Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2016, 05:08 AM   #1

New Norcold 12 cu ft fridge

Hello all,
We are pondering ordering a 2017 Jayco Eagle 293RKDS. We are looking to add the Norcold 12 cu ft fridge. I know in the past they had issues with cooling units failing and not performing well tempature wise. Has any of that changed? I've always had Dometics and never had any issues including performance. They have the standard issue 8 cu ft, 12 and the residential 23. We couldn't do the 23 cu ft residential as we dry/boon a lot.

Thanks,
Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:08 AM   #2

We have the 12 cu. ft. in our 2016 Eagle 323LKTS and have had no issues except that it does not always switch to LP when in the Auto Mode and shore power is removed. It's at the dealer right now and it is one thing they are going to check out. It's really not a problem as when I unplug from shore and before I leave I check the fridge and sometimes I just need to turn the fridge off and then back on and then it runs on LP. As far as cooling we have not had any issue. The issues Norcold had were a few years ago and those have been fixed on newer units.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #3

Have the 12 in our 2016 355MBQS. It cools very well, even in near 100 degree FL weather with the sun shining on that side of the camper.
I have it set to be 33-34 degrees in the refer. Love the extra space over our old 8 cubic foot Dometic. I had to add extra fans in the vent area of the Dometic to keep good cold temps.
I have noticed on ours, that Jayco added the 2 exhaust fans at the top of the vent that Norcold recommends. They are thermostatic and come on in high temps.
All in all, the setup the way Jayco has it really seems to work well.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #4

We have the 12 cu ft fridge and had a problem with the freezer staying cold this year. No issues with the fridge though.

The freezer is on the list of warranty items to be corrected this year.

We have the Norcold 8 cu ft fridge in our first unit and had no issues with it. DW kept saying she was fine with the 8, but I insisted we go with the 12 in the Eagle, and now that she has it she's happy I insisted.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

Thanks to the info guys. I was hoping they made improvements to their 1200. A few years back they were money pits.
My current dometic, I added an aftermarket condenser baffle and a thermostatic fan. It will keep the fridge close to freezing in the 100's with full sun on trailer. Also an aftermarket adjustable thermostat. Fridge did ok prior but I wanted to make sure it did an exceptional job. Lol

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #6

I have one to and do a lot of dry camping. No problems at all so far. But I might add a cooling vent fan to vent the heat from the cooling unit better. We really like it and set at level six keeps ice good. I just wish they made the doors more solid, that feel cheap but work
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote