Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #1

Question Need Some Advice From Jayco Owners

Like all RV'ers we've now reached the point where we're seriously thinking of upgrading (translated to mean the wife wants more room). We're looking at going from a tow behind to a fifth wheel and she has fallen in love with the Eagle 313RKS. She likes the fact that the "rear kitchen" is away from the living portion and the access to the unit is in a central location on the coach. When we inquired about this particular floorplan at two separate Jayco dealers they both (sales people) indicated we should "stay away" from rear kitchens as nobody was happy with them because all their kitchen items shook out of the cupboards when traveling. It had to do with the kitchen items in cupboards rear of the axle.
If some Jayco owners could "weigh in" with comments regarding the 313RKS it would be most appreciated. We like the following things about the Jayco.
1. Family business ... continued ownership ... not a large conglomerate (like Thor, Forest River, Keystone).
2. We like the 2 year warranty.
3. We have a local Jayco dealer who has been with them for many, many years.
4. When we have been in Jayco units they seem to exceed all others from a quality standpoint in their price class. Good value for the dollar.

Of course a new fifth wheel will mean a new tow vehicle and we're looking at a 2011 Chrvrolet 2500 HD 3/4 Ton, Extended Cab, 4 Wheel Drive. Rated at 17,200 Max Trailer Weight Towing Capacity and 24,500 lbs GCWR. The extended cab configuration is required so the truck will fit in our garage. We would install a B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch. Any opinions on this as a tow vehicle for the 313RKS.

Any input is most appreciated ... and I thank you, in advance.
njoynlif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum njoynlif! (Love that moniker!)

We had an Aljo 5th wheel back in 1995. It didn't have a slide, and the entry was at the rear into the (rear) kitchen. I remember we had issues with things bouncing around back in the kitchen cupboards while pulling the 5'er. We did eventually learn how to 'pack' the cupboards and store items so they didn't move in transit. We utilized all those little clever boxes/shelves/shelf paper that were made back then. We became pretty adept and had little problems afterwards.

Happy shopping and let us know what ya wind up doing!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #3

We had a 2000 Jayco Designer 2930RKS before our current 5'er. We never really had any issues with things in the cabinets. We just didnt like the rear kitchen floorplan. As far as the tow vehicle you are talking about. Sounds like it would work well for you! Just dont get a gas burner!
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #4

We're waiting to take delivery of our Jayfeather 242 with the rear kitchen. I wondered about the cabinets being in the back and the bouncing. Good to read that it might be an issue with a solution.
llerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

Regarding rear kitchen - I have never had one but have read that they are a problem which is mentioned above. And one post mentioned a solution. I read somewhere, wish I had saved the article but I think it was in Trailer Life, the rear end of an RV on an average road (whatever that is) is subjected to a continual 3.5 scale earthquake! That is my recollection, but remember someone above said you can work around it.

Regarding fiver - I have owned some type RV since 1979 and towed them all all over the country. We started with a pop-up (camped in it in 26 different states), have had multiple travel trailers and fivers. No question about it, I will never again buy a trailer, the fiver is just so much more stable. Also, I feel so much more confortable and safe towing the 5th wheel. The wind from big trucks passing just does not have the impact it does on the TT. I think a real question here is what does your family intend to do with the unit. If mainly close-in short trips, then the extra $$ for the 5th wheel might not make sense. However, if you plan long trips and extensive travels, then by all means I highly recommend the fiver. We stay out 8-10 weeks at a time and the extra basement storage is also really nice.

Regarding truck - agree diesel and the F250/2500 HD is all the truck you need for that rig you are considering.

Regarding Jayco - Their quality price ratio is right there. The Designer I have now I have personally towed over 22,500 miles and I have not had a single issue to repair that is Jayco quality related. And I also know the previous owner made at least two cross country trips so the unit easily has over 30,000 towed miles.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #6

A friend of mine has a rear kitchen 5th wheel and they don't complain about things bouncing around too much. If the floor plan fits your needs then get it and enjoy it.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #7

We have a rear kitchen in our Designer and love the floor plan. We don't travel much so I can't really comment on the cabinet issue. As far as the truck goes, that should be quite adaquate for your needs gas or diesel. It seems that most people recommened the diesel over the gas for the extra power and better milage. I don't share that oppinion but thats just me. Jayco is an awesome product, you won't be sorry. Good Luck and enjoy.
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #8

While my unit is a TT and not 5th wheel, we have not had an issue with produce, dishes, liquids or other stuff "bouncing" around. Keep in mind that we use tupperware type dishes and not "Good China" Dishes that may bust.
1 tip I can suggest:
We do pack things higher in cupboards such as box food, chips and cookies, so if they do move around, they do not fall out as we open the door and bounce off our head or land on our feet.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #9

My parents have a rear kitchen 5er, from what i recall they have not had major issues with broken dishes. They have the non slip lining in all the cabinets.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #10

We had a rear Kitchen Model and made several long trips of 1200 miles over all kinds of roads and in different weather conditions. We never had a problem with broken dishes. I drive between 50 and 60, But slow down when on a rough road.. We sold our rear Kitchen unit and now have a 07 31RLTS Designer. My wife misses the rear kitchen.
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #11

We had a 313RKS for 4 seasons. The only issue we had was the shelves on the fridge door. They would not stay up when traveling. So we just emptied them during travel and it was fine.

I would have no concerns having another 313RKS. It held up very well and pulled great. We pull with a Chev 2500 Duramax.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #12

I have a Jayco 25.5RKS and we have no problems with the rear kitchen. When we have a long day of travel or know the road will be rough or gravel we put pillows in the upper cabinets to keep things in place.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #13

Little late on this thread but we had a Jayco Jayflight rear kitchen and had a couple small mishaps until we learned to pack it correctly. Usually did the same as above post with light stuff higher. That only happened driving the pot holed and broken-up I80 here in NorCal.

The layout was great, and my wife loved it. The problem was when our daughter brought friends. The layout just did not work for guests.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #14

The only problem I see with a rear kitchen is that I like sitting in the back with a view out of either side or the back depending on the site I'm on. Of course I am a single guy and kitchen's don't impress me much (smile). But regardless of the floor plan, I like Jayco.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #15

We just got back from our maiden trip in our new to us Jayco 5th wheel. I love the floor plan, the rear kitchen was one of the main selling points for me. Didn't have any issues with things breaking or bouncing around but I did pack with this in mind. In our old trailer the entry door was in the rear with the kitchen in the middle, I much prefer the new set up. Now for our week long trip at the end of the month..........can't wait
grncrdbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #16

We bought a ordered and bought a 29.5 RKS last Aug. dealer told us he had heard of a few complaints regarding minor damage in rear pantry. We have experienced some issue, dealer plans to replace shelf brackets in pantry. I weighed the trailer - we were 1000# under the gross weight limit. Gonna add some weight to rear [maybe carrying a full tank of fresh water]. The best test for any RV is I-10 just west of Baton Rouge, La
dlgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #17

Quote:
The best test for any RV is I-10 just west of Baton Rouge, La
... curious, not challenging. Why? I'm not familiar with the area.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #18

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
We have cabinets overhead in the rear of our 31.5RLTS and things do move around a bit on occasion. With the MorRyde suspension Jayco uses it smooths out the ride a great deal so I would think that packing accordingly you should be OK. If it is your preference for a rear kitchen floor plan do a little research on various forums and see what folks do to deal with issues related to rear kitchens.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #19

We don't have the kitchen all the way in the rear, but it is in a slideout located behind the wheels. And the television sits on a shelf in the rear on the side, not fastened down in any way. The 5er is so much more stable that our previous TT that nothing moves at all. We have never had anything move, not even in the fridge. Paper doesn't even slide off the table while enroute. And the unit still has its original Leland plain jane pin box - nothing fancy, and no chucking. So ---- don't think you will have much trouble with moving items in a rear kitchen. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #20

The biggest problems with the rear kitchen units are that you lose the large picture window in the rear, and in many cases you can't access the fridge without extending a slide.
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote