Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
tld

Need Advice - Picking Up New Fifth Wheel from Dealer

I'm taking delivery tomorrow on my new Eagle fifth wheel. This is my first RV! So, I'm looking for advice from all of you pros on what questions I should be asking the dealer and what I should be checking on and looking for as I'm walked through and instructed on the rig's operation. Thanks in advance for your insight.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

Make sure that you fully understand everything that comes out of his/her mouth.during the walk thru,have them operate everything and you operate the same thing while they watch you! Make sure that they pressure test the water system and check for leaks.please don't do like I did we did the walk thru during a good ole Florida thunder storm,reschedule the walk thru if needed. I am sure I've missed quite a bit,good luck!
Gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld View Post
I'm taking delivery tomorrow on my new Eagle fifth wheel. This is my first RV! So, I'm looking for advice from all of you pros on what questions I should be asking the dealer and what I should be checking on and looking for as I'm walked through and instructed on the rig's operation. Thanks in advance for your insight.
There are many RV Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) Checklists that you can use to help guide you through what to look at / for and inspect before taking final delivery.

If you do a Google search on "RV Pre Delivery Inspection Checklist" or just "RV PDI" you'll come up with a lot of different types of PDIs. Here are a couple that seem very thorough:

- RV Life Style PDI

- New & Used RV PDI

Hope this helps.
Good luck and make sure you take your time to go over everything and don't let the dealership rush you.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #4

Looking back on when we picked up our Eagle, I really wish I would have spent a little more time going over the slideouts and how to open or close them manually in case of a failure. I also should have spent more time in the water compartment in order to understand all of the on/off valves and their operation.
Exhaust Brake. Curt Q20 Hitch
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Your phone video function works very well for those long, many step procedures. There is a long list, but do not feel rushed and ask a lot of questions. The excitement can get distracting as can kids if you have some with you. If you can avoid having any kids around while going over the systems is my suggestion especially since this is your first.

Slide operation, landing gear operation and water systems are critical. If you have a control panel for the water system let them explain it all to you as you can cook your water heater if you don't follow certain steps and make sure it's full prior to use.

Also make sure your route home is clear of any height restrictions or low bridges, limbs. Average height of a 5th is 12'6" to 13'2" under most conditions so know your route. And if you haven't towed before have them give you a quick 101 how a 5th works over the road. You need to swing wider on your turns than other trailers due to tracking.

Congrats and good luck!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #6

Gilly and 3'senough both talked about the slide-outs. This is probably one of the most important thing that you understand! You don't want to be at your campsite packing up and have a slide-out failure and not know how to get the slides in manually. You obviously can't go down the road with a slide out in the out position. It is also quite possible that you will have 2 different types of slide-outs. The procedure will be different. The second point is the leveling system and landing gear. Know how to manually move the landing gear. I'll also second the water panel and all the valves. This will be important so you don't flood your new 5vr and be sure you have water in your hot water heater before you turn it on.

Let us know how your PDI goes.
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
tld

Thanks to everyone for the great responses. The RV Life Style PDI link was really great for creating a comprehensive list of what to check and ask about. Again, many thanks to all of you.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

Don't make the same mistake that we made.... In other words, don't let them RUSH you! Take your time, ask questions, make sure that EVERYTHING works!
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Looking back on when we picked up our Eagle, I really wish I would have spent a little more time going over the slideouts and how to open or close them manually in case of a failure.
+1
Had one fail on a prior 5W and had to get the manual out that gave a generic insert crank handle into hole ---- WHERE? Took awhile, book should say remove front panel on couch and insert crank ......
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #10

There are several check lists here on this site. Some are even Stickys.

Bottom line, do not let them rush you. Do NOT sign off until everything is fixed!!!!

Be thorough.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
+1
Had one fail on a prior 5W and had to get the manual out that gave a generic insert crank handle into hole ---- WHERE? Took awhile, book should say remove front panel on couch and insert crank ......
I must say this worries me the most. Had our unit for over 2 years and have not had a failure. Looked at the book and studied on line but still don't know if I could get it closed in an emergency. Without actually operating it manually, it would be a touch and go situation. I still plan on getting under the unit and pulling the insulation cover down and taking a look. One day.....

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote