Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2019, 06:57 AM   #1

New Pinnacle Owner

We're picking up our new Pinnacle 38REFS today on a cold Georgia day. We're so excited. Does anyone have any special advice for us on the initial checkout to make sure things are working properly?
Upabreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome!

Take your time during the walk through and be sure everything works, and that you understand how it works. We took notes, and thought about videoing certain aspects so we could refer to it later.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #3

First and moist importantly, Congrats on the new purchase!! Nice coach!

Here's my $.02 worth, DON'T SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL YOU'VE GONE THROUGH IT TOP TO BOTTOM!!

if you have the option to take along another set of eyes, someone that has been thru a new purchase or even someone that has a trailer. The more eyes the better. Pick it apart. That's a $100K+ unit and it should be perfect in my opinion.
I start at the top. Take your shoes off and climb the ladder and get on the roof and look over EVERY sealed area on it. The front cap area, skylights, vents, everything. Make sure that sealant is not cracked and is covering everything it supposed to cover. It's probably DiCor brand sealant, which is good stuff, and have them throw in a color matching tube for you to be able to re seal things down the road if need be.
Next, do a complete walk around the outside. Have them show you all the wheel lug nuts are torqued to proper specs and the tire pressure is correct. Have them SHOW you what those values are and write it down so you don't forget later. Open and close EVERY compartment door for proper operation and turn on every light in the compartments and on the exterior. Write down where every switch is located for those lights. Make sure decals don't have bubbles, paint job of the graphics is good, and REALLY look over the front lower area and the front cap area for stone chips that may have happened in transit down there. Make sure the front jacks and leveling system work properly. That has to be done when the slides are in. Take a look underneath to see the openings in the underbelly are sealed around the plumbing lines, gas lines, etc.
Inside, run all 5 slides in and out, run the awning in and out fully. Make sure the furnace and hot water heater work when its not connected to shore power, AND when its connected to shore power. Run both A/C units. Fireplace works, fridge works , Turn on all the water faucets to make sure they work connected to city water supply and they work via your water pump and fresh water tank. Look for leak under the sinks, etc... Turn on and off every light, and write down where the switches are located. Sometimes they put switches in stupid, hidden locations. Open and close every door and drawer. Check you counter top(s) for possible scratches. Check over the furniture. Sit in it, recline in it, look it over for possible scratches and/or rips/tears. Check the blinds/shades on the windows. Make sure they installed all the tv's and they work.
I'm sure I may have missed a few things and someone else will chime in. Take your time going over it. Don't be in a rush and don't let them rush you. I'm sure they aren't THAT busy today.
One last thing, make sure you have a good feeling about buying it. Have fun and ENJOY!
Old 01-12-2019, 08:16 AM   #4

Welcome from Alabama.

Be sure to get a morning appointment. Do not let them talk you into a afternoon one.
I told the salesman up front that I and the wife wanted to go over it alone first and I would let them know when I was ready for the walk through. Check everything and just sit around and look at things and get up and check some more. Do not be afraid to say "I don't like that". Be willing to say "I can come back when it is fixed".

Tell them now so they know what you want. (I think it makes them do a better job on the preparation).

Do not be in a hurry.

You will be overwhelmed the first time.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #5

Congratulations and welcome! X2 on the previous posts.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #6

Welcome and congrats on your new Pinnacle 38REFS. You've got good advice in posts 2,3, and 4.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

Make sure they show you all of the shut off valves. In mine you have to take the drawer out under the oven to get to the ice maker shut off valve. They did not want to show me all the low point drains because you have to take out screws and remove panels I told they I have all day and can wait. I don't think the guy could run the screw driver and his mom did not teach him the righty tighty lefty lucy. It was some free entertainment for the day. Don't let them make a bunch of changes on your fifth wheel plate without you being there they said mine needed raised so I would have clearance on the bedrails when I already have around 9". If your wife asks a question make sure they give her the answer.
albirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #8

Do NOT let the dealer rush you thru any PDI....try everything...every button and knob...ask any question about anything you do not understand....be sure it is hooked up to power and water....try every spigot and the shower, open every ceiling fan...see the oven work....if you have the tankless water heater...fell the hot water come out of the spigot....make sure everything works or do not sign anything.....my opinion based on experience!
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #9

Probably too late to help you. But for others.

All great advice here. Just don’t overlook the small stuff. Our 2018 North Point checked out great. Got it to our first destination and began stocking up. Only 1 shelf in the freezer? Took 4 weeks to get them from the dealer.

Beautiful Wife

Ladd & Stacy
Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #10

It seemed we were two shelves short...so I just made two out of 3/8 plywood....works fine...can’t see them with the door closed....
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #11

Upabreak,
Well??? How's the new Pinnacle?? Details, details,......
Old 01-20-2019, 12:06 AM   #12

Congrats and welcome.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #13

Hopefully everything checked out. We went the extra step and didn't take the truck with us when we did our walk through. Also had the bank withhold the final payment until we were 100% satisfied with our North Point. We went out first and looked it over and then the rep from service came and did our walk around. Found a couple of things and that gave them the chance to fix everything and check the unit one last time before we picked it up.

2019 North Point 377RLBH
2017 KZ Venom Toy Hauler (STOLEN, Recovered, CRUSHED)
2010 Sabre 32BHOK (Traded in on Venom)
1978 StarCraft PopUp (Long gone)
artoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #14

Quick Update on the New Pinnacle

We found some problems that were mostly addressed to our satisfaction by the Camping World dealer. The biggest issues in this category were the oven not lighting and the furnace not starting. Thanks for the advice everyone because we found them by making all of the critical systems activate. The next category was cosmetic but it bugged me and again the dealer team addressed it - the hang down lights over the kitchen island were not aligned to be parallel. The next items involved me getting up on the roof. Several areas needed to be better sealed and taped. The biggest problem I found there was paint blisters on the front cap paint. This is a bigger issue and we're still waiting on a warranty resolution. So we still have not taken possession of the unit and are getting more anxious. Has anyone had paint issues on a new unit? This particular unit was delivered to Georgia from Colorado so that may account for some of the problem.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #15

I sent a reply to the group. If you can not see it, let me know. Thanks for your interest.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:06 AM   #16

Sounds like you got a few issues that got resolved on the spot. Makes you wonder how it left the plant without someone testing the stove and furnace.
As far as the front cap, I wouldn't accept that unit. I wouldn't have signed papers, nothing. I'd have them get me another unit or I'd be buying it from another place.
Its unbelievable how some of these can leave the factory with major issues. Until the Japenese start making units with better quality, like what happened in the auto industry, these things will keep rolling out they way they are.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Sounds like you got a few issues that got resolved on the spot. Makes you wonder how it left the plant without someone testing the stove and furnace.
As far as the front cap, I wouldn't accept that unit. I wouldn't have signed papers, nothing. I'd have them get me another unit or I'd be buying it from another place.
Its unbelievable how some of these can leave the factory with major issues. Until the Japenese start making units with better quality, like what happened in the auto industry, these things will keep rolling out they way they are.
I seriously believe that Jayco does not have a Quality Control Plan or QC department. QC slows up the production process which is all that they are interested in. They leave it up to the customer to do QC.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #18

We had paint issues with our 2018 northpoint. We actually got ours from an RV show. It was the show model. There was a "keyed alike" sticker on the lower front passenger side of our front cap. It was like all by itself and in an odd location. After we did our walk through we took the rv to a park that first weekend we had it. I removed that sticker to find paint missing behind it. The odd part was there was no paint on the back of the sticker. Looked to me like they put the sticker on to cover the damage. That minute I called camp world that we bought the rv from. They said oh we will have to look into that. Anyone few days later they called back and said $1400 and we will fix that for you. I was pissed. They said jayco would not fix the issue because it was abuse to remove a promo sticker. Anyway long story short I contacted jayco and they ended up fixing the issue. My point being if you plan to remove any stickers make the dealer do it at you pick up. Then if its damaged behind it it's on them to fix it. Another issue was the water heater would not fire on gas. I guess this is a really common problem with the newer RVs it a know issue with the water heater. Good luck
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
We had paint issues with our 2018 northpoint. We actually got ours from an RV show. It was the show model. There was a "keyed alike" sticker on the lower front passenger side of our front cap. It was like all by itself and in an odd location. After we did our walk through we took the rv to a park that first weekend we had it. I removed that sticker to find paint missing behind it. The odd part was there was no paint on the back of the sticker. Looked to me like they put the sticker on to cover the damage. That minute I called camp world that we bought the rv from. They said oh we will have to look into that. Anyone few days later they called back and said $1400 and we will fix that for you. I was pissed. They said jayco would not fix the issue because it was abuse to remove a promo sticker. Anyway long story short I contacted jayco and they ended up fixing the issue. My point being if you plan to remove any stickers make the dealer do it at you pick up. Then if its damaged behind it it's on them to fix it. Another issue was the water heater would not fire on gas. I guess this is a really common problem with the newer RVs it a know issue with the water heater. Good luck
IMHO, Camping World is a joke. I've NEVER seen a sticker on a front cap. They obviously tried to cover up a problem and then had the nerve to say Jayco would not fix it..........how dishonest of them. Glad you contacted Jayco directly. I have no doubt that if you had paid $1400 for them to fix it they would have still put a warranty claim in to Jayco and get paid twice!! I don't trust those SOB's!!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #20

Yeah I did a ton of looking at pictures of the jayco 5thwheels online and I didnt see 1 other with that sticker where it was on mine. I saw a few with a big barcode sticker right about where my keyed alike sticker was. I am guessing that barcode sticker was put on at the factory before the paint dried all the way. Then the dealer took it off before the rv show and noticed the issue then slapped the keyed alike sticker over it to cover the damage for the show. In the end jayco made it right. After raising a stink before I contacted jayco the dealership shop manager was working with his GM on a compromise to get it fixed. Then to have the service advisor claim it was abuse to remove a sticker. Needless to say I no longer deal with that location and probably never will again. But it made me realize how vital it is to spend the time at the dealership looking everything over. There we also a few rv show related issues that were also addressed while we signed paperwork.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote