Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #1

More Questions.

First I want to tank everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge. So with that said does anyone know a trick to empting the Norcold ice makers? So far I have been taking paper towels and soaking up the water to keep it from molding while the RV is in storage.

Next is we are wanting to purchase a surge protector for our 50 amp service. is there a big difference between a $100.00 and a $350.00 protectors? A freeing purchased a EMS PT50X. He was told that this was the best and not to waist his money on a cheaper type.
Dsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #2

Dsykes, water and the ice maker. Not sure what model RV you have but it should have a valve that you can cut off that sends water to the fridge. My RV has two and they are located in two separate spots. Find yours and cut it off. I cut my off as I am leaving from my last camping trip of the year and before winterizing. As for the Summer, I just deal with the little bit of water that is there. Surge protection. I have a 50 AMP service and I prefer portable protection therefore; I use Surge Guard 34850. You can find them for around $300 and I believe will worth the purchase. You can also have them hard-wired. I do not like that as when they hard-wire them, mostly likely it will be in a spot that you cannot see the front of the panel. Not always, but most of the time. Hope this helps. Happy camping. SKIDAWG
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #3

Sorry, don't know about the ice maker, I don't have one.

As for the EMS, I like the idea of a portable one, but I fear theft, so I will install a hard-wired one (an EMS, not a surge protector). They come with a wired remote display that can be put just about anywhere, so you don't need to see the face of the unit itself.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #4

Here is what I have hardwired in my basement. It has gone off over 20x's for low voltage mostly.

Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C | RV Energy Management Systems

Having the remote display is nice to see why you may not have power and the error code.

There are good arguments for both hard vs plug. So it's a personal choice in the end. Forget or loose one once and I guess that will end that argument. There's enough "stuff" I tote around and hook up upon arrival. This is just one less thing I need to worry about.

Also when my unit is outside all winter and plugged in, the EMS is protected from the elements which I am sure would eventually catch up to it.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Sorry, don't know about the ice maker, I don't have one.

As for the EMS, I like the idea of a portable one, but I fear theft, so I will install a hard-wired one (an EMS, not a surge protector). They come with a wired remote display that can be put just about anywhere, so you don't need to see the face of the unit itself.
I have the Surge Guard 30 Amp (Catalog Item # 81277)
I didn't trust the plastic box they sell to help prevent theft so I got a rubberized chain, wrapped the chain around the bottom Surge Guard plug and used a padlock. I then wrapped the bottom part of the chain around the RV 30 Amp plug after connecting to the surge guard and pad lock it as well.

Advice everyone should have a surge protector of some type as I can attest that mine has saved my rig electrical system numerous timed from both HIGH (183 volts and a LOW of 78 volts at the pedestal multiple times in one day) Found out after I reported it to the maintenance guys and they had electricians come in there was an issue with 4 of the 5 pedestal boxes in that line.

The guy beside me on his first outing with a brand new 28BHBE had his entire electrical system FRIED. Even the bottom left pin on the plug was melted.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:56 AM   #6

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #7

We had the surge guard 50 amp and had a power surge that blew out convertor, invertor, washing machine, etc. Got a second one because we thought it was defective. Had another surge w same problem. Then we bought Progressive and have had zero issues since then. We really don't know much about electricity and surges, but we are now sole on the Progressive surge protector. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsykes View Post
So with that said does anyone know a trick to empting the Norcold ice makers? So far I have been taking paper towels and soaking up the water to keep it from molding while the RV is in storage.
***Be sure to either drain the ice maker completely or run antifreeze through it for winter storage. Any water left in it will destroy it if/when it freezes.