Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #21

Not to throw shade, I dont know and never asked if you still expected to do maintenance on that orbital pinbox pivot mechanism even if you lock it out…. Might be worth checking out whem deciding. As for other things to worry about, the only other main worry was TPMS. Bought the EEZtire solution, it works awesome.
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #22

From what I saw the only other real maintenance was greasing it with the zerk fitting. Im thinking about seeing if they can put a normal pin box back on the camper. We can still change our minds and go with a Jayco 27 RS which I was happy with and has the standard pin box. The wife just liked the 30.5 RSOK because it had a king bed and second 15,000 AC unit in bedroom. We signed a purchase agreement but salesman said we could still go with the 27 if we wanted.
jaydreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #23

Fly in the ointment, I have the MorRyde with the Andersen and love t so far. Where am I supposed to experience the trouble? Hard stops? sharp turns? Uneven ground??
Redneck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck51 View Post
Fly in the ointment, I have the MorRyde with the Andersen and love t so far. Where am I supposed to experience the trouble? Hard stops? sharp turns? Uneven ground??
It's not the "MORryde" that's the issue with the Andersen, its' the "MORryde Orbital", when in orbital mode.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #25

Well I feel like an idiot. I dove head first into the thread about 3/4 trucks pulling 5th wheels and came to the realization my truck isnt up to it. The payload of my 3/4 is right at 2000 lbs. The dry hitch weight of the 5th wheel we are headed in to purchase on Thursday is 1850 lbs. Doesnt sound good. We have a signed purchase agreement but no money has traded hands. My wife is not going to be happy. I researched about towing capacity but overlooked the payload portion.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydreamin View Post
Well I feel like an idiot. I dove head first into the thread about 3/4 trucks pulling 5th wheels and came to the realization my truck isnt up to it. The payload of my 3/4 is right at 2000 lbs. The dry hitch weight of the 5th wheel we are headed in to purchase on Thursday is 1850 lbs. Doesnt sound good. We have a signed purchase agreement but no money has traded hands. My wife is not going to be happy. I researched about towing capacity but overlooked the payload portion.
Well we had many sleepless nights doing all this math, not knowing anything about towing beforehand. We ended up buying the 28.5 RSTS, Gross weight 10,995. We are at the very edge of our payload on our 3/4 ton gas Ford. Right at the edge. We weigh it often.

Double check your Truck GVWR. Ours is 10,000. Yours might be more. Your actual weighed weight of your loaded (unhitched) truck subtracted from your GVWR is how much payload you can handle.

Our actual weighed pin weight calculates out to about 18% of the trailer weight. Let's say you don't fully load your trailer, and can keep it to 11,000#. If yours is like mine with 18%, that's 1980# you might just squeeze it in. This is where the Andersen hitch helps, if you skip the orbital. it's 100# lighter. You might be able to just barely make it work.

All of this is speculation, and you can't know for sure until you weigh it.

If we had it to do over, we would have bought a bigger truck.

It's criminal that they call these half ton towable.

If you rerun all the numbers and can't make it work, hopefully they'll work with you on getting a lighter unit. They can probably sell yours immediately in this market.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:35 AM   #27

Yes. A one ton would have been a wiser choice for me when buying my truck.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:59 PM   #28

What did the dealer say?
Old 08-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #29

I went ahead and bought the b&w hitch and wedge. Going to be a man and see what happens. Might have to push back pick up to Friday or Saturday but hitch will be here this week. I know my truck can handle it. But that 2000 lbs of payload just weighs on my mind.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
I have a Husky 16K W. I had a short bed truck originally and have a new truck now that has a standard 6' bed. So I just installed the original Husky in the new truck with rails. This year i upgraded to MoRyde Orbital hitch and got rid of the original Reese Revolution hitch. The Husky 16K W works great. You never have to remember to pull the release handle on the Husky 16K W cause it opens when the pin hits it. Easy.

MarkoAttachment 74237

A 6-foot bed is still a short box.
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:04 PM   #31

Andersen hitch is what I switched to. You'll be glad you did.
Just get the safety chain kit for piece of mind.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #32

No Fly, Great hitch. since I switched to the Andersen, I have my truck back if I need a truck....lol
Old 08-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #33

Morryde and AUH

I guess I don't know what you all are talking about. My new 2020 Jayco (319MLOK) came standard with a Morryde Pin box and works wonderfully with my Anderson Ultimate Hitch. It travels great. We did have an expensive learning curve with this being our first 5th Wheel. Figured out we needed to spin the red adapter so that the pin box was a little further in the truck to get over the tall tailgate on a 2020 2500HD Chevy Silverado. Messed it up pretty bad even though the clearance looked good when going over something like a rail road track that was somewhat steep. All seems good now though.
RockGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockGood View Post
I guess I don't know what you all are talking about. My new 2020 Jayco (319MLOK) came standard with a Morryde Pin box and works wonderfully with my Anderson Ultimate Hitch. It travels great. We did have an expensive learning curve with this being our first 5th Wheel. Figured out we needed to spin the red adapter so that the pin box was a little further in the truck to get over the tall tailgate on a 2020 2500HD Chevy Silverado. Messed it up pretty bad even though the clearance looked good when going over something like a rail road track that was somewhat steep. All seems good now though.

If you are referring to the OP, he has an orbital hitch from the same company. It appears they work somewhat different from the regular Moryde hitch. Did you do the measurements on the Andersen concerning clearances? Asking because I will be installing mine tomorrow and picking our first 5th wheel this coming week. I do have a long bed and it should help with clearances.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:06 PM   #35

I am not an expert by any stretch.... I just know that when we pulled the pin box into the 6'9" bed of the new 2500 truck a little further it made a huge difference. We did do all the measurements, but everything was borderline, and there is a known issue with the new 2020 and up 2500 HD Z71 pickups that the bed sides are taller and the truck sits a bunch higher so we were dealing with that too! We are pretty close to level now with better clearance to the bed sides. I am still very careful. The new tailgate is will set me back $1800+ if I don't make an insurance claim.
RockGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #36

We are a lot like you, 4 years of pulling 28 foot Jayco Whitehawk and upgraded to a 28.5 RSTS 5er in January. It has the Moreide Orbital pin box and I went with the Andersen hitch after a lot of research. We pull with an F250 diesel short bed and we love it. It is so easy to hitch up and it pulls great. Easy to remove the hitch from the truck bed. I have no regrets!
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockGood View Post
I am not an expert by any stretch.... I just know that when we pulled the pin box into the 6'9" bed of the new 2500 truck a little further it made a huge difference. We did do all the measurements, but everything was borderline, and there is a known issue with the new 2020 and up 2500 HD Z71 pickups that the bed sides are taller and the truck sits a bunch higher so we were dealing with that too! We are pretty close to level now with better clearance to the bed sides. I am still very careful. The new tailgate is will set me back $1800+ if I don't make an insurance claim.

Sorry, I do remember reading about the Newer Chevy's higher side rails. And a short bed I am sure did not help one bit. So your problem was the side rails, but you had good clearance to the cab? I started to get a short bed, but I knew I wanted a SRW truck that will work but is not optimal for the trailer I will be pulling, and weight is a big consideration, hence the Andersen. The long bed truck has a considerably higher payload than a short bed truck.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #38

Andersen Hitches towing 5th wheel

I have been towing a 2017 Eagle HT 28.5rsts for 3 years and approximately 20,000 miles using the Andersen rail mount system with the More Ryde "puck" pin box. My experience is nothing but positive; ease of hook-up, light weight, etc. My recommendation is go with it!!
slouwez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #39

We have a 2020 Pinnacle that came with a More Ryde pin box. We tow with a Ram 6.7 dually that I equipped with an Anderson Ultimate hitch attached to the B&W Turnover Ball that came with the truck. We could not be happier with this setup as it is far superior to the traditional Reese systems we had with our previous large fifth wheels. Our rig pulls like a dream and is simple to hitch and unhitch at the end of the day. I'll never go back to a standard hitch again.

2020 Pinnacle 36SSWS
2013 Ram 3500 diesel dually, Aisin 3:42, Anderson Ultimate gooseball hitch, TPMS, Timbrens
fsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #40

I’ve got a Reese slider with morride best hitch that I’ve had so far, so much easier to back trailer up
Mikecol is offline   Reply With Quote