Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #1

Molding separation

Good morning all,
I was just taking the trailer back to storage and noticed that the molding under the bedroom portion/5th wheel portion seems to be separating from the siding. It's a corner piece and there's no gap on the lower side. This is happening on both the driver and passenger sides of the trailer but seems to be a little worse on the driver side. The trailer is a 2018 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS. I pushed up on it and it doesn't seem like the molding is loose as if the screws had pulled out. I put a lot of pressure on it and it didn't move more then a fraction of an inch. I looked toward the top, and it doesn't appear that there's any movement at the molding near the roof. I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this, and if it may be a sign of a more serious structural issue.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer moulding 1.jpg   trailer moulding 2.jpg  
riddleswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #2

Good news/bad news-

Good news- There is at least one other thread on here that goes into this topic very thoroughly. It's common. Many rv'ers fix this with bigger and longer screws. Check the other threads for details.

Bad news- I guess with a 2018, you're out of warranty. On our 2019, we've had the same thing fixed at the local dealer- separated again. Then we took it back to the factory, and they put longer screws in it. Held for a while- but it's back at the factory again right now to fix it right- I assume that they will take the side off and strengthen the frame. Major surgery.
We also have now developed the famous "sidewall crack" and Jayco is dealing with that now, too.

But many on here are happy with the "longer screw" fix.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #3

Check this out-

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ate-61943.html
Old 05-14-2021, 02:10 PM   #4

Thank you SO MUCH!!! I will do the longer screws into the metal, re-seal it, and hopefully solve my issue. We love the trailer and have used it a ton. We bought it last year after our Jayflight was stolen! Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Good news/bad news-
Good news- There is at least one other thread on here that goes into this topic very thoroughly. It's common. Many rv'ers fix this with bigger and longer screws. Check the other threads for details. Bad news- I guess with a 2018, you're out of warranty. On our 2019, we've had the same thing fixed at the local dealer- separated again. Then we took it back to the factory, and they put longer screws in it. Held for a while- but it's back at the factory again right now to fix it right- I assume that they will take the side off and strengthen the frame. Major surgery. We also have now developed the famous "sidewall crack" and Jayco is dealing with that now, too. But many on here are happy with the "longer screw" fix.
It's almost like needed a back-up RV if you want to go camping anymore
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
It's almost like needed a back-up RV if you want to go camping anymore
LOL My wife and I were just discussing that idea
the other day. This is our last round of warranty issues. months of downtime, but we have still squeezed in 21 states of camping.
After (or should I say If) we get if back this time, new issues will be fixed by me if I can, or anyone but the dealer if I can't.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #7

Here is the tread that helped me when I posted the same issue a few years back.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-53956.html

I pulled the center part of the trim out and installed 3 inch screws, long enough to reach the frame. I also put a jack under mine to make sure I moved it back up all the way prior to installing the new screws. This is one of those common problems many experience because Jayco didn't use screws long enough to secure the underbelly to the frame. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #8

Mine took 5” screws to hold it in place.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

Mine is starting to sag after two years. How long and what type screws should I use? How long would I need to tap into the metal frame. Do you pre-drill? Any first hand suggestions would be appreciated. I want to tackle the problem so it doesn't get worse. Here's pics of both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Trim Sag1.jpg   Trim Sag2.jpg  
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 05-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #10

Read the thread posted by LeagleEagle....
Old 05-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #11

frame construction

Ours is at the Jayco factory service center right now for both the sidewall crack and the molding separation. Don't know how they plan to fix it.

Side note- We've been on factory tours, and were shocked to see that the aluminum frames are STAPLED together in some places.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:02 AM   #12

Same issues on my 2017 28.5. I first added bigger screws. Then added more screws. Still kept sagging so I bit the bullet and did the 3.5" screws into the metal. So far holding just fine and been over a year.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #13

I have been on a trip to Mt Rushmore. I have had the molding sag where there was open space between the sides and molding. I read the information regarding what others did. I purchased 3 1/2" quality deck screws and a 1/8" long drill drill bit to go through each screw hole and to make a hole into the frame. I did this up to 8-10 inches before the side marker light. I didn't want to risk hitting the side marker wiring since I was drilling blind and didn't know which way the wires were. When I screwed the deck screws into the frame it pulled the molding into the original position it was suppose to be in. I have driven approx 1000 miles since the fix and the molding has not moved. I will use rv flex when I get home to re-seal the molding. Shame on Jayco for using 1 inch screws drilling into the wood. I did both sides so I hopefully will not have this problem again. Good luck to you.
Truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman View Post
I have been on a trip to Mt Rushmore. I have had the molding sag where there was open space between the sides and molding. I read the information regarding what others did. I purchased 3 1/2" quality deck screws and a 1/8" long drill drill bit to go through each screw hole and to make a hole into the frame. I did this up to 8-10 inches before the side marker light. I didn't want to risk hitting the side marker wiring since I was drilling blind and didn't know which way the wires were. When I screwed the deck screws into the frame it pulled the molding into the original position it was suppose to be in. I have driven approx 1000 miles since the fix and the molding has not moved. I will use rv flex when I get home to re-seal the molding. Shame on Jayco for using 1 inch screws drilling into the wood. I did both sides so I hopefully will not have this problem again. Good luck to you.
Exactly what type screws did you use?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 06-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #15

I just bought a premium deck screw from ace hardware, 3 1/2". I don't recall the name.
Truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:01 AM   #16

I hope this was reported to Jayco as it seems to be a common issue. I called them and they said they weren’t aware of this problem! a if everyone will call she said there epwould be a recall and it would be fixed for free!
Lindaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:03 AM   #17

Please report this issue to Jayco! They said they weren’t aware of the issue!!if they get enough reports they will d a recall and fix for free!
Old 06-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaks View Post
Please report this issue to Jayco! They said they weren’t aware of the issue!!if they get enough reports they will d a recall and fix for free!
Maybe the person you talked to at Jayco wasn't aware, but it's a known, common issue. Ours is at the factory right now having it repaired for the 3rd time.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:31 PM   #19

Hi, we are having the issue. Did you end up using longer screws? Is it holding up?

Thanks LisaB
LisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:03 PM   #20

Yes we put in 4 " screws in to the frame. The ones Jayco used were just into the wood. So far they have held. We broke about 8 drill bits in the process!