Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Need a new hitch - help needed!

My new Jayco Eagle 30.5 DBSA fiver is on order and I need to purchase a hitch for my Chev Silverado 2500 HD D/A. After reading posts on this site I've decided to purchase a slider unit but don't want to go overboard with the cost. We are typically weekend campers with two week long trips each summer. Can you offer some of your favorite brands? I'm looking at the Curt Manufacturing 16616 E5 Fifth Wheel Head, R5 Roller and Mounting Rails. Is this a good choice for my Silverado 2500HD?
mdordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #2

Dont know about the sliders but my Curt hitch (Q5) is awesome!
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #3

Can't help ya with the hitch, but like to welcome you to the Jayco Owners Forum!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #4

If you have a short box truck you definately need a slider hitch. It is real easy to turn to sharp and ding the cab of your truck. Husky is also a popular hitch company. You may also check out Craigs List and find a good price.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #5

How long is your bed. Most of the fivers have an extended king pin hitch and if you have a 6.75 or 6.50 bed thats 6 and 3/4th foot or 6 and 1/2 foot bed then you could get by without a slider hitch unless you get in a real tight spot and have to make a really sharp turn. I bought a slider for my 6 1/2 foot bed and have never used the slider. I installed a reese 15K slider cost me $875 including installation and wiring. Most other places wanted $1200 plus, for other brand hitch and installation. If you have a real short bed and definatley need a slider then get a good one if you are going into tight places and doing sharp turns. They also have auto sliders but they run upwards of 2000 or more installed.
Just my 02 cents worth.
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #6

I have the Valley Industries (Husky and Valley are the same exact hitch) 20K slider. I am selling it since we sold our 5th wheel and went back to a travel trailer. The hitch was only used one season and is in excellent shape. PM me for more details.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #7

You will get lots of advise on this topic. I chose the Reese Signature Series (non slider) Hitch , with a Sidewinder Pin Box (Reese Revolution Jayco Option). This is a really great set-up for many reasons, weight of hitch, clean bed when removed, no sliders levers to remember to pull.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #8

Thanks everyone! I ended up ordering a Valley 16K hitch with a manual slider for what I feel is a very economical price of $443.00. I appreciate everyone sharing their expertise and opinions.
mdordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #9

MD~See my post under "Newbie Mistakes". Watch the back of the pinbox to the tailgate when engaging the slider. Ours missed by about an inch and I have now a U shaped tailgate. This after being told by the dealer that the tailgate should always be up when moving. I have now discovered unless we are going to jacknife the thing, the slider is not needed.

We also have a Curt slider. It "clanks" unacceptably. It even scared the snot out of the techs at our service center when I picked up the Jayco for the lift work. Not a safety thing, had it checked, it holds fine, just has a lot of slop in it. Think we could have done better for $995.
Camping AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping AZ View Post
MD~See my post under "Newbie Mistakes". Watch the back of the pinbox to the tailgate when engaging the slider. Ours missed by about an inch and I have now a U shaped tailgate. This after being told by the dealer that the tailgate should always be up when moving. I have now discovered unless we are going to jacknife the thing, the slider is not needed.
Boy your post got me to thinking and I went out and measured my Pin box. although the slider only slides 10 Inches, it just may hit the tailgate when extended. I am going to hook up leave the tailgate down and extend the slider and then see if the tailgate hits when putting it up. If so, I will buy another 5th wheel tail gate so I will have the clearance. I ruined a Tailgate on a dodge a long time ago and bought a 5th wheel gate and never had anymore problems. I now have a ford diesel and would hate to ruin a tailgate as they are expensive. cheaper to buy a Stromberg 5th wheel tailgate with the cutout in the center. under $200. BTW you can't leave the tailgate down and turn, it would hit the front of the fiver under the overhang when turning.
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote