Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2021, 09:41 PM   #1

New Owner with MORryde pin box

New to 5th wheels but not new to campers. My wife and I purchased a 21 Jayco Eagle 30.5RSOK today and pick it up on Thursday. We are upgrading from a 2016 JayFlight 265RLSW. We loved that camper but really wanted a 5th wheel.

My question is about the hitch I need for my truck. The 30.5 is coming to us with the MORryde orbital pin box and I know nothing about it. The dealer is pushing me to go with the Anderson hitch but I am not sold on it combined with the orbital pinbox.

My truck is a 18 Ram MegaCab short bed with the 6.7 cummins. What hitch is going to pair well with the orbital box? A slider? The 5er came with the MORryde on it- is it an upgrade that I am going to love or hate?

Any info would be appreciated. We are very excited about the new camper but Im not sure which way to turn for a hitch.
jaydreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydreamin View Post
New to 5th wheels but not new to campers. My wife and I purchased a 21 Jayco Eagle 30.5RSOK today and pick it up on Thursday. We are upgrading from a 2016 JayFlight 265RLSW. We loved that camper but really wanted a 5th wheel.

My question is about the hitch I need for my truck. The 30.5 is coming to us with the MORryde orbital pin box and I know nothing about it. The dealer is pushing me to go with the Anderson hitch but I am not sold on it combined with the orbital pinbox.

My truck is a 18 Ram MegaCab short bed with the 6.7 cummins. What hitch is going to pair well with the orbital box? A slider? The 5er came with the MORryde on it- is it an upgrade that I am going to love or hate?

Any info would be appreciated. We are very excited about the new camper but Im not sure which way to turn for a hitch.
Get any standard hitch, not an Andersen. The orbital does not work with a single point connected hitch or a gooseneck. We have a B&W Companion hitch and an orbital pinbox, and we are very happy with the setup. Whatever hitch you buy needs to be connected by rails or the puck system, but again, nothing that just mounts to the truck in one spot. We have the Ford Puck system.

You don't need a slider, the orbital does the same job a slider does, keeps your trailer from smashing your cab on tight turns.

There is a learning curve with any of this, keep watching youtube, and hopefully your dealer understands the orbital hitch. (ours doesn't) If they don't seem to know what you already learned about it when you pick it up, call MorRyde for help. Download the MorRyde orbital manual now, and study up. It might not all make sense to you now, but it will as you are watching the dealer hook it up. Don't let them just slam it in with an impact wrench- it needs to be properly torqued to 200 ft/#, but check your manual to be sure.

Do not assume your dealer knows what they are doing. Hopefully they do, but trust and verify.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:17 AM   #3

Congratulations and welcome!

Agree with Cincinnati Kid about not using the Anderson, it won't work with the orbital pinbox. We too have a B&W Companion and couldn't happier with it - far superior quality to the junk Reese our dealer installed in the truck.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:31 AM   #4

Phew!!! You all had me running scared and had to go check. Our new camper has the MORyde rubber pin box, and I have the Andersen hitch to install on the truck shortly. Heck, has never heard of the Orbital pin box.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:33 AM   #5

We have 30.5 MBOK, orbital hitch. My hitch is a Husky 16k S. The set up is perfect and I have no issues at all.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:08 AM   #6

I have a Husky 16K W. I had a short bed truck originally and have a new truck now that has a standard 6' bed. So I just installed the original Husky in the new truck with rails. This year i upgraded to MoRyde Orbital hitch and got rid of the original Reese Revolution hitch. The Husky 16K W works great. You never have to remember to pull the release handle on the Husky 16K W cause it opens when the pin hits it. Easy.

MarkoClick image for larger version

Name:	20210506_104754.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	74237
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas111 View Post
We have 30.5 MBOK, orbital hitch. My hitch is a Husky 16k S. The set up is perfect and I have no issues at all.
I actually have the Husky 16k W. My dealer upgraded me because the S model was not suggested to use. The Husky 16k W hitches/unhitches very easy.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #8

Thanks for all the info. I havnt purchased a hitch yet because I was thinking I needed a slider. Glad to hear I can use a standard 5th wheel hitch. The MORryde orbital pin box is already installed on the camper- the dealer said that it came that way from Jayco. I don’t know if that’s true? Maybe the dealer put it on the camper or in fact Jayco did put it on at the factory. He told me that’s how Jayco is sending some units now. It isn’t listed as an option on our build sheet so I have no idea. With my short bed and the mega cab ram I was afraid I would be hitting the cab. Glad I posted on here!

One more question. Wedges? Will I need a different one to run a B&W companion / Husky/ or Curt q25? Or will those hitches mount right up to the hitch as is currently?
Old 08-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I havnt purchased a hitch yet because I was thinking I needed a slider. Glad to hear I can use a standard 5th wheel hitch. The MORryde orbital pin box is already installed on the camper- the dealer said that it came that way from Jayco. I don’t know if that’s true? Maybe the dealer put it on the camper or in fact Jayco did put it on at the factory. He told me that’s how Jayco is sending some units now. It isn’t listed as an option on our build sheet so I have no idea. With my short bed and the mega cab ram I was afraid I would be hitting the cab. Glad I posted on here!

One more question. Wedges? Will I need a different one to run a B&W companion / Husky/ or Curt m25? Or will those hitches mount right up to the hitch as is currently?
Yes, It appears that the orbital is standard now on the Eagle HT.. Just remember that you can "lock it out", meaning that you can put bolts in it so it can't spin, making it operate just like any other standard pinbox. You don't need to use the orbital feature or the wedge if you don't want to.
When it comes from the factory "locked out", the wedge will be bolted underneath, in a storage position.

It comes with a generic wedge that fits most hitches. That's what we started out with. It works. You can order a wedge that will fit your particular brand of hitch better. We ordered the B&W specific wedge (about $100), and I feel that it does fit better and gives less slop in the connection.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:50 AM   #10

A good way to look at it is that a slider will slide your hitch back toward the tailgate, but an orbital will move your PIVOT POINT back about 22".

An orbital is a bit of a hassle to set up, but less complicated than a slider. Another benefit of the orbital is that the pinbox does not spin around in the bed of your truck like a standard pinbox. That means you don't need to worry about the pinbox hitting anything in the bed of your truck or the side rails of your truck bed.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #11

Cincinnati Kid- thank you for all your explanation. This is a lot to take in! I have been looking for the b&w but it appears it’s hard to find currently with the ram puck system.

I’ll need to ask when I pick it up Thursday if it’s locked out or not. I want to use it how you described with the pivot 22” back. I hope the dealer is knowledgeable enough about the pin box to get me set up correctly.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #12

As a reminder, orbital pinbox requires more maintenance than std box. It needs regular inspection,cleaning and disassembly for greasing. Keep that in mind as it isnt a set it/forget it type setup.
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #13

To further muddy things, I'm pretty sure that Jayco switched to this brand of rotating pinbox a couple years ago. It works the same, but doesn't appear to have the rubberized cushion like a MORryde. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 12.24.01 PM.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	74277
Old 08-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #14

Here is a link to the Turning Point pinbox manual. Very similar instructions to the MORryde. Note the wedges you can order (optional) once you decide on a hitch.
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001724.pdf
Old 08-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #15

I have a 2020, it has std pinbox. I doubt I would use a orbital if it came on my camper. I would lock it out and use traditional slide hitch. Having that wedge was pain, friends of ours had it and it was nearly impossible to get hitch to lock in correctly. Had to buy a modified wedge. For me personally, less points of failure the better. Old school slider only needs blast of WD40 and occasional wash off with hose and it good to go year in year out. JMO
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #16

The more I read and hear opinions on this orbital hitch the more I’m not sure if I want it. We came down to choosing between two campers and the one we liked best had this hitch on it. My original thoughts were to just get a slider pick up the camper and go camping. Now this hitch has me more nervous with the new camper.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #17

Quote:
The more I read and hear opinions on this orbital hitch the more I’m not sure if I want it. We came down to choosing between two campers and the one we liked best had this hitch on it. My original thoughts were to just get a slider pick up the camper and go camping. Now this hitch has me more nervous with the new camper.
You always have the option to do just that. It will come from the factory locked out. Then it's a normal pinbox, and no wedge to worry about.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #18

Yes. That’s how I might just roll-locked in.. It sounds like it has a lot of advantages but some real world stories add some apprehension to the hitch.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Yes. That’s how I might just roll-locked in.. It sounds like it has a lot of advantages but some real world stories add some apprehension to the hitch.
Then you can free up your mind to worry about tire pressure, power management, stinky slinkies, axles and bearings, water pressure, the "sidewall crack", and on and on- That's why this page is so great...
Old 08-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #20

HaHa yes. You are correct.