Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Corinth
Posts: 98
New 2020 GMC 2500

I have been thinking about trading in my F350 SW for the new Short bed AT4 GMC 2500. I love the look of this truck. I currently have a 2019 317RLOK and was wonder what is the lightest hitch I can put in this truck to do the job. I currently have a 18K slider hitch and its one heavy sucker. I'm not even sure I need a slideer with some of things I have read on here. KEY WORDS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING LIGHTER.
__________________

Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Black River Falls, Wi
Posts: 898
The lightest I believe is the Anderson hitch. https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...onnection.aspx
__________________

__________________
2019 Pinnacle 36 FBTS
2016 Silverado 3500 CC SRW DuraMax/Allison
1975 Corvette
2017 RZR
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mopar_Earl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saint Thomas, PA
Posts: 1,673
I assume you checked all the numbers and the 2500 will handle that 5th wheel? Scaled the trailer for real world weights and such? I'd recommend going 3500 swr over the 2500.


Earl
__________________
2017 Eagle 293RKDS, factory ordered, lots of mods and upgrades.
2018 Ram 3500 crew cab long bed SRW diesel 6spd Aisin 4wd Tradesman.
B&W Ram puck 5th wheel
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Vasquez Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Sweetwater
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
I assume you checked all the numbers and the 2500 will handle that 5th wheel? Scaled the trailer for real world weights and such? I'd recommend going 3500 swr over the 2500.


Earl
The numbers on these new trucks are way up:

2500 HD AT4
Maximum conventional trailering capacity of up to 18,500 lbs†
Maximum fifth-wheel/gooseneck rating of up to 18,500 lbs†
Maximum payload of up to 3,862 lbs†

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra/2500hd-3500hd/at4

I really like this AT4 as well. Maybe in a couple of years for me??

Good luck with your decision.
__________________
- Jeff


2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wherever we want to!
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
The numbers on these new trucks are way up: 2500 HD AT4
Maximum conventional trailering capacity of up to 18,500 lbs†
Maximum fifth-wheel/gooseneck rating of up to 18,500 lbs†
Maximum payload of up to 3,862 lbs†

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra/2500hd-3500hd/at4
I really like this AT4 as well. Maybe in a couple of years for me??
Good luck with your decision.
Still will be pushing it as far as the max payload. His hitch pin weight fully loaded has to be at least 3,000 pounds or more. That leaves only 862 pounds for your hitch, fuel, people, pets, etc. JMHO
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Vasquez Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Sweetwater
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Still will be pushing it as far as the max payload. His hitch pin weight fully loaded has to be at least 3,000 pounds or more. That leaves only 862 pounds for your hitch, fuel, people, pets, etc. JMHO
Oh geez - 3k lbs on the pin! Yeah that's starting to cut it close.
__________________
- Jeff


2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mopar_Earl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saint Thomas, PA
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
Oh geez - 3k lbs on the pin! Yeah that's starting to cut it close.
Yep, that's why I suggest a 3500 srw. Not much money to go from 2500 to 3500 srw to gain more capacities. Lots of times the numbers you posted are base model trucks with certain ratio or options to get those numbers. So the actual truck could be less, maybe much less.


Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Vasquez Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Sweetwater
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Yep, that's why I suggest a 3500 srw. Not much money to go from 2500 to 3500 srw to gain more capacities. Lots of times the numbers you posted are base model trucks with certain ratio or options to get those numbers. So the actual truck could be less, maybe much less.


Earl
Yep, makes sense. When it's time to retire my 2500 I'll probably go to a 1 ton.
__________________
- Jeff


2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Corinth
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
Yep, makes sense. When it's time to retire my 2500 I'll probably go to a 1 ton.
No need for a one ton - Its a overkill. I have already downsized. I am a weekend warrior and dont carry much at all. I'm pretty sure the 2500 is plenty of truck.

2019 Eagle 317RLOK

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 10680
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 1983
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 12825
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 2315
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mopar_Earl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saint Thomas, PA
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
No need for a one ton - Its a overkill. I have already downsized. I am a weekend warrior and dont carry much at all. I'm pretty sure the 2500 is plenty of truck.

2019 Eagle 317RLOK

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 10680
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 1983
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 12825
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 2315
What are the scale weights? My 293RKDS has 2650 on the pin fully ready to go. The 1983 you posted seems way low for a real world number.


Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Boiling Springs
Posts: 264
Chris,
You will be fine with the 2500.
I pull a 2019 321RSTS with my 2015 2500 GMC gas.
I have been to the CAT Scales 3 times and I am under all max. weight in every category.
Granted I am at the high limit, 87% for hitch weight and GCWR, but I am still under the max.
I have a Reese hitch with a slider (approx. 150 lbs).
With my truck fully loaded, full tank of gas, wife and myself and trailer fully loaded, I came in at 2620 hitch weight.
I do not have a generator and I do not travel with any water in the holding tanks.
__________________
RipinSC
2019 Eagle FW 321RSTS
2015 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 Gas
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 852
New 2020 GMC 2500

I started another thread that kind of delved into this a little. I’ve got a 321RSTS. Was pulling it behind a 2016 2500. I was 900lbs over GVWR. With some Sumo’s it was just fine. Just did a trip through NM and West Texas winds. Also up some steep windy stuff in Colorado. I went this past week to look at the 2020 Duramax 2500’s. Crazy 3300 lbs of payload on a 2500. Pretty impressive. That would definitely be enough these fivers. I feel it would still need airbags or something, but on paper it works.

I ended up getting a 2019 1 ton. Only has 300 lbs more payload than that ‘20 2500. Now, which will handle the load better is hard to say. The difference in GVWR of 2020 2500 and 2019 3500 is only 150lbs. I never looked at a 2020 3500.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:15 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Corinth
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I started another thread that kind of delved into this a little. I’ve got a 321RSTS. Was pulling it behind a 2016 2500. I was 900lbs over GVWR. With some Sumo’s it was just fine. Just did a trip through NM and West Texas winds. Also up some steep windy stuff in Colorado. I went this past week to look at the 2020 Duramax 2500’s. Crazy 3300 lbs of payload on a 2500. Pretty impressive. That would definitely be enough these fivers. I feel it would still need airbags or something, but on paper it works.

I ended up getting a 2019 1 ton. Only has 300 lbs more payload than that ‘20 2500. Now, which will handle the load better is hard to say. The difference in GVWR of 2020 2500 and 2019 3500 is only 150lbs. I never looked at a 2020 3500.
Thanks for all the info.

I was never really worried about the weight. I'm just wanting a lighter hitch. I 'm not to sure on that Anderson Hitch - I agree its light, but i'm not sure I like that idea, as I have see some of the photos on Amazon where they bend and screw peoples trucks up. Also, my F350 srw tows a little nose high now, so I'm curious to see if the '20 2500 GMC will level it out.
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Albany
Posts: 81
I did a lot of research and decided to go with the Ultimate Andersen hitch. I have been extremely pleased with it. Very light, and easy to remove from the truck.
__________________
Terry and Anita West
2019 Jayco 317RLOK
2015 Chevy 2500HD
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Corinth
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-bone View Post
I did a lot of research and decided to go with the Ultimate Andersen hitch. I have been extremely pleased with it. Very light, and easy to remove from the truck.
Thanks,
Is your truck a short bed or long bed? If short bed how much clearance do you have when turning?
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Albany
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
Thanks,
Is your truck a short bed or long bed? If short bed how much clearance do you have when turning?
I have the short box. The way I have mine setup, I can go over 90 and not touch the camper. I don't like doing that, but have ......accidentally!
__________________
Terry and Anita West
2019 Jayco 317RLOK
2015 Chevy 2500HD
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2
Chris,

I have a 2018 317RLOK that I pull with my 2017 RAM 2500 long bed with Cummins diesel. I went with the Anderson Ultimate Hitch because of the weight and I have been extremely happy. No knocking noises, and it's easy to line up without help. I'm in my 60's and I want to save my back for my 70's and beyond. The Anderson hitch comes off and back on in less than 5 minutes and at 40 lbs, it's easy to move by myself. We just got back from a 10 day trip to Colorado and hitch, truck and 5th wheel all rode in perfect harmony.
dcdutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Graniteville
Posts: 95
[QUOTE=Mopar_Earl;802821]What are the scale weights? My 293RKDS has 2650 on the pin fully ready to go. The 1983 you posted seems way low for a real world number.


Earl[/QUOTE X2
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 16
The pin weight of my 355MBQS is a shade under 2900 lbs with the camper ready to go. I pull it with a 2020 Silverado 2500HD also. I have some wiggle room on payload once we're all in, under the gross trailer by over 2000 lbs and under my GVWR by almost 3000 lbs. We camp in relatively flat areas most of time time and are normally within a couple hundred miles from home. I had the Reese Goose Box installed on my camper, so all I have in the bed of my truck is the ball. Leaves room and is a clean bed when not towing. Best of luck in your search for truck and hitch.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waterford, ct
Posts: 19
Just picked up 2013 2500 dramas with 37000 miles like new .replaced 07 1500 what a difference . Have easy up slider hitch very heavy got small crane form harbor freight pin stalled in my shed it picks it right off.
__________________

__________________
2013 duramax 2500 crew can 4x4. 2016 eagle ht 26.5 rl s
Mark Geer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×