Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Need Info

We are looking to upgrade from our Jayco TT to the 2014 Eagle Premier 5th Wheel. Would really appreciate any helpful advice on this purchase. Main reason for switch is need more space. I'm 6'4" and need better sleeping conditions. We are looking at the 361REQS and the 371FLFS. Really want to make the right choice but brand new to 5th wheels. Thanks for any advice!

FireCapt564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

We made the switch from TT to 5er three years ago, and have never regretted it. So much more stability on the road, easier hitching/unhitching, more room, and many other improvements. We'll probably never go back to TTs.

First thing is to make sure that your TV can adequately handle the 5er, and particularly the brakes. Most any truck can pull the 5er, but can yours stop it comfortably ? Your owners manual should state your weight and cargo capacities. Then invest in a good hitch.

The only other thing you have to get used to is that the 5er will not track around curves the same as a TT. While the TT will pretty much follow the TV around the corner, the 5er will cut the corner short. So you have to get used to swinging wider on turns, similar to a semi-truck. A little practice in a large parking lot (such as Wal-Mart on a slow day) will get you used to it.

Other than that, it's just a personal choice of floor plans. One other thing - I recommend that you have at least two slides that are opposite each other, if possible. That really opens up the interior, and helps with stability by counter balancing the weight while parked. Hope this helps you a little.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

That's a good feature of opposing slides but that feature is going to take some getting used to by the wife and I. We are used to pulling over at break or lunch time and heating coffee and a sandwich in the microwave. With this rig now I might have to slim down a lot and grow some long arms to get the microwave door open for a quick snack
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #4

I looked at the new 371FLFS floorplan on Jayco's website, wow that is one big 5th Wheel, looks awesome.

The only issue I had with Front Living room 5ers for somebody over 6' tall is the front living ceiling height and the slide height in the Front Living area.

With the new Arched Roofs it is much better in the Front Living area but still when sitting in the front slide area, the slide ceiling it pretty close for tall people, but the rear bedroom area is great.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #5

Thank everyone for great feedback. As with anything, the trade offs are what we are contemplating...which can we live with. As well as the ceiling height in the front living room,, the kitchen/dining area seems cramped...although the huge bedroom might make up for that...DW not so sure. Thanks also for the heads up on the slide out issues, including when traveling. We had not thought of the accessibility to microwave issue.

As for towing, I'm pretty confident my F-350 diesel dually should work but I appreciate the turning tips. Practice will help. Are there any preferred hitches to recommend? Rather spend the money on a really good hitch system now then suffer for it later.

Once again, thanks for all your help. That's why we posted here...we knew the information would benefit us as we move forward. Keep the tips coming!

Old 10-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

We don't worry too much about accessing the microwave when traveling cuz we don't have an onboard genny. Our criteria while on the road is accessability to the bathroom, the refrig and the dinette area...and maybe the bed. Good luck on your decision and happy travels!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #7

Our 321 has opposing slides and we can use everything in the kitchen with them retracted. We also have access to the bathroom. Our hitch is a 18K Pull Rite.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #8

We do not worry about Microwave access either as we do not have a generator.
We do have the Generator prep but for our lifestyle we have a hard time justifying the cost and maintenance.
Important to us was Refrigerator, Bathroom and Bedroom access with the slides closed.
Since our typical days travel is about 350 miles or less, access to the Refrigerator to make a sandwich and get at drink at a rest stop is all we need.
Also access to the bathroom is nice during those stops.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #9

We have had our 361REQS for about 5 weeks. We are very satisfied with it so far. You do have to open the door side slide and the kitchen slide a few inches to access the refrigerator. This has not been an issue for us. The unit tows very well with our F350 diesel and is very livable. Ceiling height in the 2014 bedroom is better than the 2013 model. I am about 6'3" and can stand anywhere in the bedroom without hitting my head. We recently toured a friend's front living room model but still prefer our trailer for our lifestyle.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #10

We also do not have a generator, and thus cannot use the microwave anyway. Bathroom access is all that we need on the road. DW makes sandwiches in advance if we are going to need lunch on the road.

As for a hitch, we have a Reese 16K Signature Series, and it works well towing an 11,000# 5er.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #11

Thanks for the great info.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #12

Thanks all. Going tmrw to make final decision. Any additional hitch tips welcome. We are a bit nervous but excited. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #13

Thanks for the great info.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101vet View Post
That's a good feature of opposing slides but that feature is going to take some getting used to by the wife and I. We are used to pulling over at break or lunch time and heating coffee and a sandwich in the microwave. With this rig now I might have to slim down a lot and grow some long arms to get the microwave door open for a quick snack
We have opposing slides and stop quite often for lunch. We just put out one slide depending on the situation as to which one. Really doesn't create a problem after you've done it a few times. There are places that we've stopped that you weren't comfortable about putting out any slide. We can live with that if we have to. The bathroom not being part of the slide system gives you a fair amount of flexibility..
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #15

I have to throw my 2 cents in here concerning an onboard generator. I have one and can't imagine not having it. If I stop along the way for a bite/rest and it is hot I can fire up the a/c. I can use the microwave or make a cup of coffee. And even if you only use it occasionally it is nice to have plenty of voltage to pull in the slides after a few days of boondocking and low batteries.

Yes, the onboard generators are a tad expensive, but other than running mine for an hour each month to keep it up to speed, it only costs me two quarts of oil and a filter once a year. In march 2012 it was the hit of the small town I home base in after the early morning tornado. I had the only hot coffee or lights in town.

I have opposing sides and as has been previously stated, it makes for a very nice size "room".

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #16

Quote:
... slim down a lot and grow some long arms ...
I understand, fully. Take it from me, it's easier to grow the long arms.

Now about the generator: We have the basic C/O 4000W that doesn't have the ability to monitor the battery charge. I haven't read about it yet, but I understand some C/O generators have the controls to start and stop automatically based on need. That would be very useful. Do you have that feature on yours? How about you, Ed?
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #17

Which fiver did you decide on? I have the front living and love it. A couple of things you'll have to get used:
1. How much easier it is hitch/unhitch
2. How much easier it is to setup at the campground (resort)
3. How nice it pulls, no swaying or getting pushed around by semi's
4. All the looks you get from other campers when pulling in and parking.

Other than that, about the same.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #18

Thanks all...we actually decided on the 2014 Eagle 33.5 RETS. Saved a few dollars to enjoy more travels but very excited about our purchase. Also looking forward to the pros of owning a fifth wheel that you all have mentioned. Toughest part is the wait since we ordered ours...hoping early December. Thanks for the welcome advice everyone!

Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #19

Need Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCapt564 View Post
Thanks all...we actually decided on the 2014 Eagle 33.5 RETS. Saved a few dollars to enjoy more travels but very excited about our purchase. Also looking forward to the pros of owning a fifth wheel that you all have mentioned. Toughest part is the wait since we ordered ours...hoping early December. Thanks for the welcome advice everyone!
Did you purchase your hitch yet??
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #20

No auto start/stop here. Strictly manual, but pushing a button isn't hard at all.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote