that 1/16" thick black sponge pad from Hobby Lobby that I'd saved in my craft bin. I cut that to 1 1/2" x 7" with 2" Gaffer tape torn in half did the trick to affix.

4)Found the perfect nook to hang my 24" level. But the first preparation of this mod was to empty the basement completely, hook up my electric leaf blower(it stores in 2 pcs), and inside 30 seconds, had a clean floor once again. Screw the vacuum on tackling this job. Just couldn't stand 9 months worth of dirt.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9171.jpg   IMG_9175.jpg   IMG_9178.jpg   IMG_9179.jpg  
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #1304

Nice work Dskyward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:39 PM   #1305

Mods to 377 RLBH?

Pulled into Junction today at 1:30. Outside was over 100 and only have 30amp hook ups. AC was having a hard time keeping the cool. So, I decided to seal the vents to the ceiling (as Dskyward has mentioned before) and trim the vents.

Vent removed. You can see the black ring that sticks into the main duct and blocks the airflow. Additionally, it isn't sealed so lots of air leaks into the "attic" space.

The black ring just snaps onto the vent. With a little prying, it will come off.

Used foil tape to seal off the gap to the "attic" space. This is the space between the ceiling and the main duct.

Reinstalled all the vents and airflow is 100% better. You can actually feel the "breeze" from the vents now where before you could barely feel any airflow unless your hand was by the vent.

For anyone experiencing poor AC performance, or even if you think your AC is working well, I HIGHLY recommend doing this. When I started this, the t-stat read 84. After an hours worth of work, it's down to 76. That's on ONE AC only and cooling a 42' fifth wheel. Outside has cooled to 90 by the time I finished so the real test will be tomorrow when it's 103 again.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #1306

Tom did you totally remove the black part off the vents or just trim the black part down??

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Tom did you totally remove the black part off the vents or just trim the black part down??

Yes, I removed the black ring totally. It's unnecessary if you seal the gap between the duct and the ceiling. That black ring doesn't seal off all the air from getting into the "attic" space. Airflow with sealed duct and no black trim is night and day different. You should do it. It really helps!

Old 07-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #1308

Thanks Tom......I do need to do this.

Jack

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
Old 07-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #1309

Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!
Old 07-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!
You can come and do mine too Dan.............LOL
Old 07-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #1311

Not a mod...not yet anyways, but my mother is a little crazy and has started Christmas shopping already. She ordered me the Joy Rider kit for the 377. The only problem is that I have to WAIT until Christmas to get it!!!
Old 07-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #1312

You better take that kit and go see Big John..........

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
Old 07-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #1313

Quote:
You better take that kit and go see Big John..........

Ain't that the truth. Between John and Tom's mods, I probably owe them a fortune!

Old 07-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #1314

Thanks Tom. Can't wait to do yours to the bunkhouse air vent flo. I'm full blown with poison ivy on both arms n legs and can't move around well due to left leg pain behind the knee.

The D is for Darin. Skyward is my online handle for being an amateur astronomer. I use skyward a lot as a username for online registrations, if it accepts, but a lot of times someone else used it first. So that's my handle here. I'll insert it into my signature soon to become more personal.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #1315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Pulled into Junction today at 1:30. Outside was over 100 and only have 30amp hook ups. AC was having a hard time keeping the cool. So, I decided to seal the vents to the ceiling (as Dskyward has mentioned before) and trim the vents.

Vent removed. You can see the black ring that sticks into the main duct and blocks the airflow. Additionally, it isn't sealed so lots of air leaks into the "attic" space.

The black ring just snaps onto the vent. With a little prying, it will come off.

Used foil tape to seal off the gap to the "attic" space. This is the space between the ceiling and the main duct.

Reinstalled all the vents and airflow is 100% better. You can actually feel the "breeze" from the vents now where before you could barely feel any airflow unless your hand was by the vent.

For anyone experiencing poor AC performance, or even if you think your AC is working well, I HIGHLY recommend doing this. When I started this, the t-stat read 84. After an hours worth of work, it's down to 76. That's on ONE AC only and cooling a 42' fifth wheel. Outside has cooled to 90 by the time I finished so the real test will be tomorrow when it's 103 again.

OMG Tom and LOL!, you mean to tell me all I needed to do was seal that gap( I never sealed mine), and TOSS the vent trim altogether? I spent all that time cutting 5/8 off those rings with an oscillating saw, and now you show I'm still not getting the max airflow? I thought I'd fixed it. O well, when I heal, I can get up in the loft and toss that last vent ring I didn't get to. But first to Lowes to get that ac duct tape. You rule, Tom!

Only 79 degrees here. ❄️��
Old 07-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #1316

Quote:
Ain't that the truth. Between John and Tom's mods, I probably owe them a fortune!

Meant to ask Dan..........how is the fan working??
Old 07-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #1317

Mods to 377 RLBH?

Quote:
Meant to ask Dan..........how is the fan working??
Works great since the DW found my screw collection and fixed it! LOL!!
Old 07-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskyward View Post
OMG Tom and LOL!, you mean to tell me all I needed to do was seal that gap( I never sealed mine), and TOSS the vent trim altogether? I spent all that time cutting 5/8 off those rings with an oscillating saw, and now you show I'm still not getting the max airflow? I thought I'd fixed it. O well, when I heal, I can get up in the loft and toss that last vent ring I didn't get to. But first to Lowes to get that ac duct tape. You rule, Tom!

Only 79 degrees here. ❄️��

Lol! Yes all you needed to do was remove the black ring and seal the gap! Good luck getting rid of the poison ivy! Ouch

Old 07-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #1319

Quote:
Not a mod...not yet anyways, but my mother is a little crazy and has started Christmas shopping already. She ordered me the Joy Rider kit for the 377. The only problem is that I have to WAIT until Christmas to get it!!!

Dog gone it Dan! You always get the good gifts. Can your family please school mine on what types of gifts to get? I really don't need any more shirts [emoji23]

Old 07-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Dog gone it Dan! You always get the good gifts. Can your family please school mine on what types of gifts to get? I really don't need any more shirts [emoji23]

It was #3 on my list tho! #1&2 were a Ranch Hand brush guard and slide toppers. Mom went with #3 the joy riders. Like I said, I still have to wait to Christmas to get them...mom's a stickler for that. You'll probably have them on yours before I actually get mine!
Hope your having a great time in West Texas!