Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #1

Molding Separation

I was able to capture a picture of this finally. Basically, the molding (trim) is disconnecting. See attached picture. I was told multiple times not worry by my dealer's service department as I kept noticing the clear sealant ripping in this area due to movement. (As you can see the clear seam is stretching making it white instead of clear) I know this seam shouldn't move. I have forwarded this picture to my dealer basically telling them "Look here is exactly what I am talking about. Can you fix this issue or do I need to go somewhere else or call Jayco." It separates as the trailer moves down the highway with the twisting and such of uneven surfaces.

Now onto my point of this post. Has anyone experienced this? We have had this 5ver since February and LOVE IT. The 325BHQS is the perfect floor plan for my large family. People that have had this issue, what was the solution? Was there some bad structure or what? I have kinda told my sales guy on the phone that if they don't know the solution without opening, then I am unsure if they are the right people to fix it. I would appreciate it WAY more if they would admit that if thats true or not and setup with Jayco than pull it apart to play with it possible make it worse. My dealings and my family (We have 4 other Jaycos in my family) have been good with this dealer as they solely deal in Jayco. So I do not think they are bad so hoping for a good outcome. Sorry part of this post is just frustration as I pointed out this issue from the beginning.
Attached Thumbnails
20180803_170004.jpg  
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #2

I too have a 2017 Jayco 5er. Mind does the same thing. In fact I have seen a lot of them like this. I think the factory gets in a hurry and just applies the silicone bead on a dirty surface too fast, resulting in too thin of bead. As it dries, it will shrink as you can see. I don't believe there is any structure problems.

All this of course, is just my personal opinion.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7349 View Post
I too have a 2017 Jayco 5er. Mind does the same thing. In fact I have seen a lot of them like this. I think the factory gets in a hurry and just applies the silicone bead on a dirty surface too fast, resulting in too thin of bead. As it dries, it will shrink as you can see. I don't believe there is any structure problems.

All this of course, is just my personal opinion.
O that sealant has been reapplied by both the dealer and myself multiple times. Do you see the Grey? That is the main body color... the white is the area that is suppose to be covered by the trim. Behind the sealant that is stretching is no fiberglass... in those dark holes you see in the sealant if you look at in person you can see inside the 5ver. The trim is dropped about 1/2 minimum from factory location.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #4

I just happen to catch it flexed like that... I had originally seen just the sealant ripping. If you see the faint line of white above where it's grey. That's normally where the trim edge sits if y'all get what I am trying to describe.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #5

I believe I’ve had this problem too as have several others. What happened was the screws holding the panel under the cap in place are pulling out of whatever they are screwed into (maybe wood) and allowing the panel to drop. A couple of folks have addressed this by using longer screws that can reach some of the metal frame. This was the approach I used and it pulled the panel back into place and I freshened the sealant.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

Search the forum as this is a common issue. The factory uses short small screws that doesn't reach the frame. My dealer fixed mine buy using larger longer screws into the frame. The tech says he does this repair very often. He did both my sides under warranty.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #7

I have searched... maybe I am using wrong terms. I had found exactly what you said via Google in different place. Dealer claims to have already done this when my concern was first brought up soon after getting it. Sorry should have mentioned that. Part of reason they had been saying don't worry about it. Due to them saying that being done makes me believe something structural is going on plus the continued movement.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggins View Post
I have searched... maybe I am using wrong terms. I had found exactly what you said via Google in different place. Dealer claims to have already done this when my concern was first brought up soon after getting it. Sorry should have mentioned that. Part of reason they had been saying don't worry about it. Due to them saying that being done makes me believe something structural is going on plus the continued movement.
Or they didn't repair it properly.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #9

That trim definitely needs to be sealed. Water will enter that open seam and run downhill from there (behind the trim)---coating everything with water on its way down. Over time not a good thing.

As for your concern about something going on structurally, some 5th wheels do flex quite a bit in this area. What constitutes too much is definitely open to debate. Have you checked/measured for movement in this area while hitching or unhitching? If it's enough concern to you, you may also want to consider strategically placing a video camera in different locations to verify how much dynamic movement you have while your rig is going down the road.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggins View Post
Try this link.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-53956.html

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #11

Mine did the same thing the dealer fixed it up, longer screws into the aluminum above looks like new!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #12

Silicone will always move...that's part of the appeal of silicone. Last thing you want is a ridged adhesive since the whole RV is moving and twisting. I would let them fix it and not worry about it.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #13

I have a 2017 28.5. My bud has a 2014 26.5. He pointed out to me camping earlier this year that my trim was drooping about 1/4". He told me his was too last year and he added some clear silicone. I am going to go get the 3" coated deck screws today with some clear caulk and redo mine to flush again. Thanks for all the good recommendations.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #14

All
Be careful how long a screw you use. I swapped a longer screw under there on previous 5th wheel. End of the screw surfaced in the closet track. It was not nice on the toe. Let the dealer fix it.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #15

Mine ended up being the 1" screws had just backed out on one side allowing it to droop about 1/8". The other side didnt droop at all. I re-tightened both sides with some adhesive and clear caulked the seam. All back in the correct place and will hopefully stay that way.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #16

I pulled mine apart and one side was missing five screws. The screws that’s were there were all crooked. I replaced with stainless steel deck screws. For what we pay for these rigs to have such shoddy workmanship. I would have built it in my driveway if Jayco could send me all the pieces.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #17

Had a bunch of Harbor Freight rivets pop pop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is! Painted head of rivets with felt marker. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
xxxcamper.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #18

Cracked Frame

A friend of mine had the same problem and it turned out to be the frame in the "goose neck" of the chassis. It had large cracks that you could see opening up when he put the trailer on the truck with the skin off.

"Clifford the Big Red Dodge" and "Moby"
dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote