Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #1501

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
kitchen island corner mould toe kick abrasion

Back in IN from WY (2850 miles) from a glorious total solar eclipse. Wow! Hope some of you were lucky enough to be in the centerline without clouds.

Just curious if any of you have had slide #4 come in so far to cause abrasion on the kitchen island toe kick corner mould bottom? It has torn a hole in the carpet below my recliner as the slide #4 wood flooring moves in and wedges the carpet into the corner mould. During transit all the terrible bumps encountered, this 'wing' shaped edge saws away on the corner mould wearing a hole in the carpet.

As we were getting warranty service work done at Jayco Service in July, I received some extra materials to repair the water damaged toe kick below the propane alarm on the sink side. They gave me an 8' stick of corner mould, 8' 1x4 stick of toe kick, along with some wall and base colored screen mould for other areas in the rig. But only 3 1/4" length and 2x is all that's needed for that repair...but 4x is all that is used anywhere in the rig and on the kitchen island only. So I have extra if anyone is in need.

Turns out, the corner mould is a little thicker than original. I used a Dremel with sanding drum to notch out the slide floor. I pulled in the slide 4 inches first to gain access. The Dremel made quick work, and the Shark vacuum nozzle sucked all the dust up as I was sanding. I ended up glueing the piece to avoid having to hammer brad nails. It is real wood with a thin colored laminate that peels easily. Using a sharp utility knife is better than a sawblade to score first before sawing as the laminate will just peel on you. Or just keep some colored craft paint from Hobby Lobby on hand to do touch ups.

The first picture below is the re-enactment of what it looked like before I split the piece getting it off. And of course the last picture is to celebrate before I rested. Just 1 though.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9558.jpg   IMG_9559.jpg   IMG_9560.jpg   IMG_9561.jpg   IMG_9565.jpg  

IMG_9566.jpg   IMG_9567.jpg   IMG_9568.jpg  
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #1502

Nice repair Darin. My guess is they moved the island placement to help eliminate the dented fridge. Plus, my island has a deeper toe kick than yours so I haven't had that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskyward View Post
Back in IN from WY (2850 miles) from a glorious total solar eclipse. Wow! Hope some of you were lucky enough to be in the centerline without clouds.

Just curious if any of you have had slide #4 come in so far to cause abrasion on the kitchen island toe kick corner mould bottom? It has torn a hole in the carpet below my recliner as the slide #4 wood flooring moves in and wedges the carpet into the corner mould. .
Our #4 slide hits on the front island moulding and made a dark spot almost eating through and making a hole. Now I pick the carpet up while letting slide in and make it flip up and back toward the outside to keep it from getting worse.

2017 Jayco North Point 377 RLBH
2016 Ford F350 Platinum White DRW
NitroStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Nice repair Darin. My guess is they moved the island placement to help eliminate the dented fridge. Plus, my island has a deeper toe kick than yours so I haven't had that issue.

Thanks Tom, however they didn't move the island. Slide 4 was chaffing way before then. Plus the dinette table is only 1/2" from touching the island when pulled in. I told them give me the material and let me fix the water damage to the toe kick board. I didn't want a new island (I spent a lot of time putting an under sink shelf in) or new fridge for the dented freezer door either. So we put a piece of foam pipe insulate to keep it from contacting.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Old 08-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #1505

Does anyone know why the screen door has these pins along the edges of the door frame. Looks like pins to hold a screen or cover.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
enmity02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStar View Post
Our #4 slide hits on the front island moulding and made a dark spot almost eating through and making a hole. Now I pick the carpet up while letting slide in and make it flip up and back toward the outside to keep it from getting worse.
Sorry to hear that Nitrostar. I figured I wasn't alone on this for the '17 models. If you need a replacement piece, I'll be happy to send you a 4" pc. Just give me an address. I'm guessing your local box store may have this mounding in a close color, or you might just get craft paint and cover the damage.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #1507

Darin

I don't think I got my point across clearly. I think Jayco may have relocated and redesign the island on 2017 or 2018 models to alleviate the problem of dented refrigerators. I didn't mean they moved your island specifically. My island is definitely different than yours. I'm not sure any of us with 2016 models have the same issue you're having. I could be wrong on that though.

I do add a pool noodle in transit to lessen my dent potential (it's already dented)

Old 08-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #1508

Quote:
Originally Posted by enmity02 View Post
Does anyone know why the screen door has these pins along the edges of the door frame. Looks like pins to hold a screen or cover.

You can use those to hold a piece of plexiglass to make a "storm door" of sorts.
I was actually about to do that with some smoked Lexan but got distracted due to the hurricane.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #1509

Quote:
Thanks Tom, however they didn't move the island. Slide 4 was chaffing way before then. Plus the dinette table is only 1/2" from touching the island when pulled in. I told them give me the material and let me fix the water damage to the toe kick board. I didn't want a new island (I spent a lot of time putting an under sink shelf in) or new fridge for the dented freezer door either. So we put a piece of foam pipe insulate to keep it from contacting.
I've been wanting to put a shelf in under the sink. U have any pictures of this.
1stnlast59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #1510

Quote:
Originally Posted by enmity02 View Post

I was also going to put some plexiglass in those pins. How about that Jayco floormat. Snazzy huh.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnlast59 View Post
I was also going to put some plexiglass in those pins. How about that Jayco floormat. Snazzy huh.
I actually got that mat from a factory rep when I did the factory tour. It's actually a heavy rubber mat that I plan to put outside my door at the seasonal site once I get a sized mat for the entry area.

enmity02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #1512

Hi Tom. My fridge on my '17 was also dented on delivery. My dealer replaced the door. Then, after our first trip, it was dented again. I passed on a suggested fix of moving the island. The dealer merely moved the fridge back about and inch upon the factory recommendation. I decided to live with the dent. I hope there is enough air circulation back there.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Hi Tom. My fridge on my '17 was also dented on delivery. My dealer replaced the door. Then, after our first trip, it was dented again. I passed on a suggested fix of moving the island. The dealer merely moved the fridge back about and inch upon the factory recommendation. I decided to live with the dent. I hope there is enough air circulation back there.

Interesting. Did you find any clearance problems opening the doors after the fridge being moved back an inch? I'm not sure I can move mine back without the edges of the doors hitting the cabinet frame. I'll do some looking once the rain stops

Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #1514

Quote:
Darin

I don't think I got my point across clearly. I think Jayco may have relocated and redesign the island on 2017 or 2018 models to alleviate the problem of dented refrigerators. I didn't mean they moved your island specifically. My island is definitely different than yours. I'm not sure any of us with 2016 models have the same issue you're having. I could be wrong on that though.

I do add a pool noodle in transit to lessen my dent potential (it's already dented)

Sorry Tom, I couldn't tell timeframe by the wording. During service last month, If they had moved the island away from the fridge, to keep it from denting further, even an 1/8" the carpet would have a larger hole and the corner mould would be worn through from the greater friction. Certainly the toe tick would have to be deeper to allow encroachment of the leading edge of slide floor 'wing'. As you meant, maybe they did after all and forgot to adjust the toe kick depth? For 'kicks' my toe kick width is 18 1/4" either end. Yours?

Try on these 2017 slide #4 measurements with your 2016: distance between dinette table top (folded) and island styles (2016s dont have styles) below countertop is 36.5". App. 1/2" space is left when the slide is retracted. Carpet edge (which moves) to island toe kick is 32 1/2" at either end of the island, not to the corner mould. Now lift carpet edge up below recliner and measure same and I get 35 1/16" to the 'wing' floor edge that moves. However, it's exactly 35" at the sink end, and there is no chaffing to that corner mould. I could re-examine the outer weatherstripping to compare the gaps. I'd assume the island may be slightly off parallel.

My carpet already bends down the additional difference when it runs into the toe kick. I guess I should note the dinette table is never level when the slide is extended. Round pencils roll to the window rather quickly.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #1515

My measurements for dinette to island is about the same as yours. However, my slide out edge under the carpet is 35-1/2" which leads me to believe I have a deeper toe kick than you

Old 08-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #1516

Kitchen island sink shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnlast59 View Post
I've been wanting to put a shelf in under the sink. U have any pictures of this.
Hi 1stnlast59,
Here at my detailed pics of the kitchen sink shelf you requested. It was requested by the DW back in Nov. We were at Seawind RV resort near Riviera TX, over Thanksgiving and Christmas. They had a fully equipped carpentry shop there among many other amenities and I thought I had taken a picture before and posted it. To borrow any saws, caretaker 'Dave' there always asks 'show me your hands'. He's looking for any missing fingers.

Shelf center ht is 13 5/8" from bottom rail. 1/2" plywood was used. This gives a 13 3/8" opening to the bottom area, which was priority. Not only will it allow easy removal of the sink cutouts, it allows me to store my two prized heirloom Tracor trays that dad had acquired while he worked there in the 60s. Plus the microwave convection wire shelf can fit nicely too. The top area gains 12 1/2" opening for other items. The cutouts for the peetrap are about 1/2" gap all around perimeter. The gap at shelf rear leaves all room for pex tubes.

Notice the factory corner plumbing cover was tossed. Also, note the 2 side cleats and front style cleat, plus a rear 1 1/4" sq leg brace, which is just glued at top and bottom. It actually tilts in a little at the top. One thing I should mention, the right wall was 3/4" out of square at the bottom and so I had to remove the 3 drawers to access the screwed floor cleat to correct. Plus I had to move the sink cutout blocks over as well. If you do have to make this correction, be sure to inspect the drawer guides wood attachments. I think I had to put more secure screws in. I didn't stain or Thompson water seal it, or add screen mould to cover the front. I know the DW hates the smell from any stain or water seal it would give off if I did treat it, so I left it bare.

The DW said the white wire rack was acquired years ago before we met, so not sure if one of the box stores or online will still have one like it. It serves well on the floor. Side note- the top shelf organizer is a tight fit between sink and front style, but can be removed if you know where to push.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9586.jpg   IMG_9584.jpg   IMG_9585.jpg   IMG_9580.jpg   IMG_9587.jpg  

IMG_9589.jpg  
Old 08-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #1517

Quote:
Hi 1stnlast59,
Here at my detailed pics of the kitchen sink shelf you requested. It was requested by the DW back in Nov. We were at Seawind RV resort near Riviera TX, over Thanksgiving and Christmas. They had a fully equipped carpentry shop there among many other amenities and I thought I had taken a picture before and posted it. To borrow any saws, caretaker 'Dave' there always asks 'show me your hands'. He's looking for any missing fingers.

Shelf center ht is 13 5/8" from bottom rail. 1/2" plywood was used. This gives a 13 3/8" opening to the bottom area, which was priority. Not only will it allow easy removal of the sink cutouts, it allows me to store my two prized heirloom Tracor trays that dad had acquired while he worked there in the 60s. Plus the microwave convection wire shelf can fit nicely too. The top area gains 12 1/2" opening for other items. The cutouts for the peetrap are about 1/2" gap all around perimeter. The gap at shelf rear leaves all room for pex tubes.

Notice the factory corner plumbing cover was tossed. Also, note the 2 side cleats and front style cleat, plus a rear 1 1/4" sq leg brace, which is just glued at top and bottom. It actually tilts in a little at the top. One thing I should mention, the right wall was 3/4" out of square at the bottom and so I had to remove the 3 drawers to access the screwed floor cleat to correct. Plus I had to move the sink cutout blocks over as well. If you do have to make this correction, be sure to inspect the drawer guides wood attachments. I think I had to put more secure screws in. I didn't stain or Thompson water seal it, or add screen mould to cover the front. I know the DW hates the smell from any stain or water seal it would give off if I did treat it, so I left it bare.

The DW said the white wire rack was acquired years ago before we met, so not sure if one of the box stores or online will still have one like it. It serves well on the floor. Side note- the top shelf organizer is a tight fit between sink and front style, but can be removed if you know where to push.
Thanks man. I like it. I'll have to try and make one for mine soon. Right now it's just a big open hole with a lot of waisted space.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #1518

You're quite welcome. Lots of space under there so I know what you mean. It gives you a good feeling of accomplishment after a valiant effort. Can't tell you how many trips up n down the stairs it took to completion. I can't believe I misspelled the second word 'are' above in my post. must have previewed it ten times. I blame my iPhone keyboard logic.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:18 PM   #1519

Quote:
My measurements for dinette to island is about the same as yours. However, my slide out edge under the carpet is 35-1/2" which leads me to believe I have a deeper toe kick than you

Yes, you have about 1/2" more space than mine. My toe kick is 18.25" on either end measured at the corner mould outside edge. Might I guess yours may be 17.75" then?
Old 08-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #1520

Darin,

Oddly my island is also 18.25"