Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

New owner 2016 Eagle HT 26.5 BHS

Greetings,

My wife, two daughters and I picked up our new trailer on Friday. We are very happy so far. We never thought we would buy new and completely fell for the interior of this. The girls have their bunk beds, the huge shower and bathroom with outdoor access, single slide (simplicity) and very nice interior.

About our setup that has me so happy right now:
Our tow vehicle: is a 2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty Diesel 6.4L with a 6' bed, B and W gooseneck hitch. Purchased used locally for a very good price.

Hitch: added a B and W "Companion" sliding which slipped right in. We assembled it ourselves in only about 20min. After hooking up we were pleasantly surprised at the cab clearance of this combination. The trailer slid right in and it was a breeze to connect. I have not yet tried, or needed, to use the slide. I just adjusted the controller and off we went. It went perfectly, the trailer was really easy to tow. Really light.

PinBox is a Reese Revolution but you have to leave it a standard setup (factory is set this way) because of our situation with the goosneck and companion hitch. We have to have a standard setup so we will leave it that way.

Really happy with the lightness of the trailer, how well it towed and just the general impression inside and outside. Granted when I look deeper at the wiring I see a lot of room for improvement but I will tidy that up when I do the solar charger install and inverter installations. I will probably put a 4D battery in the front storage area as well.

We stayed a night in it already and are very happy so far.

I will write more posts for the updates/upgrades. On the list is:
1. Solar Panels (two Grape Solar 250W panels on the roof) with a TS-60 (Tristar) charge controller to go in the front bay next to the battery (#2). A remote display up at the main panel with the switches.
2. Battery upgrade. 4D RV/Marine up front in that storage area.
3. Tidy up the wiring, add labels, generally follow some of the many good diagrams and photos posted here.
4. 3000W inverter, probably overkill but I already have it and need a use for it.
Onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new Eagle.

Sounds like you had your 'ducks in a row' with the TV, hitch, and the TT. I'm looking forward to reading about your future mods.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #3

Welcome aboard and congrats on new Eagle
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #4

Congrats Daddy... Did you find what guage the solar wires are yet?

Edit... Just saw your post on the other thread.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

Congratulations and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Congrats Daddy... Did you find what guage the solar wires are yet?

Edit... Just saw your post on the other thread.
Well, can't say I've seen the solar ones from the roof but all wires seen so far are 10 gauge or higher.

I will dig around more this weekend.

Everyplace I open and find wires I see them just pushed inside tight spaces with them often rubbing on metal. The brake control wires rest against the leaf springs.

I really like the trailer. It just appears to have been rushed together in such a hurry by people without consideration for details. Which I will admit isn't discouraging me. I will go around and take the time to organize things and install chaff protection. It will be time well spent in the long run.

I'm taking photos of what I'm talking about to share soon.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #7

Onefastdaddy....

We ordered the same trailer a few weeks ago. Cant wait for it to get in!!!

You'll have to let me know what you end up doing for your battery setup should you remember. That battery compartment on that thing looks like it barely fits one!!
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedelen View Post
We ordered the same trailer a few weeks ago. Cant wait for it to get in!!!
Congrats!!
You won't be disappointed. It's a really nice layout and very comfortable. Our two girls are loving the bunks in the back.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #9

Some photos

Here are some photos taken of the different things.
One is the brake controller wires that rest, rub on the leaf springs on the Left side.
The other is the trim pulling away as a screw head and 1/2 the screw broke off.
Another is the speakers outside were screwed in too tight, I guess they don't use clutches on their drills, breaking the plastic. Both are like this.
Again, not major things but the wire eventually will rub through and short over time. Anywhere I see wires run it's an opportunity to go label, secure, tidy it up for safety sake and future reference.
I did the same on our sailboat. I'm surprised there are not companies out there providing this as a service. Buy the trailer, take it to them immediately, they go through every inch and correct all these things and in the end you have something truly ready for the long haul. I doubt this is a Jayco thing so whomever offered the service would have plenty of market opportunity.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0073_NEF_embedded.jpg   BrokenScrew.jpg   CrackedSpeaker01.jpg   TrailerBrakeWire01.jpg  
Old 03-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #10

We're in Reno, originally from Northern, CA. Curious as to where you purchased from?
Old 03-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefastdaddy View Post
.... I'm surprised there are not companies out there providing this as a service. Buy the trailer, take it to them immediately, they go through every inch and correct all these things and in the end you have something truly ready for the long haul. I doubt this is a Jayco thing so whomever offered the service would have plenty of market opportunity.
90% of the people that buy these wouldn't care about that. They want cheap (which is why they are slapped together like they are) and don't care until they buy a lemon and then come to the forms to complain about getting a lemon.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
90% of the people that buy these wouldn't care about that. They want cheap (which is why they are slapped together like they are) and don't care until they buy a lemon and then come to the forms to complain about getting a lemon.
That's one way to see it. I would disagree. I doubt anyone knowingly buys something broken or that will quickly break or is dangerous. Unless you're in the 1,2 pct you simply want to buy the best you can for as little as you can. That's what we did and why I am perfectly happy with what I bought even though I will be doing modifications after the sale.
I bought the trailer because I can see they used good components, it was designed in a way I like very much, has good specs and that I could take care of the rest.
I've done that with computers, cars, boats, from the factory it's never just how I want it.
I thought about my posts last night and meant to say this before or make it more clear. I am really extremely pleased with what I bought and the price I paid. None of this is detracting from that.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #13

Sacramento RV, but you must insist on Devon (for us)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedelen View Post
We're in Reno, originally from Northern, CA. Curious as to where you purchased from?
Sacramento RV. I google searched the area within a few hundred miles and no one else had the exact model we wanted. It then came down to were they going to meet our price and they were very willing to negotiate. My tactic is to be respectful and polite but more important do your research and work with realistic numbers. We like to work on out the door. We will pay you this much sign and leave. Put it on the dealer to figure out the math to make that happen. They did and have no regrets.

It is my experience though you must control this whole process. Best I can tell their perfect sale is you pay, hookup and go immediately. You buy it in as is condition as it sits there. Anything to be done they want to handle as a warranty after the sale. I don't blame them this means they get paid for the sale and any work after.

My end I want to pay after I've used it a while to verify in real world conditions everything works as advertised.

The actual events are somewhere in the middle and I know the only leverage I have is the money and the contract. I never will sign or pay until I am at that moment ready to hook up and go. Then I have myself to blame if I didn't do enough inspection before that time. You have to be firm, we were, it did not seem to bother them at all which I will give them credit for. Just be respectful and see their side and speak in terms that's not confrontational so they know you're just doing what you need to do to be happy.

Honestly my wife and I walked a lot of RV dealerships between here and San Diego over the years. RV Sacramento is quirky but they appear to be solvent and they want to make the sale. They move product and the people involved with the business success act accordingly.

The actual sale went so perfectly for us because, and I really can't stress this enough, of a single salesman there "Devon". When we were quickly passed off to him by the orig. salesperson he stepped up to the plate and was exactly who we needed to work with. Patient beyond belief with our wandering the entire lot with him in tow. That is how you earn business. You put in the time knowing it may not pay off. Devon is young so when the others radar or whatever instinct told them we were probably not going to buy they disappeared. That's just our style. You're never going to get the best price if you let on it's the perfect one and you have to have it right away unless you're buying something from your parents. Which, honestly, Devon was like family quickly. Just quiet, polite, knew everything about them or got the answer right then. He was good around the kids and just put us at ease. Zero pressure.

If you go to Sacramento RV insist on Devon, I'd even wait and come back to work with just Devon. I'm sorry but to me that's the only way to force the dealership to see the value of guys like Devon is to show they will lose your sale if they don't hire a whole bunch more Devon's when things get busy or put him in charge of everyone else.

PS: Soon after picking up the trailer I started getting calls from resorts about my "Free night's stay" ... no obligation .. essentially my phone number was obviously sold off which really bugs me to no end. If you buy there insist that doesn't happen unless you want calls at 8-9pm and randomly through the day about your good fortune to win no obligation stays here and there. Which for me I'd rather contact them on my own.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefastdaddy View Post
Sacramento RV. I google searched the area within a few hundred miles and no one else had the exact model we wanted. It then came down to were they going to meet our price and they were very willing to negotiate. My tactic is to be respectful and polite but more important do your research and work with realistic numbers. We like to work on out the door. We will pay you this much sign and leave. Put it on the dealer to figure out the math to make that happen. They did and have no regrets.

It is my experience though you must control this whole process. Best I can tell their perfect sale is you pay, hookup and go immediately. You buy it in as is condition as it sits there. Anything to be done they want to handle as a warranty after the sale. I don't blame them this means they get paid for the sale and any work after.

My end I want to pay after I've used it a while to verify in real world conditions everything works as advertised.

The actual events are somewhere in the middle and I know the only leverage I have is the money and the contract. I never will sign or pay until I am at that moment ready to hook up and go. Then I have myself to blame if I didn't do enough inspection before that time. You have to be firm, we were, it did not seem to bother them at all which I will give them credit for. Just be respectful and see their side and speak in terms that's not confrontational so they know you're just doing what you need to do to be happy.

Honestly my wife and I walked a lot of RV dealerships between here and San Diego over the years. RV Sacramento is quirky but they appear to be solvent and they want to make the sale. They move product and the people involved with the business success act accordingly.

The actual sale went so perfectly for us because, and I really can't stress this enough, of a single salesman there "Devon". When we were quickly passed off to him by the orig. salesperson he stepped up to the plate and was exactly who we needed to work with. Patient beyond belief with our wandering the entire lot with him in tow. That is how you earn business. You put in the time knowing it may not pay off. Devon is young so when the others radar or whatever instinct told them we were probably not going to buy they disappeared. That's just our style. You're never going to get the best price if you let on it's the perfect one and you have to have it right away unless you're buying something from your parents. Which, honestly, Devon was like family quickly. Just quiet, polite, knew everything about them or got the answer right then. He was good around the kids and just put us at ease. Zero pressure.

If you go to Sacramento RV insist on Devon, I'd even wait and come back to work with just Devon. I'm sorry but to me that's the only way to force the dealership to see the value of guys like Devon is to show they will lose your sale if they don't hire a whole bunch more Devon's when things get busy or put him in charge of everyone else.

PS: Soon after picking up the trailer I started getting calls from resorts about my "Free night's stay" ... no obligation .. essentially my phone number was obviously sold off which really bugs me to no end. If you buy there insist that doesn't happen unless you want calls at 8-9pm and randomly through the day about your good fortune to win no obligation stays here and there. Which for me I'd rather contact them on my own.
We actually started the sales process there, after deciding to order what we wanted, even spoke to Devon and Keith. Both of them were great and very friendly. When we got to Reggie, things went bad. But in the end it all worked out, ended up ordering from Richardson's in Riverside hoping to take delivery around the end of April. Since you will have already owned this model for a while i'm guessing you'll know it inside and out by the time our's comes in..... I hope you dont mind a couple PM's here and there to maybe answer some questions!! lol
Old 03-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #15

@mtedelen: I bet Reggie is the guy we avoided after hearing a few of his comments while standing around looking bored. Keith was good indeed. Really looking back really just that one bad apple there.
PM anytime, glad to hear there's someone out there to share notes with.