Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2021, 11:19 AM   #1

MorRyde IS suspension and disc brakes

After installing the Roadmaster Shock system still not getting the ride I want. Have an appointment with MorRyde to have the IS suspension installed with disc brakes. Busy place! Earliest I could get in was 11/1. Looking forward to a smooth ride. Have a friend who had it installed on her Solitude and she can't say enough good things about it.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #2

No comparison between leaf suspension with or without shocks to independent torsion suspension. Leaf with shocks is as good as it gets for that type of suspension. Independent suspension is always the best ride.

Too rich for my cheapness. Fortunately my leaf suspension with Roadmaster shocks and Morryde 3000's, she's smoother than the truck at times. Lol Made a world of difference. Though I would strongly recommend disc brakes to anyone. Best mod I've ever done was disc brakes.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #3

Earl where did you get your disc brakes and shocks at?

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Earl where did you get your disc brakes and shocks at?

Marko
I bought the brake kits and actuator from Eastern Marine. They were the cheapest at the time. I didn't buy a whole kit. Couldn't find one I liked. So I bought Kodiak disc kits and the hydrastar actuator separate. I bought my own Nicopp brake tubing and had custom made to order DOT SS braided hoses made.

Here is the link to my post on my install.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6/disc-brake-conversion-project-started-69952.html

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:11 AM   #5

In 2018 we went to Mor-Ryde and had the IS and Brakes installed - $5500 at the time.
A cool adventure - you camp in their parking lot the night before and then they take your rig inside the factory and you actually can stay in it overnight, we got a factory tour and had them add a sliding cargo tray in the basement and the then “Steps Above”
I honestly after two years can’t tell the difference between the standard axles and IS - stuf still falls inside the rig when traveling and as far as handling I cannot notice a difference
The disc brakes - worth their weight in gold! They really make a difference in stopping and especially an overweight rig like mine - won’t have one without them
GeorgiaTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:48 AM   #6

Disc brakes should be MANDATORY on the larger 5th's. What a difference it made on mine!
Here's the link to my conversion mod last year.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...mod-73495.html

Mopar Earl gave me the idea for the custom brake hoses. Thanks Earl!! I got mine as a kit from stop your trailer .com. They are out of Florida. Make sure you do the Kodiak rotors like Earl has. In my kit I got 2 Kodiak and 2 Titan. Little mix up due to some buying/merging of component companies and the start of the COVID nonsense didn't help things either. I also have the Kodiak rotors.
I got my kit for about $2k shipped. I got another $1000 - $1200 into mine. I went WAY above, just because. Lol!
Old 02-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #7

Had the 8K Independent Suspension and disc brakes installed on our 5th wheel in 2019. Best investment in my opinion. Ride and braking dramatically improved. Also had the IS on our first 5th wheel, a 2001 Jayco Eagle.
I have always been of the opinion that the better the ride for the trailer the less wear and tear it will receive.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharris205 View Post
Had the 8K Independent Suspension and disc brakes installed on our 5th wheel in 2019.
Same here, also in 2019. I will agree with others that the disk brake upgrade is almost a requirement on the heavier fifth wheels. The best safety upgrade you can do. The independent suspension (with weight upgrade to 8k "axles") is not as mind blowing but allows a little more loading of the RV (yes, not legally) and certainly should be less wear for the frame and interior.
rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:02 PM   #9

My disc brakes got installed today by Performance Trailer Braking. The installer knew what he was doing and did a very professional looking job. I won't tow it until later this month but I did hook up the truck and verify everything worked as it should. Our previous fifth wheel had discs so I'm very familiar with how good they are.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #10

What is the weight difference between the standard suspension and the independent suspension?
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar57 View Post
What is the weight difference between the standard suspension and the independent suspension?
According to MORyde IS weighs 300-350# per axle. Dont think leaf suspension would be much less
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashers View Post
Same here, also in 2019. I will agree with others that the disk brake upgrade is almost a requirement on the heavier fifth wheels. The best safety upgrade you can do. The independent suspension (with weight upgrade to 8k "axles") is not as mind blowing but allows a little more loading of the RV (yes, not legally) and certainly should be less wear for the frame and interior.
I can only speak to my experiences but the IS Suspension is certainly an improvement over the factory suspension. In my case the trailer would bounce 5-6-7 times when hitting the expansion joints on a freeway overpass prior to having the IS Suspension installed. After the IS installation the trailer bounces only 2-3 times and the bounce is no where near as violent under the same circumstances.
I had the IS installed in our first 5th wheel in 2003 after the living room chair in the back flipped going across I-69 in Michigan. Went across that same stretch of highway later that fall after having the IS installed and the chair never moved.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharris205 View Post
snip...

I had the IS installed in our first 5th wheel in 2003 after the living room chair in the back flipped going across I-69 in Michigan. Went across that same stretch of highway later that fall after having the IS installed and the chair never moved.
I dont care what end of the state you are traveling I-69 at, it all SUCKS!
Per our moron Governor " fix the damn roads!"
And how's that working out for her?
IMO, about as well as the COVID lockdown agenda she has, which almost got her kidnapped.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:10 PM   #14

We are having IS and brakes done but we're not able to get an appointment till 2022, this was based on traveling back to the snowbelt was NOT happening. We were put on the cancelation Iist and hope for the best. Was told that the video put out on YouTube by Changing Lanes increased their orders this year by 100. Got to thank them personally for bumping me out till then, hope they didn't take it personally. Just want to have the brakes done before we head out west.
Gamehunter is offline   Reply With Quote