Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #21

So more and more people are recommending a slider so I’ll have to bed extra careful with the setup I purchased!

I got a fixed companion from B&W, assembled with the head 3” towards tailgate. Combined with the Orbital pin box, 6’4” bed and the cutouts on the front of the camper I should be alright, but I’ll be sure to check how far I can really go by practicing in the dealers parking lot before I take off up the road!!

Really appreciate the feedback from everyone. I’ll let you all know how it goes when I pick up our new unit Saturday! Maybe I’ll have a lightly used hitch for sale real soon, who knows!!
MoparSigFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #22

I have the BW Companion hitch as well. I put a 1 ton chain hoist in my garage and it lifts out super easy. Install is the same. Love the hitch. Best one I ever had.
Don
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #23

Congrats on new rig.....I had the same truck as you before I was lucky enough to upgrade to 3500 diesel. Look into the Pullrite Superglide. I’ve had it for 3 years now and never had an issue. You can literally have your 5th wheel on a 90 deg with short bed and never worrying about ever hitting your truck. Good luck.
RobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparSigFan View Post
So more and more people are recommending a slider so I’ll have to bed extra careful with the setup I purchased!

I got a fixed companion from B&W, assembled with the head 3” towards tailgate. Combined with the Orbital pin box, 6’4” bed and the cutouts on the front of the camper I should be alright, but I’ll be sure to check how far I can really go by practicing in the dealers parking lot before I take off up the road!!

Really appreciate the feedback from everyone. I’ll let you all know how it goes when I pick up our new unit Saturday! Maybe I’ll have a lightly used hitch for sale real soon, who knows!!

Similar to my setup also. Main reason for me was to be able to remove the hitch also. There is more than one way to skin a cat and your approach should work fine.

I have the hitch in the standard 1” forward position. You may want to check if you need those extra 3” of space. Having the weight farther back will make your truck squat more and may affect handling. My Reese Revolution’s manual has some calcs you can do to see if you will have enough space. Uses cab to axle distance, adds the new pivot distance and you can see if the RV would hit your cab.

Is your orbital pinbox the rubber one also. Will help with chucking if it is.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:38 PM   #25

We are new too. We have a 28.5rsts (similar in size to yours) with a shortbed Ford, and a MorRyde orbital. Plenty of clearance. I didn't take it to 90 degrees, because I didn't want to torque the axles for no reason, but I'll try to post a picture with it turned pretty sharp. Also, you either use a slider OR an orbital. You can't use both at the same time.

We also have the standard Companion hitch. Ours has a choice of 1 inch forward of the axle or 3 inches forward. We have ours at 1 inch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	hhoHfHyiTPOkkICNBIT36Q.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	51089

Name:	f%gO6YveTaSJy1KGQMZT3Q.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	51090

Name:	rGM+zveYT6Wqv3ZmsN7xvw.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	51091
Old 06-27-2019, 11:21 PM   #26

I have Chevy 2500 standard short bed with companion hitch. Never had and problems. If your getting close enough to hit your window, then your also close to bending your axels.
My daughter is currently waiting for a new axel in her JayHawk. Axel was bend due to sharp turning on pavement.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:05 AM   #27

no slider

we also have a 29.5BHDS with the revolution pinbox that we pull with a Mega cab 2500 Ram. I want to say but am not for sure that the bed on my truck may be a few inches shorter that what you have on your truck. Like you I was on the fence about a slider or standard B&W hitch. I have used the slider once, and wish I had got the standard B&W. even on my truck the clearance is not an issue. Like mentioned above you can not use the revolution pin box on a slider hitch.
supern0va77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:03 AM   #28

Thanks for the additional responses. Puts my mind more at ease!
I realize you can’t use the orbital function with a slider but you can lock out the orbital pivot point and use it as a standard pin box with a slider if desired. I’m just relieved to hear so many short box truck owners do just fine with a standard companion and an orbital or revolution pin box.
Only one day to go. Got my hitch situated last night!

Name:	B1EC6ACE-5B45-49D1-B926-C57C414449C4.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	51094
Old 06-28-2019, 06:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Thanks for the additional responses. Puts my mind more at ease!
I realize you can’t use the orbital function with a slider but you can lock out the orbital pivot point and use it as a standard pin box with a slider if desired. I’m just relieved to hear so many short box truck owners do just fine with a standard companion and an orbital or revolution pin box.
Only one day to go. Got my hitch situated last night!
Attachment 51094
Have a great time!
Old 06-28-2019, 10:14 PM   #30

I remember my excitement. Have fun.
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 06-30-2019, 07:16 AM   #31

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	51153

Made it to my in-laws safely. Getting it backed up into their driveway was a little harrowing. Not helped by my FIL shouting instructions at me the whole time! I need to find a large parking lot to practice in when we get back to Michigan!

Toes nicely behind the truck. Very quiet. A little bit of chucking noticeable. Thought the morryde kingpin would have reduced that more.

Hardly made the truck squat at all but I do need to lower the hitch head one more bolt hole. That will be as level as I’ll be able to get the trailer sitting.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamer View Post
Consider a Demco slider, worth a look. They are light from what I know.
The Demco autoslide is a fantastic hitch. I had one on my previous short-bed truck. Moves the kingpin back as much as 14” as the truck turns in forward or reverse. Unfortunately the only downside is the weight. I had to install a hoist in my garage so I could lift the hitch out then I’d move the truck and lower it onto a furniture moving dolly so I could stow it under my workbench. That said, I only removed the hitch in the off-season when not using the camper so to protect the hitch from the elements in the meantime, I use a roll up tonneau cover when not towing.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #33

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	51268Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0758.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	51269

Well I couldn’t be happier with my decision to go with the OEM fit Companion Hitch knowing we had the Orbital pin box. Just towed the camper from Central New York to Michigan over 8.5 hours with zero issues whatsoever!

I think the wedge for the orbital pin box prevents the bushings from limiting the chucking, as I could feel the camper pushing and pulling the truck over ridges in the road but it wasn’t uncomfortable.

Zero noise from the hitch arrangement and no noticeable clearance in the jaws either.

Honestly towed better than our 23’ wake boat used to!
Old 07-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Attachment 51268Attachment 51269

Well I couldn’t be happier with my decision to go with the OEM fit Companion Hitch knowing we had the Orbital pin box. Just towed the camper from Central New York to Michigan over 8.5 hours with zero issues whatsoever!

I think the wedge for the orbital pin box prevents the bushings from limiting the chucking, as I could feel the camper pushing and pulling the truck over ridges in the road but it wasn’t uncomfortable.

Zero noise from the hitch arrangement and no noticeable clearance in the jaws either.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with any Companion hitch. They are heavy but solid!!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Attachment 51268Attachment 51269

The deal was better coming to NY? Odd. I thought everything was more expensive here. Hahaha. Where did you get it if I may ask?
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 07-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
The deal was better coming to NY? Odd. I thought everything was more expensive here. Hahaha. Where did you get it if I may ask?
I'm curious, too. I'm going to guess RVone. Rochester, I think. We almost bought there, but our local dealer came close enough to make it work.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #37

Looks great hooked up. I worried about the same stuff, but the orbital provides plenty of clearance. Enjoy!
Old 07-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #38

Hey Cincinnati Kid

How's it turn with the tailgate down

I just bought a 355MBQS and it's 13 inches shorter from the pin to the front of the trailer then my 2008 313RKS. Asked dealer about getting an extended pin box.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD56 View Post
Hey Cincinnati Kid

How's it turn with the tailgate down

I just bought a 355MBQS and it's 13 inches shorter from the pin to the front of the trailer then my 2008 313RKS. Asked dealer about getting an extended pin box.

Have you ever needed to turn with the tailgate down? I have not done that at all as mine would hit the RV for sure.
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 07-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
Have you ever needed to turn with the tailgate down? I have not done that at all as mine would hit the RV for sure.
My last 2 5th wheels I could hitch and un-hitch on an angle with the tailgate down. I asked and emailed multiple times about clearance before the trailer was made. I can't get into the storage hooked to my truck. Some spots I parked with my other trailer made it so easy with an extended pin box. I have a manual sliding hitch. But at my age, I rather had less things to think about.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote