Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

New here! A few questions on full timing and '09 Eagle 313rks.

Hi guys!

My husband and I are frequent travelers. He's a travel nurse and we move every three months while I work remotely. We've been eyeing 5th wheels for about 6 months with the hope to buy one that will meet our needs for under 15k (used). We're looking seriously at the Jayco Eagle brand, and the 2009 313rk specifically. I've done research on fifth wheels suited for "full time" and it looks like Heartland and Jayco are the two most reliable brands with suitable "full time" rigs for reasonable prices. This is all well, but I cannot seem to figure out how one knows if a fifth wheel is well-insulated or has a heated underbelly/ heated water tanks. For the most part we are following the warm weather, but occasionally we face colder weather (i.e. December in Utah at about 20 degrees for a month). Just to be safe I want to try to find a rig that will be suitable for cold weather. Does anyone have advice for the best way to determine if a rig will do well in cold weather? It doesn't look like there is a consistent specification in listings that I can rely on. Also, any thoughts on if the 09 313rks would be suitable for full timing and the occasional colder climate?

Appreciate any insight!

- Alena
Zalenanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #2

I have never owned a camper, but do now and expect to use it full time. Allow me to share some of the things I have learned.

Go to Jayco's website and submit a request for the camper manual and specs, it really helps a lot. Jayco customer service told me that IF you own it and request, they can supply the build order for your particular unit. They did not disclose if there is a cost associated with this. I have not done this yet.

As to heating and not freezing up, the research I have done shows that having some kind of skirting on the bottom is the best protection. I intend to use canvas supplied by a company called Sailrite and possibly Tyvek on the inside as extra R factor. I used only a Tyvek jacket in Beijing in December climbing at Badling and was thorough;y warm.

I also intend to have custom thermal drapes for the windows in cold weather as that heat loss is the big one.

Another source suggested that the furnace duct that goes underbelly is not sufficient to keep that area from freezing, so a heater there is helpful.

Some have disclosed that the propane tanks and regulator need to be protected in cold weather to keep them operating optimally as the cold effects gas delivery.

Another place I learned there is a special heated fresh water hose available that works better than a hose with a heater and a cover.

The absolute best info I have received for maintenance and procedures is from youtube videos. I downloaded a bunch and burned them to a dvd. It took a few days to screen the best ones and eliminate the time wasters.

Hope this helps.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Here are the specs on the 2009 Eagle 313rks. There is also a brochure you can download for that year that may describe the features for that model and year. If you have the VIN you can also request into from Jayco. Click on the link. And welcome to the forum!

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2009-eagle-fw/

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:30 AM   #4

In February of 2017 I purchased a 2010 313rks to begin full-time rving. We actually just started living in it on Thanksgiving Day, camping locally and plan to head out of the area around spring of 2018 when we both officially retire. I've documented the process on my website Home - RVing.Website. As my luck would have it, this area of the south that usually doesn't see cold temperatures until February started out cold as soon as we moved out of the house in November. It's been keeping warm in the trailer though. I'm going through about 30lbs of propane in a week with temps in the day around 45-55 and dropping at night to around 30. In the day with a sunny spot it really holds heat well. The basement area doesn't seem to get too cold but I shut off the water when we are both out of the trailer for the day as a precaution. My water tanks are not heated. The only negatives I have for this trailer is the kitchen area takes a serious beating when you travel. I don't keep canned goods or any other items of serious weight in the cabinets. The other negative is the overall weight of this beast. My TV is a Ram diesel 2500 and I'm right on the edge of every weight (axles, pin, hitch etc). Still working on bringing that down as much as I can.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:37 AM   #5
Site Team

Look in the archives section of the Jayco.com website.

They list specs and floor plans and features going back about 10 years.

Getting first hand experience like the last poster kevin will be a great source. Hopefully someone will chime in.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote