Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2024, 06:33 PM   #1

Mosquitoes, I hate em

We returned a few days ago from a short trip and parked under our shed as usual. The weather has turned to summer and the humidity is getting high. Both AC units ran quite a bit on the trip. Climbed on the roof to do some cleaning this morning and when I sprayed around the AC units about a zillion mosquitoes came out.
Question: Is it possible the AC frames can hold water while traveling down the highway and give those pests a place to breed?
Any thoughts?
heyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 06:59 PM   #2

It shouldn't if the drains are clean.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:03 PM   #3

I wouldn’t have thought a red wasp would be able to hang on for as far as we went either but… when we left home there was one attached to the rear awning with several of the boogers hanging on. They were still there when we parked at the campsite.
The drains are not completely plugged as water was running out of both AC units while we were there. I suppose they could be holding some. I plan to take a cover off and see what’s underneath
Old 06-18-2024, 10:27 AM   #4

Today I took the cover off the rear AC and it was as dry as a bone. The drain holes were clear and no trash was under the cover. Makes me wonder what the mosquitoes are finding so appealing about the air conditioning covers as they were still as thick as the 1st day I found them.
Any pest control people out there with a good idea?
Old 06-18-2024, 11:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyDC View Post
Today I took the cover off the rear AC and it was as dry as a bone. The drain holes were clear and no trash was under the cover. Makes me wonder what the mosquitoes are finding so appealing about the air conditioning covers as they were still as thick as the 1st day I found them.
Any pest control people out there with a good idea?
While I have my Private Pesticide applicators license (which means I have taken the classes and passed the tests and required continuing education), I am not what I would call myself as a pest control person. In any case, I suspect that there was water under the A/C cover and it had recently dried up just after the mosquitos hatched which is why they were still there.

I would recommend using "Bifen IT" (or similar Bifenthrin product) as it is pet and people safe for the most part (in particular when it has dried, although a pet drinking any A/C condensate under the A/C cover would be unlikely anyway, but perhaps condensate runoff could be a concern). Permethrin products are also very popular however they don't last very long especially in the heat and sunlight where as Bifenthrin will continue to be effective for a month or so. ~CA

BTW and FYI, I recommend using Bifenthrin spray as mosquito eggs can lie dormant for a very long time (month's, upwards to a year or so, and can survive the winter in many locations), and then hatch whenever water is available. Point being, your issues may not be over even if you don't see any mosquitos for a while.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice. I am not opposed to trying Bifenthrin but will research it first. It could possibly help around our patio as well. Why Noah let 2 on the boat I’ll never know.