Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

New 5'ver - PDI Inspection Question

Ok, just looking for a little advice from those that have gone through an Out-of-State purchase. My Wife & I ordered a new 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 I just got the word, the new 5’ver has landed. The dealer in near Dayton OH & we live near Cape Cod Ma. So it’s about a 900 mile trip to pickup the new 5’ver. So, here are my options for the PDI inspection:

#1 – Fly there and do the PDI myself.

#2 – Try to find someone local that can do a good PDI for me (cost for this service?)

#3 – Just drive there and do the PDI on the day we plan to take her home.

So, flying there and trying to keep the cost down, I can make it a same-day trip. Airport is about 15 minutes from the dealer, so no rental car needed. So I could get to the dealer around 11:30am, return flight leaves around 7:15pm. Only problem is, I would need the leave my house around 3:00am, and get back home around 2:30am. That’s a Long day. Of course, if I don’t find any major issues during the PDI, it might seem like it was all for nothing. But if I find any issues that take more than a few hours to resolve, than it would all be worth it.

If I just wait until the day we plan to take it home and find a major issue, we’ll have to wait (sleep in a hotel) until the issue(s) are fixed before going home. I really like the idea of paying someone local, if I could find someone that can do a good PDI on a new 5th-Wheel for us. I know I’ll get many different answers & possible options, so I guess what I’m really looking for is; How many people bought a new camper and had Zero major issues that took a full day or longer to resolve? Once I leave, this dealer won’t be servicing me again, so it’s time to get everything fixed Now, before I head home.

I’m Very handy at fixing things, so any minor issues I’m not too concerned about. I’d just hate to wait and then find something like a door that’s out-of-wack and then the dealer needs to order a replacement. I don’t want to spend a day or 2 locally, while I wait for repairs.

Your Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave…

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #2

Dave,

My thoughts would be for option #3. The reason is that you will need to have your truck mounted with a new hitch (if the dealer is to install one) then, connect to your new rig--and check for levelness. Next, the dealer may need to make any adjustments to the king pin box and possibly the spring shackles--making the combo leveled. The next advantage of going this route, also, is for you to spend one or two nights in your rig (at the dealer or nearby RV park) and do the PDI at your own pace. Then, any major discrepancies discovered can be either fixed the next day, or recorded as warranty issues. We picked up ours last November, when it was colder at night, and we got to check out both regular and water heaters, the awning, all the lights and the outdoor kitchen.

My wife and I were glad that we picked ours up with our new truck and spent two nights at the dealership. We did our own PDI that evening and brought up many issues to our sales person the next morning. One major issue was the outdoor kitchen was binding when we tried pulling it out, which turned out to be a major fix by the dealer!

The third advantage, is that you will have 900 miles to do a shake-down while towing your rig home. I guarantee you that you'll learn a lot of things when you finally get home.

Of course others may have different opinions, but I see many advantages by picking the rig up with your TV and in person.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
Dave,

My thoughts would be for option #3. The reason is that you will need to have your truck mounted with a new hitch (if the dealer is to install one) then, connect to your new rig--and check for levelness. Next, the dealer may need to make any adjustments to the king pin box and possibly the spring shackles--making the combo leveled. The next advantage of going this route, also, is for you to spend one or two nights in your rig (at the dealer or nearby RV park) and do the PDI at your own pace. Then, any major discrepancies discovered can be either fixed the next day, or recorded as warranty issues.

My wife and I were glad that we picked ours up with our new truck and spent two nights at the dealership. We did our own PDI that evening and brought up many issues to our sales person the next morning.

The third advantage, is that you will have 900 miles to do a shake-down while towing your rig home. I guarantee you that you'll learn a lot of things when you finally get home.

Of course others may have different opinions, but I see many advantages by picking the rig up with your TV and in person.
x2 I agree with option 3 over option one, if you fly out you are still taking an extra day of your time to do a PDI. If you drive there and find issues and they take a day to fix any issues you are still in the same boat except you may have to pay for a hotel over a plane ticket.

With paying someone else to do your PDI they may not be as picky or pay as much attention to detail as you would. You kind of are already paying the dealer to do a PDI but we all do our own when we pick it up anyway right?
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #4

Aero_Dave, I live just off Cape Cod myself, and ordered the same camper 3 weeks ago. Not to hjijack the thread, but curious how/why you selected a dealer in OH instead of the Jayco dealer up in Tyngsboro, MA (Forrest Marine & RV)?

Incidentally, I would also go with option #3

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

Option #3. You and only you should do your PDI. I would take the TV out there and have it setup correctly. Your looking at probably 12hrs out and 14 back. On the way back you have your hotel behind you! I realize we all have limited free time but Try to tie it into a weekend if possible and enjoy the excitement. Hotels are cheap enough and your not limited to being in that town, just within a few hours. Schedule the PDI for first AM appointment so if anything minor is wrong they can address and get you on your way. I would budget 4-5 hrs with paperwork, setup and just normal PDI knowhow.

My first 2 units I bought long distances away and both I was able to drive off the day of the PDI. You need to emphasize with your selling dealer that you are traveling a long way and that it needs to be perfect. A good dealer will take care of this for you.

Take some basic needs with you to camp coming back and get acclimated. Any warranty from there is going to be at some other dealer anyway due to your distance.

Enjoy it and good luck!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

Dave

Definitely Option #3 - I agree with what everyone else has already stated.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #7

Based on my experience with that dealer, COLERAIN RV, all should be good to go when the PDI is finished.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #8

We are picking ours up on Tuesday next week, along with getting our walk thru, but going in on Saturday to do OUR detailed PDI, but our dealer is less than 1 hour away. It's much easier for us.

I figure be the end of our PDI on Saturday, I'll know if there is something major, or it is all minor and we'll be easily fixed for Tuesday. Hoping for, and expecting, the latter.

With your situation, I would do #3, but I would be on the phone with the dealer first and politely tell them that you expect that they are going through it with a fine tooth comb and making any repairs before you arrive. I'd also let them know how disappointed you will be if you arrive and find any major items that require fixing that cannot be reasonably done while you are there. And also remind them about the length of your trip you are making to get there. May be enough to get them to open their eyes.

It would be nice if someone was close and could give it a once over for you! That long trip would be a lot easier knowing the rig looked in good shape. Would cut down on the worry!
Old 03-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #9

Option #3, also!

I would also contact the dealer close to you to see if he is willing to service your unit and do any warranty repairs once you get it home to Cape Cod.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #10

I'm pickup up my new unit myself, maybe I wasn't clear on that. I just thought flying out and doing the PDI now, if I find any major issues, they'll have plenty of time to fix before the wife & I drive out to get it. Then on the day we arrive, we'll only need to go back over the list of the items I identified during the PDI, then spend the rest of the time doing the TV /Camper setup, leveling.
Force, when we were looking back in Nov, we gave Everyone a request for pricing, including Forrest Marine & others more close to us. We went to the Boston RV show and ran into Forrest. Their pricing was more than what I paid, and I told the dealer I already had one on order. Even told him I could drive to Ohio twice and still pay less than what they were asking. My dealer gave us the Best price right from the start. They are even installing slider toppers at a great price as well. I have no issues driving that far, if he deal is worth it. Plus we will plan to use it, at least one night on the drive back.

Thanks,
Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #11

Thanks Dave for the reply. Never crossed my mind to try out of state for better pricing (or at least, that far out of state).

I won't ask what you paid, I don't want to have to face palm myself

Force is offline   Reply With Quote