Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #41

The only issue you should have with electrical interference is if you run your Coax in close proximity and parallel to the power lines feeding the A/C unit. Keep all A/C power wires separate from the signal wires and you will be fine.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #42

Yes I have some advice, hurry up and install it so you can see if it fails before your warranty is up. I've been parked in the same spot for 7 months now. Travler worked flawlessly for 5 straight months of glorious HD feed.

Suddenly stopped working and started searching for the satellites like the first time I turned it on. 5 hours later I turned it off because it was still up there whirling around at 10pm. Called winegard technical and talked to Tyler, great guy. Asked for pictures of the unit so he could assess if the feed arm was bent. Sent a new one. Didn't fix it. Called back, they sent me a whole new Turret. removed the 47lb. old one and installed the new one. Didn't fix it. Called back and he said it has to be the LNB(Directv part), sent that and it still didn't fix it. This was all over a 6 WEEK PROCESS. Meanwhile I'm paying $180/month for all the Directv services I'm not getting. The only two remaining pieces from my original dish are the power box with user settings and the actual round Dish that we moved over to the new turret. Tyler's supervisor (captain asshat) has determined that I need to pull the whole unit off the RV and send it to them so they can evaluate whats wrong with it, even after they tested the LAST turret and they said it worked fine!

The unit is supposed to turn itself off after 20 minutes of searching for signal but this one will search for 5+ hours just like the last one! Only common denominator, the power box that I can adjust settings and powers the device/stows the device... But they won't send me a new power box, instead they want the whole brand new Travler we've piece milled together shipped back to them?! Thank God for Amazon! I'm replacing this hunk of junk, starting with the box that winegard refuses to send me.

If its still unopened I recommend returning it and rebuying it so you have a whole year of warranty!
Old 04-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansbass1 View Post
Yes I have some advice, hurry up and install it so you can see if it fails before your warranty is up. I've been parked in the same spot for 7 months now. Travler worked flawlessly for 5 straight months of glorious HD feed.

Suddenly stopped working and started searching for the satellites like the first time I turned it on. 5 hours later I turned it off because it was still up there whirling around at 10pm. Called winegard technical and talked to Tyler, great guy. Asked for pictures of the unit so he could assess if the feed arm was bent. Sent a new one. Didn't fix it. Called back, they sent me a whole new Turret. removed the 47lb. old one and installed the new one. Didn't fix it. Called back and he said it has to be the LNB(Directv part), sent that and it still didn't fix it. This was all over a 6 WEEK PROCESS. Meanwhile I'm paying $180/month for all the Directv services I'm not getting. The only two remaining pieces from my original dish are the power box with user settings and the actual round Dish that we moved over to the new turret. Tyler's supervisor (captain asshat) has determined that I need to pull the whole unit off the RV and send it to them so they can evaluate whats wrong with it, even after they tested the LAST turret and they said it worked fine!

The unit is supposed to turn itself off after 20 minutes of searching for signal but this one will search for 5+ hours just like the last one! Only common denominator, the power box that I can adjust settings and powers the device/stows the device... But they won't send me a new power box, instead they want the whole brand new Travler we've piece milled together shipped back to them?! Thank God for Amazon! I'm replacing this hunk of junk, starting with the box that winegard refuses to send me.

If its still unopened I recommend returning it and rebuying it so you have a whole year of warranty!
Brother, you sure aren't having much luck! Hearing the issue, my first hunch would've been that it was the control box. Why aren't they trying one of those?
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
The only issue you should have with electrical interference is if you run your Coax in close proximity and parallel to the power lines feeding the A/C unit. Keep all A/C power wires separate from the signal wires and you will be fine.
Well, I'm mounting the unit just aft of my front AC, which is only 9" tall. But there are likely going to be times that the dish aligns so that the LNB is over top of the AC by several inches. Just didn't know if the AC would generate a field strong enough that would disrupt the signal reception. As for the power wires, I'll have to double check that. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
Brother, you sure aren't having much luck! Hearing the issue, my first hunch would've been that it was the control box. Why aren't they trying one of those?
They're trying to convince me that the box doesn't do anything but power it on, the dish is supposed to have all the brains. But not one person in the whole department could explain to me why BOTH the turrets failed to lay themselves down after failing to find signal in 20 minutes like they said it SHOULD do. Like I said, one common denominator. It's beyond frustrating, especially when they say it could take up to two weeks. Well... amazon prime got me a new one in 2 days. I honestly thought winegard had great customer service up until the last week when common sense left the building.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #46

Quote:
They're trying to convince me that the box doesn't do anything but power it on, the dish is supposed to have all the brains. But not one person in the whole department could explain to me why BOTH the turrets failed to lay themselves down after failing to find signal in 20 minutes like they said it SHOULD do. Like I said, one common denominator. It's beyond frustrating, especially when they say it could take up to two weeks. Well... amazon prime got me a new one in 2 days. I honestly thought winegard had great customer service up until the last week when common sense left the building.
Sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with Wineguard. Camping (Glamping) is supposed to be fun. As complex as these rigs are, the probability of issues arising are high and it does not take much of an issue to make an outing less than fun. Hearing you tell of your experience with the company makes me concerned about my choosing Wineguard. With these concerns in mind, your advice in returning then repurchasing is priceless. The warrantee is your only hope to any resolution.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #47

Well in my first post about my issue I did say that Tyler was great. They did a great job at replacing everything they thought was wrong then they just gave up.

I told Tyler I wanted a box and he had didn't have the authority after they had already sent me the most expensive part, the turret. I had to wait two days for HIS boss to call me so I could tell them how ridiculous their decision not to send a box was on a Friday afternoon, he told me he'd ask "The Warranty Department" if he could send me a box but it was unlikely because they're positive the box won't fix my issue, even though everything else is brand new... it wasn't until this last Monday that he called me to tell me that they rejected my request and wanted me to lug the whole thing to UPS and ship it to them. That's when I lost it.

However according to Tyler, this is a super rare case, everything else should have fixed my problem by now. Don't be discouraged from buying them, just make sure you use the crap out of it while it's under warranty so they can fix anything that "normally" breaks I guess. My carry-out worked fine for 3 years before this...
Old 04-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Thank God for Amazon! I'm replacing this hunk of junk, starting with the box that winegard refuses to send me.
Are you replacing it with another brand or using Amazon to replace with another Trav'ler?
Old 04-06-2017, 06:13 AM   #49

Quote:
Are you replacing it with another brand or using Amazon to replace with another Trav'ler?
Replacing with another Trav'ler to get my service back and hopefully prove a point. Winegard wants me to wait two weeks while they test brand new equipment and a faulty box at the expense of my time, labor and money. Amazon Prime got me a new one in two days. THAT'S customer service!

I called Directv yesterday to put my account on hold and it took over an hour to get some credits to cover some of the time but of course they wanted to know why I didn't tell them so they could send a technician... I'm sure anybody who's dealt with Directv knows they have 0 experience with RV's and its the most useless conversations ever. Anyway, when I got to the Cancellation Department we made some progress. Still cost me money.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #50

Have you had a chance to try the new power box yet, or haven't you received it from Amazon yet? And will you get a refund on your previous unit from winegard?

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
Old 04-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Have you had a chance to try the new power box yet, or haven't you received it from Amazon yet? And will you get a refund on your previous unit from winegard?
It'll be here today, I'm returning the dish to amazon and winegard can figure it out. Not my problem anymore. I'll make sure to post my findings this afternoon.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #52

Well I changed out the box and it's still been searching for 35 minutes... looks like they were right. Now it's time to swap the whole thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #53

Have you verified your cable runs are intact? And has there been any new construction or changes to things that might interfere with the signal? I ask that last bit as you said you haven't moved your 5er in several months.

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
Old 04-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Have you verified your cable runs are intact? And has there been any new construction or changes to things that might interfere with the signal? I ask that last bit as you said you haven't moved your 5er in several months.

Swapped the whole thing and it locked on to all three satellites in 14 minutes! Only other thing that changed was the dish and the coax on the feed arm that I moved from the old turret to the new one. I forgot about that cable until I was up there looking at it! I'm willing to bet that's what it was, it was tight on both sides but I guess it went bad.

Anyway the old one is already at UPS and I'm watching glorious HD tv again in 3 days rather than two weeks.

The more I thought about it the more I think Winegard should have just gotten my credit card # and sent me a whole new one in case I kept it or whatever scared them I to inconveniencing the hell out of me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 12:00 AM   #55

You'd think they would have had some insight into this issue! But then, they should have also known that the time limitation for searching out the signal was other than what they told you. Classic issue of not knowing their product too well!