Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #1

Need epdm roof recoated

The roof on my Eagle 266FBS needs to be recoated with the white stuff. "stuff" ? There is black showing on most of it. It's a 2000 and I'm wondering if it's worth it to fix. I've heard several estimates from friends from $200-$400. I think they're wrong. Does anyone know the average price to recoat roof and reseal lap caulk?? Just a ball park figure will do. Thanks.
yardvarkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

The "paint" we used on our Eagle costs about $35.00 per gallon and we applied 3 gallons with a minimal amount left- JMHO- DD
Old 06-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #3

Did you do the job yourself or hire someone? I wanted to let someone that knows how, to do the job. White coat and lap caulk. I'm not able to get on the roof of my TT.
yardvarkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Do a little reading on the manufacturers website. I read that the white coating is for looks and if the black coating under it is not torn or leaking it can easily be restored by coating it with EPDM coating products.

If I could not do it myself, I would be talking to rv repair places locally for a reference. I would steer clear of CW.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:05 AM   #5

The EPDM roof on my Designer was manufactured by Alpha Systems. During my last roof clean/treat it was noted that there was some "alligator skin" type cracking in some areas around the a/c units. I was concerned as this unit is approaching 5 years of full time use. I took pictures and sent to Alpha Systems and their response is below received in February 2015:

Hello Sir,

Your roof looks fine. What you are experiencing is the oxidation process that the roof membrane goes through as it ages and is exposed to the elements. It does get that ‘alligator’ skin appearance that you have. Over time the white layer will chalk and flake off exposing the black layer that is underneath. The white layer is considered cosmetic and the black layer underneath is the primary protection for your unit. Just because the white layer is going through this process does not mean the roof is going to fail, this is normal and expected. The roof is about 38 mils thick and the white layer is only the top 2 mils of this so you still have plenty of roof left.

There are roof coatings that can be painted on the roof to make it look new and white again, but typically those are only recommended once the roof starts to be more black than white. Until then just the regular cleaning is all that is necessary. If/When you do decide to recoat the roof you just need to make sure to purchase a product that is made for EPDM rubber roofs.

Some people choose not to recoat their roof and let it turn completely black, this is ok too. If you take this route you would just have to start using rubber roof conditioners to make sure the roof does not start to dry out.

Hope this eases your worries.

Thanks,

Monica McCabe
Alpha Systems, LLC.
(574) 295-5206
Fax (574)970-2703
Attached Thumbnails
Front #2 - Copy.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:06 AM   #6
Site Team

I just completed recoating my EPDM roof after 12 years and not wanting to spend the $$$ for a rvroof, I cleaned it with Simple Green using scrubbies, brushes and cloth. On real dirty areas I used a scotch pad. On my hands and knees for 2 days off and on. I wiped it off with damp cloths. Then I put a coat of EPDM primer on with brush and roller, then 2 coats of EPDM top coat. Purchased all products at CW. 1 GAL. PRIMER, 2 GAL TOPCOAT.

I took several part days to get that part done because You can't walk on the primer as it's sticky.

Ended up looking great and I hope it will give me 4-5 more years. on this rig's roof. I had eternabonded my roof openings years ago and I scrubbed the material with a scotch pad and primed right over it. It appears to be sticking very well so far.
Attached Thumbnails
81A89A0A-536D-4258-B1B2-63B8ECF7F731.jpeg  
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 04-02-2023, 05:58 AM   #7

Time to do a recoat

We have a 28BHS, looks like 2 gals of the Dicor coating will be needed. Cleaning and coating, I assume a medium thick nap roller. Trying to do this, not under a cover, memorial day weekend. I hope no rain. Already had the slide out and penetrations done a few months ago. Drying time between coats?(warm north fl weather) I read up on the red can with the Moose head on it too. Advise?
Old 04-02-2023, 06:45 AM   #8
Site Team

I cut in in with a brush and used a 1/4 inch knapp roller. I taped where I did not want to paint with blue painters tape. If you have any Eternabond to cover, clean it and scrub the surface with a scotch brite pad. I did not remove my air conditioners, just painted up to the gasket. Seems like drying time between coats was a couple hours but I would red the directions on the product.

Make sure the roof is very clean of dust and dinge. I spent half a day doing that on my knees, Brutal!

Post #6 of this thread shows a picture.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 04-02-2023, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Some people choose not to recoat their roof and let it turn completely black, this is ok too. If you take this route you would just have to start using rubber roof conditioners to make sure the roof does not start to dry out.
This part of the response makes me think the roof will fare better with a new coating applied.
Might be cooler inside too.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I cut in in with a brush and used a 1/4 inch knapp roller. I taped where I did not want to paint with blue painters tape. If you have any Eternabond to cover, clean it and scrub the surface with a scotch brite pad. I did not remove my air conditioners, just painted up to the gasket. Seems like drying time between coats was a couple hours but I would red the directions on the product.

Make sure the roof is very clean of dust and dinge. I spent half a day doing that on my knees, Brutal!

Post #6 of this thread shows a picture.
Thanks for this response. I will be doing this this summer. Did you remove your AC covers for better access?

2018 Jayco Eagle 336FBOK
2017 Ram 3500 CC SRW 6.4 Hemi 4.10 Curt Q20
RobPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:27 PM   #11
Site Team

No I did not. I probably should have but no one can see it but me. I cut in in with a small brush right up to the edge of the gasket.
Gator roll-up bed cover