Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

New owner 2016 Eagle HT 26.5 BHS

Greetings,

My wife, two daughters and I picked up our new trailer on Friday. We are very happy so far. We never thought we would buy new and completely fell for the interior of this. The girls have their bunk beds, the huge shower and bathroom with outdoor access, single slide (simplicity) and very nice interior.

About our setup that has me so happy right now:
Our tow vehicle: is a 2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty Diesel 6.4L with a 6' bed, B and W gooseneck hitch. Purchased used locally for a very good price.

Hitch: added a B and W "Companion" sliding which slipped right in. We assembled it ourselves in only about 20min. After hooking up we were pleasantly surprised at the cab clearance of this combination. The trailer slid right in and it was a breeze to connect. I have not yet tried, or needed, to use the slide. I just adjusted the controller and off we went. It went perfectly, the trailer was really easy to tow. Really light.

PinBox is a Reese Revolution but you have to leave it a standard setup (factory is set this way) because of our situation with the goosneck and companion hitch. We have to have a standard setup so we will leave it that way.

Really happy with the lightness of the trailer, how well it towed and just the general impression inside and outside. Granted when I look deeper at the wiring I see a lot of room for improvement but I will tidy that up when I do the solar charger install and inverter installations. I will probably put a 4D battery in the front storage area as well.

We stayed a night in it already and are very happy so far.

I will write more posts for the updates/upgrades. On the list is:
1. Solar Panels (two Grape Solar 250W panels on the roof) with a TS-60 (Tristar) charge controller to go in the front bay next to the battery (#2). A remote display up at the main panel with the switches.
2. Battery upgrade. 4D RV/Marine up front in that storage area.
3. Tidy up the wiring, add labels, generally follow some of the many good diagrams and photos posted here.
4. 3000W inverter, probably overkill but I already have it and need a use for it.

Onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new Eagle.

Sounds like you had your 'ducks in a row' with the TV, hitch, and the TT. I'm looking forward to reading about your future mods.

oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #3

Welcome aboard and congrats on new Eagle
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #4

Congrats Daddy... Did you find what guage the solar wires are yet?

Edit... Just saw your post on the other thread.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

Congratulations and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Congrats Daddy... Did you find what guage the solar wires are yet?

Edit... Just saw your post on the other thread.
Well, can't say I've seen the solar ones from the roof but all wires seen so far are 10 gauge or higher.

I will dig around more this weekend.

Everyplace I open and find wires I see them just pushed inside tight spaces with them often rubbing on metal. The brake control wires rest against the leaf springs.

I really like the trailer. It just appears to have been rushed together in such a hurry by people without consideration for details. Which I will admit isn't discouraging me. I will go around and take the time to organize things and install chaff protection. It will be time well spent in the long run.

I'm taking photos of what I'm talking about to share soon.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #7

Onefastdaddy....

We ordered the same trailer a few weeks ago. Cant wait for it to get in!!!

You'll have to let me know what you end up doing for your battery setup should you remember. That battery compartment on that thing looks like it barely fits one!!
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedelen View Post
We ordered the same trailer a few weeks ago. Cant wait for it to get in!!!
Congrats!!
You won't be disappointed. It's a really nice layout and very comfortable. Our two girls are loving the bunks in the back.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #9

Some photos

Here are some photos taken of the different things.
One is the brake controller wires that rest, rub on the leaf springs on the Left side.
The other is the trim pulling away as a screw head and 1/2 the screw broke off.
Another is the speakers outside were screwed in too tight, I guess they don't use clutches on their drills, breaking the plastic. Both are like this.
Again, not major things but the wire eventually will rub through and short over time. Anywhere I see wires run it's an opportunity to go label, secure, tidy it up for safety sake and future reference.
I did the same on our sailboat. I'm surprised there are not companies out there providing this as a service. Buy the trailer, take it to them immediately, they go through every inch and correct all these things and in the end you have something truly ready for the long haul. I doubt this is a Jayco thing so whomever offered the service would have plenty of market opportunity.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0073_NEF_embedded.jpg   BrokenScrew.jpg   CrackedSpeaker01.jpg   TrailerBrakeWire01.jpg  
Old 03-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #10

We're in Reno, originally from Northern, CA. Curious as to where you purchased from?

mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote