Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Need input on Eagle 355 Mbqs.....

as its one of our final choices for our first RV Any new 2017 owners of this model?
Any changes from '16-17? Has it been smooth sailing or any major issues to deal with?
Can it be towed easily with a 3/4 ton TV? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #2

We have a 2016 355 MBQS and love it. Of course there are some minor things that have been addressed at the dealer but everything has been great so far. I think the biggest issue is the outriggers that support the kitchen slide. They aren't strong enough and tend to bow. Jayco has a fix for this and I am awaiting parts. I do believe that all the '17 models have the new updated outriggers.
As for the 3/4 ton truck, yes, it can handle the load but you will run close, if not, just over the GVWR of the truck. I am certain others will chime in to provide their thoughts also. I am not a towing expert but do try to stay within the stated capacities of all numbers involved.

There are some differences in the two year models also. Take a look on Jayco's website.

Good luck.
Jason
Reese 16K slider hitch
M109pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #3

'16 owner here, too.
My 2003 GMC 2500 carries the 5th fine. I am just over GVWR for the truck, but not over either axle rating. I believe newer 2500/250s have a little higher GVWR.
I too have had the bent outriggers, but have had them replaced. I believe all '17s have had this addressed.

the '17s have a loft over the small bunk room. Slightly different design. I prefer the '16 design, but that is personal preference.
'17 has a pocket door for the bath. Wish I had this.....

Other issues I have had:
Very small propane leak at regulator. Took me some time to locate as it was so small. No pipe dope on the fitting. Easy fix.
One of the USB charger ports pulled apart as a cable was removed. Waiting on replacement from dealer.
Outside refrigerator died after 1st trip. Waiting on replacement from dealer. Kind of upset as Jayco made the dealer contact refer manufacturer instead of going through them....this is taking longer than it should.

We love the 5th wheel and its floor plan. Most mid bunk units are 43-45'. We did not want to go over 40' and this one is right at that. Pulls so much nicer than our old 35' TT.
Just getting the bugs worked out. At least we have 2 years warranty.

We did not buy local as they did not have a 2016 and we did not want the 2017 floorplan. Traveled to pick up a 2016. Saved $$$, too. That said, part of my issue getting things fixed is the local dealer doesn't want to service my unit since I did not buy from them. At all. To the point of being rude about it......Nice.
Wonder how they would treat me if I had moved here with the unit.....?
Old 08-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

Need input on Eagle 355 Mbqs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
'16 owner here, too.
My 2003 GMC 2500 carries the 5th fine. I am just over GVWR for the truck, but not over either axle rating. I believe newer 2500/250s have a little higher GVWR.
I too have had the bent outriggers, but have had them replaced. I believe all '17s have had this addressed.

the '17s have a loft over the small bunk room. Slightly different design. I prefer the '16 design, but that is personal preference.
'17 has a pocket door for the bath. Wish I had this.....

Other issues I have had:
Very small propane leak at regulator. Took me some time to locate as it was so small. No pipe dope on the fitting. Easy fix.
One of the USB charger ports pulled apart as a cable was removed. Waiting on replacement from dealer.
Outside refrigerator died after 1st trip. Waiting on replacement from dealer. Kind of upset as Jayco made the dealer contact refer manufacturer instead of going through them....this is taking longer than it should.

We love the 5th wheel and its floor plan. Most mid bunk units are 43-45'. We did not want to go over 40' and this one is right at that. Pulls so much nicer than our old 35' TT.
Just getting the bugs worked out. At least we have 2 years warranty.

We did not buy local as they did not have a 2016 and we did not want the 2017 floorplan. Traveled to pick up a 2016. Saved $$$, too. That said, part of my issue getting things fixed is the local dealer doesn't want to service my unit since I did not buy from them. At all. To the point of being rude about it......Nice.
Wonder how they would treat me if I had moved here with the unit.....?

Too bad about the dealer. Will jayco allow you to go to an independent RV repair? I could potentially have the same problem if I buy elsewhere ( partially because of the reviews of the local dealer)

Old 08-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

I have been going to an independent. Issue is Jayco is slower shipping to him than one of their dealers. He has to order through Camping World even working with Jayco. Makes no sense, but Jayco will not send/sell him parts as he is not their dealer....
Old 08-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
I have been going to an independent. Issue is Jayco is slower shipping to him than one of their dealers. He has to order through Camping World even working with Jayco. Makes no sense, but Jayco will not send/sell him parts as he is not their dealer....
And Jayco wouldn't send the parts direct to you quicker ?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

Nope, wouldn't ship anything to me.
The USB charger, they will not even ship to my independent repair guy. Sent me an email telling me to ask my selling dealer to order one and then ship it to me. I am in NC and my Dealer is in Florida. I forwarded the email to my selling dealer. No response yet.....
Midwest Sales & Service (DP refrigerator company) will only talk to a repair facility. So, my independent is trying to get them to send him a new refrigerator. I can pick it up and put it in to save a trip with the 5th wheel. 2 screws.
On the refrigerator, Jayco said it has to go to the manufacturer for the first year since they offer a 12 month warranty. For the second year, Jayco is the contact????? Seems weird to me. Seems like a way for Jayco to not have to deal wit an independent shop as much as possible......
I have bought one off Amazon, but will continue to follow up on this. Principle of the matter.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #8

We got our 2017 355mbqs back in July. I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 hd diesel. Impressed with towing it compared to our old travel trailer. I did just add some airlift airbags. When we got our camper home I noticed some swirls in the paint on the couch- table slide. Dealer had it buffed out, looks perfect now. Pendent lights above island were wired wrong. Turn switch on and only one light would come on. Turn the other switch on and the other pendent light would come on along with the rope light near the ceiling. Dealer fixed it, works great now. We've had it out 3 times now and no other issues. We have the 2 recliners, think I would've liked the theater seating better

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
B&W companion 5th wheel hitch
Mark464 is offline   Reply With Quote