Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2021, 06:01 AM   #1

MorRyde Step above entry Steps love / hate

I have a love - hate relationship with the MorRyde entry steps installed on my 5er. I like the stability and that they are sized well for the unit but that's about it. Negatives are- you have to fiddle with adjusting the lower legs. If they are out too far the entry door will not close without hitting the top of the steps and potentially bending the door. Most sites are not level so this is a constant issue. Then I auto level thinking I'm gonna bend the steps or force them onto the door bottom. Pull into a rest area and the steps stick out practically into the next parking space. Then there's the dirt (and water issue if it's raining) that fall inside the unit when you lift them up inside. If you were a seasonal RVer and didn't move much I think they would be great. We rarely stay in one place over 1 week, the steps just annoy me. Has anyone changed them out for a traditional folding step, or am I the only love / hater?
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:40 AM   #2

I replaced our MorRyde steps with Tork Lift Uprising folding steps. They still go inside but we don't seem to have the issue of dirt getting inside like we did with the MorRyde. They have 5 steps instead of 4 making it a little easier to climb. There is an adjustment for the feet but I set them when I first got them installed and so far have not had to do any more adjusting even for temporary stops. We could not get the MorRyde steps to open in our tight rv garage as they would hit the wall. Not a problem with the Tork Lift. They are pricey but I was able to sell the MorRyde's for about half of what I paid for the Tork Lift.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0382 (2).jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0384 (2).jpg   thumbnail_IMG_0381 (2).jpg  
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Our 2011 rig's folding steel, 3 steps are worn out, several rivets have busted or or near breaking. One of the treads had a loose rivet that was causing the whole thing to feel unstable. I ordered the Lippert 4 step Aluminum folding step to replace it before one of us had a fall.

It should be here today from Amazon and I hope to get it installed ASAP as we leave in a week.

We decided to stay away from the inside steps for many of the same reasons already listed. I also like the Glow steps but they are way to expensive for my pocket book.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #4

I replaced my OEM steps about 5 years ago with the GlowStep. My model fits the same place as the OEM steps did and they work great on tight or uneven sites. I would do it again in a minute and for full time use the price just wasn't an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Step.jpg   20160414_083427.jpg   20160414_083409.jpg   20160411_084733.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #5

I bought the Moryd removable steps more so because of what you stated about the water etc. getting into the camper when you close em up. That was my main concern mainly because of huntin camp an all that wet clay an dirt
Old 06-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #6

I love mine, never had one issue with them.
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #7

ARoamer… you state the EXACT reasons why I don’t want/hate those steps, and I’m glad I wasn’t forced into them like all new buyers are. I seriously think there should be an option. They work for some, they definitely don’t work for all. I have zero problems with the steps on my 2016.
I can’t even imagine my frustration with the Moreryde steps.
Just to start.. my steps hang off my driveway over the lawn that slopes, the constant adjusting would drive me crazy. Not to mention the feet sinking in when it gets wet.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Our 2011 rig's folding steel, 3 steps are worn out, several rivets have busted or or near breaking. One of the treads had a loose rivet that was causing the whole thing to feel unstable. I ordered the Lippert 4 step Aluminum folding step to replace it before one of us had a fall.

It should be here today from Amazon and I hope to get it installed ASAP as we leave in a week.

We decided to stay away from the inside steps for many of the same reasons already listed. I also like the Glow steps but they are way to expensive for my pocket book.
Back to the drawing board! My Lippert quad steps came in today and they do not fit my rig. It would take some metal fabrication to make them fit so back to Amazon they go! Put my old steps back on until we get back from this trip.

Drat!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-17-2021, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I have a love - hate relationship with the MorRyde entry steps installed on my 5er. I like the stability and that they are sized well for the unit but that's about it. Negatives are- you have to fiddle with adjusting the lower legs. If they are out too far the entry door will not close without hitting the top of the steps and potentially bending the door. Most sites are not level so this is a constant issue. Then I auto level thinking I'm gonna bend the steps or force them onto the door bottom. Pull into a rest area and the steps stick out practically into the next parking space. Then there's the dirt (and water issue if it's raining) that fall inside the unit when you lift them up inside. If you were a seasonal RVer and didn't move much I think they would be great. We rarely stay in one place over 1 week, the steps just annoy me. Has anyone changed them out for a traditional folding step, or am I the only love / hater?
I had the same issue with the stairs,,,Dealer switched out the stairs with a 4 step model which this trailer needed for the height of it. Second set still had the door issue when leveled. Dealers can not comprehend why the doors will not close and simply slam them shut. Mine was so bad that the bottom of the door was out 1/2inch at the bottom and not sealed. The cure is very simple...need to add a little more bend on one of the bends. Took 15 with the use of a friends brake in his shop. The spec they are using is off a bit for the bends and that is why this issue exists. Mine are perfect now.
Digsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I replaced our MorRyde steps with Tork Lift Uprising folding steps. They still go inside but we don't seem to have the issue of dirt getting inside like we did with the MorRyde. They have 5 steps instead of 4 making it a little easier to climb. There is an adjustment for the feet but I set them when I first got them installed and so far have not had to do any more adjusting even for temporary stops. We could not get the MorRyde steps to open in our tight rv garage as they would hit the wall. Not a problem with the Tork Lift. They are pricey but I was able to sell the MorRyde's for about half of what I paid for the Tork Lift.

I like those, so what is the dimension I have been looking or looking at changing mines to these?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

Hey can you take a pics and post it?
Old 06-18-2021, 06:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I like those, so what is the dimension I have been looking or looking at changing mines to these?
I have the A9005 model number. The width requirement for the 5th wheel is 28" between the door frame flanges. The 5 step will work with heights of 34 7/8" to 42 7/8" measured from the ground to the bottom of the door frame. I would assume this is measured with the 5th wheel fairly level. The TorkLift website has the information you need to help decide which model will work with yours. I would bet you could just call and ask. That is what I did.

Tweety's had the best price when I bought mine. I ordered it one afternoon and it was sitting at my door the next day.

I'm not sure exactly what I did as it has been a while but I had to modify the interior door facing trim as the interior connecting points are different than the MorRyde step.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Hey can you take a pics and post it?
They were the 28" wide Lippert Quad step. I already returned them and re-installed my old ones.

In order to get them on my rig, I would have had to get a L shaped bracket welded on the back of each side to clear the frame on my rig and hold it off and allow it to be attached to the frame on the bottom. Also the spacing on the top holes was 1/2 inch different from my old ones. We are headed out for a month long trip next and I could not get it done before we leave.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-23-2021, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I bought the Moryd removable steps more so because of what you stated about the water etc. getting into the camper when you close em up. That was my main concern mainly because of huntin camp an all that wet clay an dirt
X2
We specifically ordered our 5er with the traditional pull out steps, for access to unit when in storage and rest areas. Brought the Moryd removable steps for when we are in a campground for more than a day. Only issue found is making room for storing the removable step while traveling whether in one of the bays or the bed of the truck.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I have the A9005 model number. The width requirement for the 5th wheel is 28" between the door frame flanges. The 5 step will work with heights of 34 7/8" to 42 7/8" measured from the ground to the bottom of the door frame. I would assume this is measured with the 5th wheel fairly level. The TorkLift website has the information you need to help decide which model will work with yours. I would bet you could just call and ask. That is what I did.

Tweety's had the best price when I bought mine. I ordered it one afternoon and it was sitting at my door the next day.

I'm not sure exactly what I did as it has been a while but I had to modify the interior door facing trim as the interior connecting points are different than the MorRyde step.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you?

Nevermind I went back you had them in the earlier post.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
X2

We specifically ordered our 5er with the traditional pull out steps, for access to unit when in storage and rest areas. Brought the Moryd removable steps for when we are in a campground for more than a day. Only issue found is making room for storing the removable step while traveling whether in one of the bays or the bed of the truck.
Storage is the only down fall. We have a 28ft SLX with no place to store them. Store em in the garage an haul em in the bed of truck. But the slight inconvenience is far out weighed by how solid they are. Next step may be to get that storage box they sell that fits were the factory steps are.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
X2
X2. Best investment we made. I just put them in the back of my truck when traveling.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #18

My problem with the morryde steps is that only one leg is adjustable. One clicks and slides fine and the other seems to be stuck in one position until I pull out the persuader i.e. 3lb sledge. Can I buy just the leg?
Shaun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #19

MorRyde was very responsive when I emailed them with a question. Include the sn/model off of the tag.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:55 PM   #20

Like “Ed” I bought the GlowStep, went from a 3 step to a 4 which was a big improvement.
And as Norty points out, it was a bit $$ but worth every $0.01 to me, even better that the Bride loves em.
I did the install myself and needed my floor Jack to lift them into place, they’re not super heavy but needed a free hand to get the nuts started. Bolted into the original space just fine.
I’m a fan!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote