Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #1

Question New 2019 F350 super duty pulling a 2016 Jayco Pinnacle 3810

Hi:
We have a 2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 FBTS. We recently bought a 2019 Ford F350 Super Duty XLT. The truck is at least 2-3 inches taller than our old 2016 F350. My concern is whether or not this new truck can actually tow the camper allowing the 6 inch clearance between top of bed of truck to the 5th wheel when it is hitched up without the back of the trailer being higher in front than the back. Does anyone out there have the same concern/issue? Is there a modification that I have to do to the truck (am buying a new hitch, the truck already has the towing package from the factory) to lower it? I want to tow the camper in a level position. Any advice?
Thank you.
sharon w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #2

Not many choices to get it level.
Either lower truck or raise trailer.
Hitch may be adjustable as well as kingpin to a point. You want to keep the bed rail clearance for sure.
What is the height of tallest item on trailer roof from ground when trailer is level? Must stay under 13 ft 6 inches to be legal.

Do the trailer spring mount brackets have adjustment holes that you can push trailer up subject to max height above?
Check if ford has a lowering package for your truck?

I read somewhere That the 2020 super duties where going to be 2 inches lower than the 2017-2019 models.About friggin time!
This trend of new taller trucks from the big 3 is just wrong! Can't level hitch your trailer is a pain in the butt!

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon w View Post
Hi:
We have a 2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 FBTS. We recently bought a 2019 Ford F350 Super Duty XLT. The truck is at least 2-3 inches taller than our old 2016 F350. My concern is whether or not this new truck can actually tow the camper allowing the 6 inch clearance between top of bed of truck to the 5th wheel when it is hitched up without the back of the trailer being higher in front than the back. Does anyone out there have the same concern/issue? Is there a modification that I have to do to the truck (am buying a new hitch, the truck already has the towing package from the factory) to lower it? I want to tow the camper in a level position. Any advice?
Thank you.

You will need to try and keep 6 inches of clearance from your truck bed.
You should have some adjustment on your trailer. You will need to move it down to the lower holes.
Being a 2016 your probably didn't have wet bolts and heavy duty shackles from the factory. If you haven't installed some now would be a good time to do it.

There is always more options it's just a matter of how much money your are willing to spend on it.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
I read somewhere That the 2020 super duties where going to be 2 inches lower than the 2017-2019 models.About friggin time!
This trend of new taller trucks from the big 3 is just wrong! Can't level hitch your trailer is a pain in the butt! RoadrunnerII
I believe only the F-250's are getting lowered. I think the 350's are staying the same.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #5

Best I could get was 6” at the rails and 5.5” at the tailgate on my 2019 F450 while keeping the overall height right at 13’ 6”. It’s a balance.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #6

I have the same setup with a 2020 36FBTS and B&W companion hitch. The truck doesn’t even seem to squat when attaching and pulling. No issues with clearance.
Prybar-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #7

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vexgx6n4g..._0885.JPG?dl=0

2019 377RLBH and 2019 F350 with airbags inflated to 50psi. Level with 6” between the rails and the coach body. Yes, before anyone comments, the coach is empty and is now living in Central Oregon at our vacation property. Not much towing in its future. I’m using a B&H Companion 3300 set at the midpoint height wise as and 1” behind the axle as opposed to 2” in front.
Pchansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchansen View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vexgx6n4g..._0885.JPG?dl=0

2019 377RLBH and 2019 F350 with airbags inflated to 50psi. Level with 6” between the rails and the coach body. Yes, before anyone comments, the coach is empty and is now living in Central Oregon at our vacation property. Not much towing in its future. I’m using a B&H Companion 3300 set at the midpoint height wise as and 1” behind the axle as opposed to 2” in front.

Nice setup Pchansen.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #9

Thanks to all who posted re: 2019 Ford F350 Super Duty and the 2016 Pinnacle. Will Take everything into consideration when purchasing a new hitch. Will post when we rehitch to let everyone know how things turned out!
sharon w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Nice setup Pchansen.
Thanks Big1 and thanks for your service to our country!
Pchansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchansen View Post
Thanks Big1 and thanks for your service to our country!
Thank you sir.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:47 AM   #12

I have a Eagle HT and been fighting this from day one. Lowered trailer to lowest shackle setting. (only one choice lower) Put in Lippert Correct track system. Put in lowering shackles in the Truck. I am now on my last mod of upgrading trailer tires from 15" to 16" on the trailer. I should have at least 6" clearance on tail gate and be towing somewhat level when finished.

Ford builds there trucks way too high and Jayco's HT towables are a joke since almost nobody can legally tow them with a half ton! Knowing what I know now I would have bought a Chevy truck and not gone through all of this if I had known up front.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #13

Well even thought I have a 28.5 Eagle HT and a 2018 F-250 I have been concerned about the leveling of the 5er and truck. At the wheels on the 5er, I am about 3" below level.

I guess that with the standard height of the Eagle HT at 12'6" that I have room to spare. I ask my dealer about raise the 5er but they indicated that it would void the warranty... They were not very detailed about what would be voided. I have not reached out to Jayco on this, but have not gotten much feedback on other questions in the past.

A few months ago I did try to find the Lippert raising/alignment kit for raising the 5er. It appears that kit has been discountinued.

I did find Lift/Lowering Blocks from a Canadian company at https://www.trailerblocks.com/collections/blocks and it appears that they could be use to raise the 5er up 3" to bring it to level with the truck. I just wonder how it would effect the side to side balance of the unit by raising the total weight of the 5er up a few inches.

I did find some replacement shackles for the rear of my 2018 F-250 but it only lower the truckbed rail height by about 1-1/4" not much of savings.

I have been considering selling the Eagle HT, not because I don't like it but mainly because it is more than I need for just one person--thinking of going back to a travel trailer...

Anyway hope this helps!

If anyone has used these lifting block, I sure would like some input from you on them.

Jim Johnson
2018 Ford F-250 SuperCab 4X4
2016 Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL
oldmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #14

Same boat here. I switched to a 2016 F-350 and am towing nose high about three inches. This puts undue strain on the rear axle and tires etc. I have a Curt A20 hitch and it will not go any lower. I have found three other hitches that will adjust from 13 1/2" up to 18" I need to be at about 15" to tow level and still maintain adequate clearances between the truck and 5er. www.etrailer.com has been extremely helpful with all the specs. and I most likely will purchase my hitch from them.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #15

Hi I own a 2019 F250 Lariat The hitch is a Curt Q20. It has 3 different level heights, and I’m at the 2nd height and have 7 inches between bed and rail and although I’m not perfectly level, I never have had any problems in towing. Actually it really was beneficial a few weeks back as we were backing in to a site that had an incline and if wasn’t for that extra inch the 5th wheel would have hit the truck bed. We all want to be level as possible but in my 2 cents it really doesn’t matter. Would be different if it was 2 to 3 or more inches higher, then I could see being a problem. But to each is own. You need. To do for you what is better, but really don’t sweat the small stuff. Hope this helps. Also I use Timbrens look them up on google etc. and they really help in stopping any squatting in the rear of the truck.
JimM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prybar-in View Post
I have the same setup with a 2020 36FBTS and B&W companion hitch. The truck doesn’t even seem to squat when attaching and pulling. No issues with clearance.
Do you like the B&W, how many pounds does it pull, is it easy to hitch, how much did you pay? Saw it at an RV show.
Vfoote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #17

Try the Hensley- trail saver hitch.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #18

I have a 2017 F350 SRW 11,500 GVW. I pull a 2012 Eagle 321 RLTS. The truck sat about 2 inches higher in the back than the front from the factory. I have the B&W Companion 20 K slider hitch. When hookd up the pin weight would level the truck & trailer.

Being a little vertically challenged at 5' 6" and 70 years old I had trouble getting in the bed of the truck even though it has the factory step in the tailgate.
I ordered a set of 2016 F250 spacer blocks to replace the blocks between the springs and axle. This lowered the rear of the truck about 2 inches. After that when I hooked up the truck it sat nose high so I added air bags and run 30 lbs of air in them when towing. That leveled the truck when hooked up and I believe it made the truck feel more stable when towing. When unhook I run 5 lbs of pressure in the bags per the manufacturer recommendations. I also have an on board compressor. The bags are Air Lift 5000 series and Air Lift compressor. I have the B&W hitch in the middle setting. With this setup My truck and trailer are level.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale RV 6 27 18.jpg   Rest area.jpg  
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #19

Riding High

We have the same situation. If we want to maintain a decent gap above the bedrails, the trailer rides high in the front. I don't like it. I wish everything was perfect. But I've noticed that all four trailer tires seem to have the same pressure, even when driving for a while and hot. So that says to me that maybe the back tires aren't really taking more weight than the fronts. Maybe the MorRyde spring equalizer really does work.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon w View Post
Hi:
Thank you.
I’m following your inquiry as we have 2019 Lariet SD DRW. are you towing a travel trailer or 5th wheel?
Vfoote3 is offline   Reply With Quote