Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #1

Moving an Eagle HT with the slides out?

I just moved my 28.5RSTS about 4 feet to get the tires off of boards (I had it sitting on the boards because the frost wasn’t out of the ground 2 weeks ago, now I want the grass to grow).

I pulled the slides in, moved it and put the slides back out. I was wondering if cycling the slides (twice) put more wear on things than just leaving the slides out for “tiny” moves. Any thoughts?

Second question, do any of you put the slides out without putting down the rear stabilizers? Does that stress the structure?
Old 04-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #2

I always put my slide out BEFORE putting down the stabilizers. Stabilizers have been known to twist the frame slightly and I do not want to be running my slide in or out under that condition. I it the stabilizers up BEFORE bringing in the slide.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

DavidJay,

I will always bring the slides in even with "tiny" moves... sudden movements could compromise slide tracking, established extended placement, and leveling condition of TT.

I level my TT first, followed by bringing the stabilizers down to maintain a level TT frame...., then extend the slide(s). I recheck the stabilizers because depending on ground surface condition (dirt, grass, asphalt, etc.) it's not uncommon for a stabilizer(s) to raise ever so slightly (opposite side of slide) due to the overhung weight effect of the extended slide(s).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
DavidJay,

I will always bring the slides in even with "tiny" moves... sudden movements may effect slide tracking, extended placement, and leveling of TT, FW, etc..

I level my TT followed by bringing the stabilizers down to maintain a level TT frame...., extending slide(s) follow. I recheck the stabilizers because depending on ground surface condition (dirt, grass, asphalt, etc.) it's not uncommon for a stabilizer(s) to raise ever so slightly (opposite side of slide) due to the overhung weight effect of the extended slide(s).

Bob
X2 Bob,

I always level, stabilize, then the slide goes out. The stabilizer jacks will need to be rechecked after the slide comes out.

My know-it-all brother-in-law USED TO bring out his slides before leveling until he ran into problems with his slides. "Pay no attention to the guy (me) who pretty much goes by the book and who never has issues."
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #5

Quote:
DavidJay,

I will always bring the slides in even with "tiny" moves... sudden movements could compromise slide tracking, established extended placement, and leveling condition of TT.

I level my TT first, followed by bringing the stabilizers down to maintain a level TT frame...., then extend the slide(s). I recheck the stabilizers because depending on ground surface condition (dirt, grass, asphalt, etc.) it's not uncommon for a stabilizer(s) to raise ever so slightly (opposite side of slide) due to the overhung weight effect of the extended slide(s).

Bob
x3

I’ll check the stabilizers periodically during the stay too, especially if on soft ground, gravel, dirt etc.
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:05 AM   #6

Quote:
DavidJay,

Bob
X4. Haven’t had any problems. I would definitely pull the slides in before moving the short distance.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:24 AM   #7

I will put out our kitchen slide when we're stopped for a quick lunch break on the road to get at the fridge. I don't see any issue with this. Everywhere we've stopped, its been an asphalt, level parking lot, so I don't see any undo stress being forced on the slide out. Plus it is only a 7ft slide and only goes out about 16". My large 15' slide I wait with until we are unhitched and stabalizers down. That slide has more "flex" to it, so I want to make sure I don't mess it up.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #8

On my 3rd trailer with slides. I will deploy them level and unlevel with and without the stabilizers down. No issues. When using it, I auto level and put the stabilizers down then the slides. When breaking camp, slides in, then stabilizers, then hitch height.
I definitely would not move it with the slides out.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #9

Thanks all. I have been following this practice but wondered what others were doing.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
DavidJay,

Bob
X5

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #11

I would recommend bringing in the slide prior to moving the unit. I'm not an expert but common sense suggests to me that the extended weight of the slide has to stress the structure.
Jacotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
On my 3rd trailer with slides. I will deploy them level and unlevel with and without the stabilizers down. No issues. When using it, I auto level and put the stabilizers down then the slides. When breaking camp, slides in, then stabilizers, then hitch height.
I definitely would not move it with the slides out.

Earl
I'm probably overly cautious w/ our slides, but I wonder what/ or if there are any effects because the RV dealers have the slides out whether the unit is level or not and never stabilized.
Jacotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacotim View Post
I'm probably overly cautious w/ our slides, but I wonder what/ or if there are any effects because the RV dealers have the slides out whether the unit is level or not and never stabilized.
Yes there are effects when RV dealers have the slides out whether the unit is level or not and never stabilized.... a malfunctioning slide as soon as you get it home!

For your own sake, keep staying overly cautious!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #14

I did have an issue the other trip. My wife beat me with her inside work and pulled in the slides while I had the auto level feature still engaged. I noticed our passenger side slide (of our HT 27.5 rlts) would not fully close - it was about 2" from closing. I had her run in the slide a few times and the same result. I told her to leave it, and we may be forced to go home with it and take it to CW to fix. We were only 45 mins from home and would not be on highway. As I was getting ready to hitch up, I dis-engaged the rear levels and it popped right in!
Old 04-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #15
Site Team

I never move my rig with the slides out.

When parking, I level it, open slides, then put down the rear stabilizers. They don't lift it, just stabilize. When leaving the first thing is retract the stabilizers, slides in, then hookup the hitch.

I have never had any problems using this method.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #16

Sorry, I mis-read the question and thought auto-level system. Yes, stabilizers are not meant to lift the unit, while the auto-level system is.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:52 AM   #17

I do the outside work and the wife does the inside work. I am always ready before she is and we have 3 animals to deal with. I routinely will move a few feet forward or back with the slides out to remove the plastic pads under the tires while I am waiting for her to finish up. No problems yet with dozens of trips over 2 years now.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote