Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #1

Need to find Junction box for the 7-way wire harness bwtn camper/truck

I have a 2011 351RLTS fifth wheel.

When I brought my fiver home the last time, I got STUPID and ended up snapping my wiring harness cable in half way between the pinbox and the 7 blade connector.

Evidently my truck wasn't in Park like it should've been when I jumped out to raise the camper a tad bit more to take the pressure off the hitch and the harness between the truck and camper was still connected. Felt like beating my self to within an inch of my life as I watch the truck start rolling out from under the camper. I know stuff happens and we have to just get past it but the thought of "Why me Lord" quickly came to mind as I ran to get in and stop the truck.

Does ANYONE happen to know where the junction box is that the wire harness connects to on these campers is located and how to access it?

I need to confirm that I haven't pulled any wires and truly more than likely need to just run a complete new wire harness to everything in order to be on the safe side.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #2

Should be a junction box inside your pinbox where the connections are made.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clvickers View Post
I have a 2011 351RLTS fifth wheel.

When I brought my fiver home the last time, I got STUPID and ended up snapping my wiring harness cable in half way between the pinbox and the 7 blade connector.

Evidently my truck wasn't in Park like it should've been when I jumped out to raise the camper a tad bit more to take the pressure off the hitch and the harness between the truck and camper was still connected. Felt like beating my self to within an inch of my life as I watch the truck start rolling out from under the camper. I know stuff happens and we have to just get past it but the thought of "Why me Lord" quickly came to mind as I ran to get in and stop the truck.

Does ANYONE happen to know where the junction box is that the wire harness connects to on these campers is located and how to access it?

I need to confirm that I haven't pulled any wires and truly more than likely need to just run a complete new wire harness to everything in order to be on the safe side.
Siince you are beyond warranty Jayco will proivide a wire scematic for you upon request with your VIN#. It is in the area of your pin box, but behind the skin.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmapatime View Post
Should be a junction box inside your pinbox where the connections are made.

Steve
Steve,

I would have expected the same thing but that's not the case.

The Wire Harness on mine doesn't have a junction box at/in the pinbox anywhere that I can see. There is a wire hold down that was screwed to the bottom of the camper (in the Pinbox) to clamp the harness cable in place and from there it goes into a hole into the underside of the camper under the skin.

Carlie
Old 06-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Siince you are beyond warranty Jayco will proivide a wire scematic for you upon request with your VIN#. It is in the area of your pin box, but behind the skin.
I have a call into them regarding this. When I originally called yesterday they ended up sending me the 12V and 120V diagrams but that's more about power from the batteries and Shore Power and doesn't include anything regarding the 2-pin wire harness. Called them back and so they referred my call to a 2nd Tier support group. Would have expected a call back by now but I not heard from them nor do I have any phone messages left by them.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Team

I would terminate the end you have left in a waterproof junction box and make a splice to the new cord. End of problem.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #7

On my 285RKS the junction box used to be under the forward part of the bed. I have since moved it to inside the pin box.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #8

Since you have to replace the whole harness anyway....

Undo the retaining clip at the pin box and follow the wire inside.

Take good pix of how to put the harness back!

Push and then push-pull the harness while somebody with good eyes and a strong light looks at where the harness might go next.

Repeat until you get to a junction box.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #9

I've built a couple utility trailers and fixed the wiring on a few others and I always put one of these junction boxes on or just back from the tongue. It always seems to be the connection to the TV whip that has issues, pulled apart, touches the road, weathers more. With the junction box all your replacing is a short section of wire to the TV, if you still have a good section of wire exiting the trailer give one of these a try. When I wire my trailers I try and run a dedicated wire from the light to the junction box and avoid all the tap in splices. When you have a problem its easy to diagnose, either the bulb or the one wire to it.

Trailer Wiring Junction Box Spectro Accessories and Parts 38656

Ross..
Old 06-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #10

I absolutely change my suggestion.

Don't bother digging through your 5er.

I throw in with RoscoW and suggest installing a new junction box at the pin box.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote