Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #1

Motorized Awning Screws

I am a new member of this group and am not sure I am posting this in the right area. We picked up our new 2012 Jayco 30.5rls and took our maiden camping trip not far from our dealer. Jayco's floor plan and ammenities are the best this time around (this is our 5th Jayco 5th wheel). We did have a major problem, though with our motorized awning. When we put it down the first time, the frame pulled out from the wall of our unit. It seems that the screws were too short and they missed the mark when they screwed it on at the factory. We were afraid to go home like this because the wind pressure could cause us to lose our whole awning. Thanks to an visit/on-site call from our favorite dealer, 7 O's, they are correcting the problem. I have read in previous blogs about Jayco's short screws being used. I hope they read this.
clayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #2

Hey Clayart! Welcome to the Jayco Forum - glad you found us. If you have time, come on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself.

Also - if you have a new issue you would like to discuss - feel free to post a new topic, just hit "new topic" when you are viewing a forum group such as "Jayco 5th Wheels".

As far as your problem - sorry to hear that you had a problem on your maiden voyage, but hopefully that is it! Sounds like Jayco and your dealer are taking good care of you getting it corrected. That was a smart move camping not far from home the first time to get everything a good shakedown.

Feel free to post any questions or jump in anytime on a conversation.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

We have been reading with interest some of the issues that others have described since we are on an extended Alaska/Yukon trip (maiden voyage for the Jayco) and have been on many challenging roads. Happily, we can report that, structurally, everything is working great.

However, as others have mentioned, the finish work is an issue. The guys with the screw guns and staplers have really done a dis-service to an otherwise great 5th wheel. We have found stripped screws almost every place in the trailer including the supports for the couch (wood frame fell apart), the trim around the fridge, table base to floor ( the remaining two are still holding), and the belly enclosure. The staples in some of the trim failed, eg. facia trim on one slide came loose. We have great dealer who took care of some other minor stuff before we left so know they will address these issues as well.

One question we have is why Jayco would provide a place for a satellite receiver immediately below the HD TV but put the cable connections in the closet behind the bedroom TV? And, the space in the closet won't hold the larger HD receivers!! Can't imagine why they did that when other models have the connections right in the main TV bay---makes it hard to run an HDMI cord from the receiver to the TV!! So, we will have to figure out a solution when we return.
geo/kim Edgerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #4

I agree that the sat receiver should be mounted under the living room TV not in the bedroom. These trailers should have a component selector switch for each TV in the trailer and a separate input on the exterior of the rv for SAT to living area TV. I have owned many rv's and have can not believe in this day and age Jayco builds trailers wired the way they do for TV.
I love my trailer and it works well with a couple of other small issues but this is a huge mistake by Jayco!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #5

I hope you have better luck with your 2012. My 2010 has several major issues. i cant wiat to get off my job and take it to the dealer. we will see what kind of character they have based on this experience. The excitement wore off when the fridge crapped out 2 months after purchase and i lost 100.00 worth of food. its been down hill since. AC shouldnt be an issue in Canada, but in Texas its tough. two airs wont cool our 365 BHS.
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote