Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #1

New 29.5FBDS and Thank You to members for advice!

We brought home our new 29.5FBDS on Friday, and wanted to say thank you very much to forum members who have shared information. It really helped our decision, and helped us get the truck and trailer set up well.

Here are some comments that we hope will help others.

Main Pro
  • Two queen beds in a light weight, 34' fifth wheel. Because of the layout of the bunk room, we can easily put a queen mattress on the floor, so we have one full size queen in the back and a second full size queen in the front.
Main Con
  • Lack of basement storage. We would like to have more basement storage, but for our use the bunk area works fine for additional storage.
Other Pros
  • Nice windows in master bedroom (not as nice as rear living units, but still nice).
  • Nice storage in master bedroom.
  • Nice headroom in master bedroom since it is on lower level.
  • Nice having bathroom on lower level.
  • We like the split bathroom layout with a separate toilet and open shower and sink.
  • Easy access to bathroom and refrigerator with slides in.
  • Nice coat hanging area and shoe seat just inside door.
  • Nice having only one dump hose location with black tank and both grey tanks all in the same location.
  • Like having an outside burner. We will probably just store the mini refrigerator and use that area for charcoal or other cooking supplies as we don't need an outside refrigerator.
Things to be Aware of
  • The master bed needs to be lifted up on the struts during travel to allow the slide to close completely. I didn't realize that until the final walk through. Not a big deal as we like the wardrobe and drawer storage you get as a result, but it was a surprise.
  • Check the height of your tow vehicle vs. height of trailer. Others have shared good information on this forum about trailers not being level and being nose high. Read those threads and understand this before purchasing.
Thanks again to those who have shared advice
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugawi View Post
We brought home our new 29.5FBDS on Friday, and wanted to say thank you very much to forum members who have shared information. It really helped our decision, and helped us get the truck and trailer set up well.

Here are some comments that we hope will help others.

Main Pro
  • Two queen beds in a light weight, 34' fifth wheel. Because of the layout of the bunk room, we can easily put a queen mattress on the floor, so we have one full size queen in the back and a second full size queen in the front.
Main Con
  • Lack of basement storage. We would like to have more basement storage, but for our use the bunk area works fine for additional storage.
Other Pros
  • Nice windows in master bedroom (not as nice as rear living units, but still nice).
  • Nice storage in master bedroom.
  • Nice headroom in master bedroom since it is on lower level.
  • Nice having bathroom on lower level.
  • We like the split bathroom layout with a separate toilet and open shower and sink.
  • Easy access to bathroom and refrigerator with slides in.
  • Nice coat hanging area and shoe seat just inside door.
  • Nice having only one dump hose location with black tank and both grey tanks all in the same location.
  • Like having an outside burner. We will probably just store the mini refrigerator and use that area for charcoal or other cooking supplies as we don't need an outside refrigerator.
Things to be Aware of
  • The master bed needs to be lifted up on the struts during travel to allow the slide to close completely. I didn't realize that until the final walk through. Not a big deal as we like the wardrobe and drawer storage you get as a result, but it was a surprise.
  • Check the height of your tow vehicle vs. height of trailer. Others have shared good information on this forum about trailers not being level and being nose high. Read those threads and understand this before purchasing.
Thanks again to those who have shared advice
I have the same camper ordered. Any pictures? How do you like it?
bwhite27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

Looked up this floor plan. It's cool, but is there really only one drawer in the kitchen? I don't think I could handle that!
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
Looked up this floor plan. It's cool, but is there really only one drawer in the kitchen? I don't think I could handle that!
The bedroom is what sold us!! Our last camper only had two drawers in kitchen.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhite27 View Post
I have the same camper ordered. Any pictures? How do you like it?
We had our first trip last weekend, two nights. We are very happy with the floorplan. We tested everything and it worked great.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
Yes, one drawer in the kitchen. Good to notice and be aware of. We use small plastic storage containers for utensils, and they fit nicely in the pantry and cabinets. This works well for us.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #7

Would anyone know if this model would work with Ford's 5.5' bed with a slider hitch?
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeum View Post
Would anyone know if this model would work with Ford's 5.5' bed with a slider hitch?
I doubt it.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeum View Post
It might work. I use a standard 6 1/2 foot bed truck with a non-sliding, regular hitch and have had zero problems. In the pic you can see the amount of clearance I have with the stationary hitch in the 6 1/2 foot bed.

Another option might be the factory option Reese Revolution hitch. It is optimized for short bed trucks. The dealer where I bought our 29.5 FBDS, I believe was towing an Eagle HT back and forth to a local RV show with a 5 1/2 foot truck bed. The trailer in the video, looks to me to be the same floor plan as the HT 29.5 FBDS in an Eagle from a couple years ago..

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #10

After having slept on it, I did some looking around and found this older post from the Facebook page for the dealer we have purchased all of our campers/RV's at over the last 16 years.

The actual Facebook post is here:
Northern RV Center
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #11

How far do your slides project? Trying to see if I can open the slides while storing in my driveway.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugawi View Post
We had our first trip last weekend, two nights. We are very happy with the floorplan. We tested everything and it worked great.
How far do your slides project? Trying to see if I can open the slides while storing in my driveway.