Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Nervous newbie: Tow vehicle dimesions vs trailer dimensions- is there a conflict?

Hello to all; I'm brand new to the forum and to RV'ing so need opinions about how my new factory stock 2017 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4 short box with 11,500lb GVW pkg. will hook up to a new 2018 Eagle HT 24.5CKTS we ordered from Indiana RV Connection. My truck is exactly 60" tall at the top of the tailgate and the saddle of the Reese Elite 18k fixed hitch is set at 53.5" above ground, both measurements with truck unloaded. The fifth wheel is ordered with the 16" tire option and Reese Revolution 90 pin box. Jayco Engineering says the unloaded 24.5CKTS measures 58.75" from ground to bottom of upper deck so 1.25" lower than the truck tailgate height. The load bearing flat surface of the Reese Revolution pin box measures 48" from ground with trailer empty and level or 5.5" below the saddle height at the current truck hitch height adjustment. I became concerned that the mismatch of truck trailer hitch height and upper deck floor measurements would mean there would be a problem with clearance to the box rails and tailgate of the truck. I approached the dealer about the possibility of installing over/under axle mount kits to move the axles under the springs to raise the trailer so it would sit level to the ground with water and other weight in the trailer. Finally the owner of Indiana RV and I talked today and he said he would recommend not modifying the axle location because A. it might make the trailer unstable and B. it would void the Jayco 2yr warranty. He went on to state they tow these HT trailers all over with Dodge Ram 3500 pickups which also have 60" tall tailgates with no such modifications and no problems. He says the nose of the trailer will be slightly higher than level but not much and I will have 6" clearance to the box rails and tailgate.

Nickel for your thoughts, am I good to go like this or will I have clearance issues to the box rails and tailgate either going down the road or in tight backing maneuvers while parking that I should really be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Krugler
Port Huron, MI
dkrugler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #2

I would think you should be ok. Push come to shove, you can see about dropping the axles to the lower hole. There is another thread about this. Picks the back of the camper up to help with leveling.

The only time I’ve ever had an issue like what you are worried about was during some extreme maneuvering.

Pulled out of the site and the road made a sharp left hand turn and went uphill at a moderate grade. Took out the lens from the under deck light.

What you really need to look at is how much movement I allowed by your hitch left to right from uneven terrain.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #3

First, our Eagle HT had the axles under the springs from the factory, I think all the HT's do, so that is probably not an option.

Second, our trailer tows nose high by about 5".

Third, if you don't like the way it sits with the truck then you may have to tell the dealer you don't want the trailer. Some dealers will work with you, some will not.

You might ask Jayco what they think is the maximum nose high they would recommend. If it is 'zero' then ask them how to go about fixing the trailer so you can tow it with your truck. Their response would be interesting.

Note: Do NOT rely on the dealer to do the right thing or give the right advice. They may tell you anything to get you to buy the trailer and drive off with it, even if the rear is dragging cause the nose is too high.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #4

I had our dealer raise the rv to the next holes on the suspension, gaining about a 2.5" rise, slightly tipping the nose. Mine sits virtually level on my f350, and still have 5-6" above tailgate.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:22 AM   #5

I believe the fault lies with the truck manufacturers, not the RV industry. Why do these trucks sit so high ? You can not drive over anything that is higher than the low point of the trucks axles. The only thing that these manufacturers have acomplished, IMHO, in jacking up these bodies do high is to make entry and exit of the cab a challenge for all but pro basketball players. All wheel drive passenger cars do not require such extreme heights. If this "higher is better" trend continues perhaps in the future trucks will come with elevators to access the cab.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #6

Thanks for the help and suggesions...

Thanks to the many good replies on this topic. Does anyone actually have an Eagle HT 24.5CKTS? If yes are axles mounted above or below springs? Are there adjustment holes on spring perches on this model that would let me drop the axes/raise the trailer a bit?

Best regards...
Dave
Old 10-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #7

I second what Lolead said. Why does the top to the tailgate have to be 5ft off the ground? One has to climb into the bed just to retrieve items one should be able to just reach over the bed side. Can you see a woman placing a bag of groceries in the bed? can't do it.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrugler1 View Post
Thanks to the many good replies on this topic. Does anyone actually have an Eagle HT 24.5CKTS? If yes are axles mounted above or below springs? Are there adjustment holes on spring perches on this model that would let me drop the axes/raise the trailer a bit?

Best regards...
Dave
dkrugler1, although we do not have the 24.5CKTS, I did look at one May/June of this year. It was a new 2017 and the axles were mounted below the springs. There was also an additional hole on the spring perches. We were deciding between the 24.5CKTS and the 27.5RKDS. We decided on the 27.5 since I didn't particularly like the idea of having to open two slides in order to get to the bathroom ( emergency, just in case "pit stop" ) with the 24.5.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #9

The HT line is for 1/2 ton trucks. So they make them lower. Yes you can tow them with 3/4-1 ton trucks. Your F350 is overkill for that 5th wheel thats why you're having issues.
Yes they make the new trucks too tall for SOME 5th wheels. My 12 Ram is 59.5" to the top of the bed at the tailgate. My smaller 5th wheel sits 1/2" nose high. It's all in how they design the 5th wheel IMO. I only see guys having issues with certain 5th wheels so that tells me that one needs to do research prior to buying.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
The HT line is for 1/2 ton trucks. So they make them lower.
goducks, it is certainly true that the "HT" designates half-ton towable, at least that's what Jayco wants folks to believe. However in reality, it would take an extremely well equipped half-ton to manage the pin weight of the HT line.
Reese M5 20K
Old 10-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
goducks, it is certainly true that the "HT" designates half-ton towable, at least that's what Jayco wants folks to believe. However in reality, it would take an extremely well equipped half-ton to manage the pin weight of the HT line.
Won't argue that one bit. Thats where the conundrum begins. The overall profile is better suited for 1/2 ton trucks, but like you said only the stoutest 1/2 tons can tow it. The new F150's would certainly tow that 5er. Most equipped with the Max Tow would have 2000+ lbs for payload. Conservative loading and the F150 would work.
The OP has got himself in a pickle with no real answer as to how to make things level. The truck and 5er are a mismatch by design.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #12

My buddy had a 1/2 ton F150 twin turbo, and a 9000 lb fiver.Tranny constantly over heated.Long story short after 40000 miles traded in on F350.We do not here many folks complaining they have too much truck! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
06 Dodge.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #13

I'd never tow a 9000 lb 5er with a 1/2 ton either. Problem is too many MFG's are jumping in the 1/2 ton towable market. On paper it looks great. Many do make it work though. I'm sure most are over weight.
I can see the attraction to 1/2 ton 5th wheels. Low price, nice amenities, good size for most CG's. Some brands just don't work well with the new SD trucks.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #14

I like sharing this picture because it shows you can absolutely get a 2017 Super Duty connected and level using a Reese Revolution and a Reese 16K pro series hitch. I have the 20" wheels on the truck and 16" tires on the camper, axles in default (upper) holes. Tows like a champ, though your bed would sag a little bit less than mine (spring capabilities of the 250 v 350 I mean)

EDIT: I should say very close to level, I'm a couple inches nose high but it's hard to tell...
Attached Thumbnails
truck.jpg  

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #15

Well, yes, the HT does mean half ton. Show me a half ton that will take the 11,000 lb trailer with a 2000lb pin weight? Heck, my 3/4T is almost overloaded.

So, the smaller of the HT line you could tow with a half ton, but, not the larger ones.

And many half tons will have trouble even with the smaller ones.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #16

I think the HT series are a great match for a 3/4 ton "gasser".

In my case, I also needed something to go through the 12' overhead door on my pole barn. I only found 3 models (across all suppliers) with an island kitchen and 144" height.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #17

Tow vehicle

I went with the new Ford F-350 Super Duty for a number of reasons.

A) I'm a Ford retiree so I get the discount
B) The new Super Duty is an entirely different truck than the 2016 and earlier, aluminum cab and box, 2" taller section fully boxed frame VS the open frame it replaces
C) updated electronics including 360 degree camera system and blind spot information system that can be programmed to cover a trailer in the keep-out zone

Went with the 1 ton and diesel VS 3/4 ton and gas for the towing capability, mileage and performance. The truck weighs 7300 lbs., gets 18-20mpg on the freeway, will pull 21,000 lbs. gooseneck, 18,000 lbs. fifth wheel and 15,000 lbs. conventional and 3700 lb. payload all with the single rear wheel Super Cab short box configuration that fits in our residential garages. I've had several Ford Econoline vans, the last was an E-350 with the 5.4l gasoline that got terrible mileage and had no towing capability. I've passed on numerous boats and other trailer related purchases because I didn't own a tow vehicle that could handle the load, not any more. At 440hp and 925lbs/ft. the 6.7 turbo diesel will handle anything I want to pull. And it's a 4x4 with off road package, still rides nice, is quiet and more comfortable than my car. Wife likes heated and cooled seats and Sony 10 speaker stereo.

On the Eagle HT height and garage doors you are ahead of me, we have a cedar 1/2 log on 6 acres in Garden, Michigan and if I live long enough I will build a 30 x 50 pole barn with 14ft doors on each end so I can drive in one end, load or unload and drive out the other. I hope to populate it with the RV, another boat and maybe a 30's Buick or Cadillac and move the farm tractor and side by side ATV out of the garage there to free up space to park cars and trucks inside.

We are 7 miles from Fayette Historic Park. If you have never been there you should check it out. It was a 19th century iron smelting operation with railroad service to bring in raw ore and a deep harbor they shipped iron ingots out of set in a limestone depression on Big Bay De Noc, Lake Michigan. The scenery is breathtaking, the historic sites are being restored by Michigan universities, it has a modern campground with full hookups and a brand new bath house.

Michigan History Center - Fayette Townsite

There is also a new private modern campground with full service hookups in Garden on Garden Bay with walkways to beach and a nice beach front restaurant.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #18

dkrugler1, you defiantly got the truck to do the job ... any job :-) And, going with the 24.5 will get you into pretty much any campground. Some of the National Park campgrounds limit length to 30' and you are a tad under that. Our 27.5 is right at 31' ... 30' 10" so, that length can keep me out of "some" parks.
Reese M5 20K
Old 11-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #19

No way on gods green earth would I tow a 5er with an F150.. Suspension and frame just are not there. Engine and tow mods may be added, but the suspension and frame are still the biggest problem. Increase to a F 250 super duty and enjoy the peace of mind. 3/4 to 1 ton to tow a 5er.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #20

If your budget can stand it go 1 ton! We are on our second fiver, still have 06 3500. It was nice not having to buy a truck and trailer second time around.
Attached Thumbnails
5.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote