Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

New 5er/walked out

So tonight we went to "sign paper" for our eagle ht 29.5 bhok we ordered from a rv show back in Jan. we never really signed anything at the show. Just the paper work on what we wanted for options and price. Gave a $500 deposit walked out. Nothing else. We did talk to the finance on Tuesday after the show to go over (on the phone) our payment information and locked in our rate. (i Thought)

We got out build date 2 weeks ago of 3-12. Great News. Then things started to be strange. Last week the Sales rep email and said we had to come in and "sign some paperwork". Not thinking anything about it we went down tonight to sign what we thought was stuff for the bank and some stuff for the our trade. It ended up being a full closing on the camper After we signed a few papers from the bank nothing major. The contract came out. WE didn't have a good feeling about signing something that wasnt even built. so we read more ON the contract there was a first payment date of 3-23-18. (we wont even have it by then, it might not even be in the state by then). We ask the finance guy if this was normal to sign now. He said yes and they were doing contracts all weekend at the rv show. Not having a good feeling we asked what happens if we don't sign and we wait till the camper comes in to sign. He said that would lose the deal we had till the end of the month. Having time to do some research and talk to the Finance Manager we walked out shocking the guy we are working with.

My Question is did we do the right thing walking out?

Can they change the deal even thou we never signed anything. ( we do have emails with the numbers in there)?

When should we really be signing the contract? The day of pickup?
whjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #2

The dealer doesn't pay for it until it comes off the line.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

That is the strangest thing I’ve ever heard! I would never sign my name on a contract until after inspection of the trailer that has been delivered. Anything wrong with it, you have the leverage. You did the right thing and walked away. Chances are they will be calling you back when the rig arrives. Did you ask for your deposit back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

I wouldn't have signed either. I am in the process right now of purchasing and the only thing I have signed was the purchase agreement. The rest comes when I go pick up the camper. You did the right thing!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
RKusina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #5

They're going to want to keep you as a customer, so they'll work on your terms.

You're in the driver's seat. You gave them the deposit, so you've shown good faith in the deal from your end.

Wait with any other paperwork until you see the trailer and make sure it meets your standards.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whjake View Post
So tonight we went to "sign paper" for our eagle ht 29.5 bhok we ordered from a rv show back in Jan. we never really signed anything at the show. Just the paper work on what we wanted for options and price. Gave a $500 deposit walked out. Nothing else. We did talk to the finance on Tuesday after the show to go over (on the phone) our payment information and locked in our rate. (i Thought)

We got out build date 2 weeks ago of 3-12. Great News. Then things started to be strange. Last week the Sales rep email and said we had to come in and "sign some paperwork". Not thinking anything about it we went down tonight to sign what we thought was stuff for the bank and some stuff for the our trade. It ended up being a full closing on the camper After we signed a few papers from the bank nothing major. The contract came out. WE didn't have a good feeling about signing something that wasnt even built. so we read more ON the contract there was a first payment date of 3-23-18. (we wont even have it by then, it might not even be in the state by then). We ask the finance guy if this was normal to sign now. He said yes and they were doing contracts all weekend at the rv show. Not having a good feeling we asked what happens if we don't sign and we wait till the camper comes in to sign. He said that would lose the deal we had till the end of the month. Having time to do some research and talk to the Finance Manager we walked out shocking the guy we are working with.

My Question is did we do the right thing walking out?

Can they change the deal even thou we never signed anything. ( we do have emails with the numbers in there)?

When should we really be signing the contract? The day of pickup?
So did you think you ordered a unit? Obviously you did since you put down a $500 deposit. What they are asking is that are you qualified to make a purchase like this. Were you approved for financing via the dealer or are you bringing in your own money whether YOU arrainged financing or cash?

You don't sign FINAL paperwork of acceptance until you have actually gone threw the rig (PDI) and then wish to continue to finalize paperwork.

Something sounds strange here...you're end or theirs.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:34 AM   #7

You did good. I wouldn't sign till I did a walk thru. That IMO at least is the normal way.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:00 AM   #8

You are 100% correct and they should be ashamed of themselves. That is NOT just a loan application if there is a 1st payment due date on it. All you should need to do to order a trailer is put down a deposit and perhaps show pre-approval on a loan if you are financing. That is it. You do not sign anything else or make any other payments until Delivery - to YOU NOT the dealer. It is no different than buying a car.

If you are dealing with the Jayco dealer near New Haven - They are snakes. I walked on them at the show last year. I couldn’t believe how bad they were. The owner is a complete putz. Tell them you will come in and sign paperwork when you take FINAL delivery of the trailer. That means it has been through a full PDI by you, all options you have requested are installed, the trailer is registered to you, and you can take it off the lot. Not one second before that. If they won’t do it, RUN away from that dealer. I went elsewhere and got a BETTER deal and have been treated like royalty from our dealer. Don’t let them fool you into thinking you can’t get a trailer. You could order elsewhere now and have your trailer by May with no problems.
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #9

As of right now we are going to give dealer the Benefit that there was a miss communication. We are calling the sales manager this morning and are willing to walk if things don't change. This deal wasn't the best I saw but the dealer is in state and with in an hour of home. There are other dealers out there I can deal with and I still have my TT to camp with this summer if I cant get something in before June 1. We will see.

Thanks for the information it just seems a little messed up to us.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #10

Absolutely you did the right thing. I hope there was some miscommunication that you can get resolved... but be careful what you sign.

We ordered our camper 3 years ago. We went to the dealer, gave them our basic identifying information and a deposit on a trailer. We didn't sign anything else (nor were we asked to...) until the trailer was delivered a couple weeks later, we had done a thorough walk through and accepted the condition of the trailer.

It was a very smooth and easy process... we even brought a check from our bank for the balance. Took about 10 minutes, maybe less, to do the paperwork with the finance people at the dealer.

I highly recommend Keystone Mega RV in Greencastle, PA, they were a very good company to buy from.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #11

The old term of hair standing up on the back of your neck has been around for years. RVs will always be out there. If your not 100% sure walk away. Buying an RV is suppose to be easy not pressurized. Better be safe than sorry... You did good.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
Site Team

So they want you to make payments on a trailer you may not even have or have seen at that time? No.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
Site Team

What's worse is if the hair stands up after you have signed the paperwork. That's like a mail order bride.

Trust your gut!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #14

Sounds a bit fishy, almost like they need in influx of cash, so they are getting people to sign the paperwork early. I would think there could be some legal issues, it the TT was damaged/totaled will in-route from the manufacture.

We also did our sales agreement at the RV show and made a $500 down payment. In the Spring, the TT was in the bay for the PDI. We signed the legal paperwork first then did the PDI. I questioned doing it in that order. From what I can tell that is the normal route.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #15

I just spoke with the sales Manager he said the reason we would have to sign now is the rate we got was locked in for 60 days, that time is up within the next few weeks and before we get our RV. We would need to reapply and the current rate is up about .5% so he says.
Have to sit down and figure this out, but I think we might take a walk.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #16

Quote:
We would need to reapply and the current rate is up about .5% so he says.
Interest rates did just go up again, and most banks only give you a 30-60 day rate lock. So that statement is true and a gamble you have to look closely at.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #17

Heck yes once you sign RV dealer doesn't know you any more!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Interest rates did just go up again, and most banks only give you a 30-60 day rate lock. So that statement is true and a gamble you have to look closely at.
Exactly Grumpy!! It's like manufacturers changing some options, colors....on an order out...they have the right to do so.

OP...did you look for your own financing?

I'm thinking the dealer is on the up and up and telling you like it is. I wouldn't sign any paperwork until going thru the unit when it comes in...you will just have deal with the financial institution's rate increase.

Good luck but it should not stop you from getting the unit you ordered.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
I just spoke with the sales Manager he said the reason we would have to sign now is the rate we got was locked in for 60 days, that time is up within the next few weeks and before we get our RV. We would need to reapply and the current rate is up about .5% so he says.
Have to sit down and figure this out, but I think we might take a walk.
As others have said the rate lock period is understandable. You can however shop for your own financing, may find a better rate.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #20

I think we may have bought from the same dealer. We bought an in stock unit during an RV show. We signed the paperwork before completing the PDI. What was funny was that during the PDI the tech explain how some people would get upset with issues discovered during the PDI and threaten to walk out on the deal. The tech told us he would explain to the customer, “you’ve already bought this unit and I’m here to help you get it fixed to your satisfaction.”

I should not have signed the paperwork before the PDI was done but in my case I would have signed the paperwork after the PDI anyway.

Bottom line is that no one should finalize the deal until a thorough PDI has been completed.
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote