Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2021, 05:47 AM   #1

My New Furrion Camera works for 6 minutes

I purchased my New 36FBTS with the rear and side cameras. When I picked up my unit at the dealer I exchanged the 5" screen for a 7" screen and paid the difference.

We got it hooked up and working and about 6 minutes after I left the dealer the camera quit working. I have a 2018 RAM 3500 Dually

I discovered the 20 amp fuse on the trailer lights circuit had blown. After replacing 2 more fuses at $22. a pop after 6 minutes. I tried to contact Furrion.

Because of Covid you have to leave a message and some one will contact you in two days and they give you a case number. It has been over a week and no reply plus I sent in another request.

Can this be real???
GeorgiaTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:46 AM   #2

You have something with a short to ground on the light circuit. It's one of those where a call to the dealer or see if manufacturer will authorize a rv mobile tech.
Frustrating to say the least
Myself I would be checking all the camera connections made make sure they are taped up and secure

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTrains View Post
I discovered the 20 amp fuse on the trailer lights circuit had blown. After replacing 2 more fuses at $22. a pop after 6 minutes. I tried to contact Furrion.
The fuse in your truck for the trailer lights?
Old 07-25-2021, 07:02 AM   #4

Remove the cameras and check wiring…. Sounds to me like there is a short somewhere.

6 mins of just sitting there with no movement, or 6 mins of traveling down the road?

Next replacement on the fuse, get a resettable fuse (kind of like a gfci outlet in function. It trips but can be reset).
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #5

Yes 10-4 on checking the camera connections - the weird thing is the cameras work great for 6 minutes - does that sound like a short?
Old 07-25-2021, 06:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The fuse in your truck for the trailer lights?
My truck. A week before I towed my friends new 36FBTS from Missouri back to Georgia with the same type Furrion setup and it worked great all the way - that tells me the problem is either in my signal circuit on my rig or a problem with the Furrion camera - what do you think?
Old 07-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021JayFlight28BHS View Post
Remove the cameras and check wiring…. Sounds to me like there is a short somewhere.

6 mins of just sitting there with no movement, or 6 mins of traveling down the road?

Next replacement on the fuse, get a resettable fuse (kind of like a gfci outlet in function. It trips but can be reset).
6 minutes of traveling down the road and working perfect for 6 minutes

Don’t know how you would put a gfci in the Ram fuse box? I would still be stopping every 6 minutes to reset - got to keep digging
Old 07-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #8

So traveling down the road could jiggle a wire.

Ok on the fuse… I thought you meant the 30 amp on the trailer…. Now I’m wondering if it’s your truck…. Or the trailer.

To isolate your truck being the problem jump a battery to the corresponding terminals on the 7 pin. You can find charts on line.

What is the 30 amp fuse on the truck labeled? Is it the 12v feed to charge the battery? Do the lights on trailer still work after fuse is blown?
Old 07-25-2021, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
My truck. A week before I towed my friends new 36FBTS from Missouri back to Georgia with the same type Furrion setup and it worked great all the way - that tells me the problem is either in my signal circuit on my rig or a problem with the Furrion camera - what do you think?
Since it appears to be an overload vs a short it may very well be the transmitter for the cameras.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:07 AM   #10

Quote:
So traveling down the road could jiggle a wire.

Ok on the fuse… I thought you meant the 30 amp on the trailer…. Now I’m wondering if it’s your truck…. Or the trailer.

To isolate your truck being the problem jump a battery to the corresponding terminals on the 7 pin. You can find charts on line.

What is the 30 amp fuse on the truck labeled? Is it the 12v feed to charge the battery? Do the lights on trailer still work after fuse is blown?
To be specific it does occur when the truck is moving, I hadn't really thought to just let the truck sit and idle for 6 minutes to see if it blows the fuse.

The Ram fusebox identifies all of the trailer circuits and the one that blows is a 20 amp fuse ($11. at Ram Dealer). This particular circuit is for the marker lights which I have been told powers the cameras. The brake and turn lights work but are on a different circuit.

Personally I think the Screen itself is shorting out -
Old 07-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #11

Quote:
To be specific it does occur when the truck is moving, I hadn't really thought to just let the truck sit and idle for 6 minutes to see if it blows the fuse.

The Ram fusebox identifies all of the trailer circuits and the one that blows is a 20 amp fuse ($11. at Ram Dealer). This particular circuit is for the marker lights which I have been told powers the cameras. The brake and turn lights work but are on a different circuit.

Personally I think the Screen itself is shorting out -
So the screen should be plugged into a cigarette lighter socket which would be a diff circuit (if like mine). So I think that would rule that out….

Trying running the marker lights off of a battery and see if it works…. Still would still send a signal to screen.

But I would put a 20 amp inline blade fuse between on the power wire and see what happens.

Buy your fuses at parts store prob much cheaper….

I once has a situation where a screw was they a wire, wasn’t enough to blow the fuse at least at first…. But would eventually pull too many amps and blow….
Old 07-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
So the screen should be plugged into a cigarette lighter socket which would be a diff circuit (if like mine). So I think that would rule that out….

Trying running the marker lights off of a battery and see if it works…. Still would still send a signal to screen.

But I would put a 20 amp inline blade fuse between on the power wire and see what happens.

Buy your fuses at parts store prob much cheaper….

I once has a situation where a screw was they a wire, wasn’t enough to blow the fuse at least at first…. But would eventually pull too many amps and blow….
Thanks for the comments - I am always leary of aftermarket parts hence I buy my parts from a dealer - maybe pay a little more but, I have a great dealer.

I was finally able to talk to Furrion (through e-mails) and they suggested I go back to the dealer and exchange it through JAYCO Warranty. Since I paid the difference from a 5" screen to upgrade to the 7" screen the dealer is unsure how to handle it.

They are talking with each other so I am hoping for a fair outcome.

Will let ya'll know.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #13

So it's been narrowed down to being a screen problem and not a camera problem?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
So it's been narrowed down to being a screen problem and not a camera problem?
Yes I believe that is the case - waiting to see what Furrion decides between a warranty through the dealer or Jayco
Old 07-28-2021, 03:55 AM   #15

Furrion came to the rescue. I just received a notice they are shipping me a new screen and sending a return tag for the bad one.

Happy day!
Old 07-28-2021, 04:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Furrion came to the rescue. I just received a notice they are shipping me a new screen and sending a return tag for the bad one.

Happy day!
Sweet, hopefully that resolves your issue.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #17

Mine went out , it was a Scotch-lock type connector in rear behind camera that was too big for wires. Pre wired from the factory that way too. Had cut out hardwired and heat shrinked fixed mine. All good now.
2020 Jayco 27.5RLTS HT
CampOn1908 is offline   Reply With Quote