Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2016, 11:27 AM   #1

Need input on upgrading from TT to bunkhouse 5th Wheel

First post on Jayco forums and some background info. I have a family of 4 (kids are 7 & 9) and 2 small dogs (less than 20lbs, have a small crate. We are quite active and most of our camping trips revolve around mountain biking and hiking, which means we usually have our 4 bikes with us. When we first started looking at camping a couple of years ago, we almost bought a popup. We didn't know if we would like it, or use it that much. After I realized that I could get a TT for close to the same money as a popup, we purchased a 2015 Forest River Grey Wolf 23DBH. Now my wife really likes the camper and the layout, and we've had extremely good luck the unit. We've only had 1 issue, and that was the heater - it went out at the worst time, but it was fixed under warranty and has been great since. I on the other hand feel cramped. I'm 6'3" and have a hard time sleeping as there isn't quite enough room to lay flat out in the master. Also, there isn't as much storage as I'd like. My kids have a lot of stuff/games, and with all of our activities, I would like a little more room to store things.

Now, all that said, I REALLY want to move up to a 5th wheel bunkhouse. My wife isn't too keen on it as we don't NEED ($$$) it. We're already glamping, so I'd like to be comfortable in what I'm paying for and maintaining.

What I do know is I want one under 35' and under $35K, optionally would like another bathroom with it's own outside door (not a hard requirement), and a decent size black/gray tank. Generally, most of the bunkhouse layouts have the majority of what I'm looking for. I realize I'm asking this on the Jayco forums but I'm looking at the Jayco HT 26.5BHS and 29.5BHDS, as well as the Forest River Wildcat series and Keystone Sprinters. My main concern is potential issues with ANY (not just the Wildcat) of the 5th wheel bunkhouse models that I should be aware of. My parents purchased a Rockwood TT last year and it has been an absolute lemon...FR gave them another year of warranty because of all the issues they've had and continue to have. As far as price is concerned, I'm not afraid to drive to get a good deal, ie, keeping it under $35K - I drove from Florida to Ohio to purchase my TT. Also, my TV is a 2012 F250 diesel shortbed.

Any help/opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Cheers
watarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

Welcome. I think your on the right path with units. Another option is a used 30.5 Eagle. That has 4 bunks in the front and a big rear bedroom.

The HT's have lower profiles in the front, then they get higher as you go up in finish.

Look at the specs for bedroom clearances in each. Being 6'3" myself I went with the larger units to avoid crouching over in my BR.

Best thing is to get into a few units to compare.

From a warranty perspective Jayco is easy to deal with and stands by their product. Where you might run into issues are with specific dealers and if you don't buy from your local one you could face service issues when and if you need service.

Good luck!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:41 PM   #3

The 28.5 BHXB Eagle is only slightly larger than the others you are considering. We have one on order, should be here in 2 weeks. Separate bunk room with extra 1/2 bath, full size queen bed, neat floor plan if it works for you.

Also has the additional capacity on the tanks.
Krusegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #4

I am in about the same situation and came from almost the same evolution as you! We bought a 345BHTS last summer against the will of my wife, but if you ask her now she would not trade it for anything! I to have a short bed F250 diesel (2014) and love pulling and using this camper! For me the outdoor kitchen is a must as I love to cook and having another fridge for "drinks" makes it really nice. We go almost every weekend and use ours a ton and I can't be happier or say enough about this camper!
bfurry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:44 PM   #5

We went from a 2014 Jayco travel trailer to a 2016 Jayco Eagle 345BHTS. We pull ours with a 2015 F250 diesel shortbed as well. Although we haven't camped in it yet, we have driven it from the dealer home then back to dealer for backup camera installation and back home again so it has about 100 miles of traveling. We love the layout and the amenities and can't wait to camp in it. The only problem we have had is getting the auto leveling system to work properly, but that is our user error and not the system itself. We haven't quite figured out when we need to add blocks under the legs! We'll learn it eventually.
galakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Another option is a used 30.5 Eagle. That has 4 bunks in the front and a big rear bedroom.
You might want to look at a 30.5BHLT. I love mine and use the backroom as storage when the grandson is not with me. I had a friend overnight with me last year, grandson in back, buddy on jackknife couch, wife and I in master. Everyone had their own space for the night. Pulls great with 250SD.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote