Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

Need a New Awning

Hey Guys, I have a 1998 Jayvo 5th wheel 285 BHS. Looking to upgrade my awning. Its a manuel one, so where's the best place to buy for a good price. Do I have to get it from the dealer? Mine is a coloured one, but I would like an all white one. Its a 15x8 size. Thanks for the help.
agentzoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Do you plan to have someone install it? That may be the determining factor. Basically there are only Carefree of Colorado and A&E to choose from. Research and do it.

Many of my friends have replace theirs with the electrics. It's just up to you.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #3

Previous owner replaced the awning on my 2004 21Fb with a Carefree in 2009. When I recently bought the TT from him, I noted it had dirt stains and marks on it indicating it had been rolled up wet at least once. I scrubbed it with hot soapy water and brought it back to near-new condition. I am happy.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #4

Need a New Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentzoey View Post
Hey Guys, I have a 1998 Jayvo 5th wheel 285 BHS. Looking to upgrade my awning. Its a manuel one, so where's the best place to buy for a good price. Do I have to get it from the dealer? Mine is a coloured one, but I would like an all white one. Its a 15x8 size. Thanks for the help.

I just had a new carefree 20 fter installed on mine. I had a white one on it originally but went with a dark one and couldn't be happier. What a difference in the way the newer style roll up . We just had 4 inches of rain and i went out to open the awning up and let it dry and to my surprise it wasn't that wet. The new one also has the deflapper built in .Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370366299.009405.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	8360
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #5

Awning fabric is available from many sources. Most of the various RV catalogs (Camping World, etc. ) have many styles listed. Unless you are mechanically inclined and have good help, they can be difficult and dangerous to replace. The springs are very strong and if they slip can be dangerous than throw wrenches in all directions. That said, there are several sites on the internet that provide instructions. I replaced mine after mice got under the cover and shewed their way to the aluminum tube. Even tension on each end is important or one side will roll faster than the other. The rivets that hold the end caps on need to be removed and replaced when done, so you will need an 1/8" rivet gun. Most RV dealers have the large rivets. If you know what you are doing it will take less than an hour. Took me about 3 hours. Had the installation complete only to find that I did not wind the spring tight enough and it wouldn't retract all the way. Had to remove the fabric and start over. I broke a spring once and had the dealer replace it. Cost was reasonable and if it didn't work, all I had to do was take it back. One tip, when drilling the rivets out, make sure that you get all of the small pieces out. The tail of the rivets will eventually get caught in the gears/direction lever and the awning will not retract. Good luck.
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote