Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #1

new 5th wheel buy

Was hoping to get some advice from those in the know.
I have a 32 ft bumper pull (jay flight) that we love but we are looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel. I'm looking at the pinnacle mid bunk or the north point mid bunk. Sorry I can't remember the model numbers but its the big 37 or 38 footers.

It's less than a 8k difference. I really like the feel of both but knowing Pinnacle I the "top of Jayco line" I'm torn between the two.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
BigWW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #2

I went with the Pinnacle

Don't know why this is sideways but I hope it helps. And have you seen the new bathroom in the Pinnacle?

Click image for larger version

Name:	northpiont vs pinn.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	41833
priv8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #3

The info that priv8pilot posted is great and helped us with our decision too. We Ultimately went with the Pinnacle because it was the best floor plan for us. We couldn’t be happier with our decision, and believe it or not, the extra 6” width makes a big difference in how spacious the interior feels.

Don’t know if length is a concern for you, but be aware that the “37 or 38 footers” you reference are box length and actual length is an additional ~5’. Our 36KPTS is 41’ long.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:06 AM   #4

We love our Pinnacle also. Nice floor plan, heavy suspension and lots of storage. The basements are huge
2020 F-450 Lariat 6.7l CCLB DRW
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #5

Thanks for all the info! Are the pull out beds pretty comfortable? We have 2 kids (5 and 7) and it’s all about the loft bed for them BUT my parents will sometimes stay with us. I will give up the master bed but wondering about the couch as a bed.
What “hitch” did you guys go with? They err pushing the automatic slide vs Manual for tight turns.
41 ft is pretty long. I have a 32 bumper pull so with tongue I’m guessing is around 36,37
Old 07-12-2018, 06:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWW79 View Post
Thanks for all the info! Are the pull out beds pretty comfortable? We have 2 kids (5 and 7) and it’s all about the loft bed for them BUT my parents will sometimes stay with us. I will give up the master bed but wondering about the couch as a bed.
What “hitch” did you guys go with? They err pushing the automatic slide vs Manual for tight turns.
41 ft is pretty long. I have a 32 bumper pull so with tongue I’m guessing is around 36,37
Re: Hitch - what is your tow vehicle? Long bed/short bed?

Re: Bed - we put our grandkids on it & they said it wasn't bad but they preferred sleeping on the floor this last trip.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #7

Can't give you input on the pull out couch because that's the dogs bed and he loves it! As far as length I would not be worried. We had a 32 bumper pull and our overall length was 63 feet and our 5th wheel is 42 feet long and our overall now is only 59 feet and pulls like a dream. I use the Reese Ellite hitch for the Ford puck system. Hope this helps
2020 F-450 Lariat 6.7l CCLB DRW
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:04 AM   #8

Can’t help with the pull-out bed either as we haven’t used it. Like rkelly, our overall length is 59’. I’ve been using a Reese Pro Series 20K, but just ordered a B&W Companion for the Ram puck system. Truck has an 8’ bed so don’t need the slider.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #9

We have a 2016 Pinnacle, so assuming the pull-out bed is the same. Ours has gotten lots of use from visitors and they all have said that it is very comfortable.

I'd rather wear out than rust out. Swim, bike, run.
Mantygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #10

The decorative corner legs on the island is wood grained foam. One that we looked at had them broke off and you could see it. We have a pinnacle on order, but the northpointe is a good option for someone who dosent want all the little bells and whistles, but the majority of the 2 units are the same, becaue we want the 102" width as we full time were going with the Pinnacle but also the price.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #11

Welcome to the forum, BigWW79, and happy trailer shopping.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Re: Hitch - what is your tow vehicle? Long bed/short bed?

Re: Bed - we put our grandkids on it & they said it wasn't bad but they preferred sleeping on the floor this last trip.
I have a 2017 gmc sierra. Duramax (the 2500 not the 3500)
Its a regular bed not the long bed so 6'6 I believe.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #13

We have the pinnacle 37 rsts and we love it. Bought new last year, have 3 trips for a total of 16 days and 1500 miles. Has been great so far. Going full time in a month.
Pulling with a 2017 GMC Denali, drw, lb, cc Duramax. The rig has been great
and towing a non-issue. Our first 5er and the towing and feel on the highway doesn't get any better. We went with the 25 Q curt hitch.
Good luck and enjoy.
haweinberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Was hoping to get some advice from those in the know.
I have a 32 ft bumper pull (jay flight) that we love but we are looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel. I'm looking at the pinnacle mid bunk or the north point mid bunk. Sorry I can't remember the model numbers but its the big 37 or 38 footers.

It's less than a 8k difference. I really like the feel of both but knowing Pinnacle I the "top of Jayco line" I'm torn between the two.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
We have a 2019 Pinnacle REFS and absolutely love it. We pull it with 2018 Ram 3500 Limited with a Cummins. It is a short bed so we use the Pullrite Easy Glide Hitch. Both the truck and the hitch perform great.
One piece of advise we would offer based on first hand experience is to be careful if you are considering rear bedroom if you plan to install a washer dryer in the rear area. Washer manufacturers void the warranty on these installs claiming the far rear location results in excessive vibration that damages the drum mounts.
sail154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #15
PMC

Love our 2018 36kpts pinnacle and have over 30 nights in it this season. We were between the NP that’s a bit smaller and went Pinnacle as it had a couple things my wife really wanted. Price wasn’t a huge factor as it was more about the features, either would have been fine with me.

Tow with a mega cab Ram and use a B&W manual slider. I don’t have any issues with the manual but some guys really like the autos and wouldn’t pull without one. Both work fine, it comes down to choice as both have trade offs.

Thinking you’ll love either one you chose!
Good luck
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #16

Man I really appreciate the advise and comments. We will more that likely pull the trigger on the pinnacle. My wife wants to walk the Montana first but we both are leaning towards the Pinnacle.
Anyone tow with a lift on their trucks? I have a 4.5 BDS lift on mine.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #17

Be careful with the “lift” since the RV is 13’6” running level. My only problem with my 2018 Pinnacle 36FBTS, running level, was a low hanging limb which tore the roof covering. $5k+ for repairs! OUCH.
Gary C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #18

Not to be a Grinch some members complain of the out riggers/ frame supports bending under the kitchen slide.Jayco has the fix by doubling the thickness of the supports.Others feel opening that slide only when level takes care of the problem!Attached are old and new modified frame supports! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
old frame supports.jpg   New Frame supports.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
Can’t help with the pull-out bed either as we haven’t used it. Like rkelly, our overall length is 59’. I’ve been using a Reese Pro Series 20K, but just ordered a B&W Companion for the Ram puck system. Truck has an 8’ bed so don’t need the slider.
Check out the Ultimate Connection from Andersen, you won’t be disappointed I promise. That is the best hitch my opinion bar none. Quit and easy to take in and out.
Gobbledot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Man I really appreciate the advise and comments. We will more that likely pull the trigger on the pinnacle. My wife wants to walk the Montana first but we both are leaning towards the Pinnacle.
Anyone tow with a lift on their trucks? I have a 4.5 BDS lift on mine.
We were between the Pinnacle, North Point, and Montana mid bunk as well, we ended up picking the North Point as it seemed a better fit with our 2 kids (1 and 3) as it had more storage in the bunk room than the Pinnacle (but less kitchen storage). To be honest, the Pinnacle seems more for those with either no kids or older kids (as in occasional "guest" use of the bunk room) and the North Point seems more for families. This thought was mirrored by both dealers we visited when we were shopping as they mentioned that the North Point was the most popular option for those with kids and the Pinnacle was the most popular with the older generation.
WeRVoyagers is offline   Reply With Quote