Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #1

New AC not cooling

We have a 2018 Jacyo Eagle HT with 2 AIRXCEL 4800 series ACs, We bought it in the fall so never used the ACs. In April we headed to the beach and found out only one of the ACs cooled. We took it to the camping world in Anthony TX and they said the both checked out. Still didn't cool. Next we took it to Crestview RV Superstore in Selma TX and the replaced the AC.
Still not cooling.
We have checked the outside air and each AC independently and recorded the temp. Here is one of the recording:

Outside temp 77 degrees
front AC output temp 53 degrees
rear AC output temp 79 degrees

We get condensation runoff from the one that cools, but no condensation runoff from the one that won't cool.

I'm fairly certain that when I take it back to a dealer they will tell us the AC only cools 15-20 degrees lower than the outside air.

I would appreciate and ideas or guidance .

Thanks for any help.
RMRoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #2

Maybe the thermostat is wired wrong or broken. I would have thought after the first replacement they would have ops checked it.

Is the compressor kicking on?

Might not be getting enough power to kick on the compressor also. Just guesses.

I also had an issue with one of my units. I tested it at pdi and it worked fine. After I pulled it home and turned on the a/c it sounded like it was on but in fact the fan wasn't blowing air. Just the sound of the compressor. Opened up the a/c on top and there was some Styrofoam, from the packaging I suspect, caught in the fan blade which kept the fan from turning. I don't think that is your issue but who knows.

Also look into the a/c duct tape mod, you might have some very crappy ducts and are just shooting the air into nowhere.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMRoper View Post
I'm fairly certain that when I take it back to a dealer they will tell us the AC only cools 15-20 degrees lower than the outside air.
An a/c will reduce the incoming air by 15-20 degrees, temp inside trailer at 80, air coming out will be between 60-65. It's not based on outside air temp. Same applies to a home unit as temp differential.

Granted if you start with an inside temp at 95 after a day on the road it will take a while.

Easy way to see if compressor is coming on is remove inside ceiling grate and feel the coil.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #4

A/C

The difference between the air the unit is taking in and putting out at the nearest register should be between 16 to 22 degrees from the air at intake.

Intake 80 degrees: Out put between 64 and 58 degrees indicates the unit is functioning properly.

This doesn't answer the question about why the unit isn't cooling but is good info. Amazon sells a infra gun for $15 bucks or so to use to measure the temps.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:19 PM   #5

I don’t know enough about your rig. Is it a 30 or 50 amp rig? Some 30 amp rigs won’t let both A/C’s run at the same time. You may have an A/B switch for them.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #6

The fan comes on, but not sure about the compressor. How would we know if the compressor kicks on?
Old 04-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #7

How is incoming air any different than the air temperature? We used a food thermometer that registers in about 20 seconds. The problem AC never blew out air that was more than 2 degrees coller than the outside temp even if we ran it for hours.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:18 AM   #8

Thanks, I'm not sure how a gun would register a different temp and a thermometer would. I might be missing the obvious.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #9

The rig is set up for 50 amps. When we bought it we were told that it could run both ACs when we were plugged into a 50 amp electric box.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #10

Shouldn't there be condensation from each AC if they were running properly. Seems strange that only one drips condensation.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #11

New AC not cooling

Quote:
How is incoming air any different than the air temperature?.

They are referring to air temp in the camper vs air temp outside the camper. Air is pulled into the ac unit from inside the camper. That’s how it’s different than the temperature outside the camper. So if it’s 80 in the camper and 95 outside, the air coming out of the a/c unit should be 15-20 degrees cooler than 80 not 95....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #12

New AC not cooling

Quote:
Shouldn't there be condensation from each AC if they were running properly. Seems strange that only one drips condensation.

Yes you will get condensation from both if both are working.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #13

New AC not cooling

Quote:
The rig is set up for 50 amps. When we bought it we were told that it could run both ACs when we were plugged into a 50 amp electric box.

That’s correct. On 50amp camper with 50amp hookup both will work simultaneously.

Did both ac units work during PDI when u bought it? I know it was fall when you bought but I would have still turned both on.

Did either repairing dealer demonstrate that both ac units were working before you left? I wouldn’t have left until the did...
Old 04-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #14

Do you have a second thermostat? We do.
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #15

You need to make sure they wired the thermostat correctly. Is your thermostat digital or analog? You can look online and find a wiring diagram for whichever one it is. If the thermostat is wired correctly the next thing to do is check to see if the compressor is coming on. The best way to do that is by listening. Push your thermostat as high as it will go towards 80 degrees. Turn the fan on continuous run. Then push the thermostat down. At some point you should be able to hear the compressor kick in. If not then you will need to take it to a service center.
georam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #16

RM, I have a 2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS with only one AC unit. I too had a problem with cooling. 1st. thing I did was check the return air grilles in the living room and found quite a bit of debris from when the installers cut the holes. I then removed each ceiling AC vent and actually found that the cold air was going in between the roof and ceiling on four of the vents. I used white Gorilla tape to extend and close off the space so that the ducting would blow directly into the ceiling vents. What a difference! maybe this might help you.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #17

Quote:
The fan comes on, but not sure about the compressor. How would we know if the compressor kicks on?
Listen to the unit that cools, you will hear the difference . I am a retired AC guy so I wonder since you have had 2 dealers say no problem, is it possible you only have the thermostat on fan only & not cool ? Just asking.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new ac not cooling