Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #41
Site Team

I stopped by our local Ford dealer on the way home this afternoon. This is a base F250 XL Crew Cab front bench seat.

2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #42

The internet, the state of California and our overbearing Federal government has turned us all into a bunch of ninnies. My kids went into convertibles/boosters/nothing long before the federal mandate, because I made the choices when they became uncomfortable in the previous seat. The newer child safety laws are preposterous. In a booster in the back seat until 57"??!!! my wife is 34 years old and 60". Apparently she should have been in a booster seat until she was 16.

Life happens, but If you worry so much that a 10 year old in a lap belt is an issue, then life is going to pass you by. Take a deep breath, close your web browser, and realize that it's all ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
The internet, the state of California and our overbearing Federal government has turned us all into a bunch of ninnies. My kids went into convertibles/boosters/nothing long before the federal mandate, because I made the choices when they became uncomfortable in the previous seat. The newer child safety laws are preposterous. In a booster in the back seat until 57"??!!! my wife is 34 years old and 60". Apparently she should have been in a booster seat until she was 16.

Life happens, but If you worry so much that a 10 year old in a lap belt is an issue, then life is going to pass you by. Take a deep breath, close your web browser, and realize that it's all ok.

cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #44

I'm not putting anybody in my family in the front seat without a shoulder harness. That's the way it is.

Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire View Post
I'm not putting anybody in my family in the front seat without a shoulder harness. That's the way it is.

And that is your perogative!!!

Happy 4th of July to all and may you all stay safe!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #46
Site Team

That's part of what we celebrate tomorrow and what we have fought and many gave their lives for: The right to determine our own destiny.

I grew up in an era when the idea of a seat belt was laughable. Now, I don't feel comfortable if I don't belt up when I get in. I have seen to many dead people that would have lived if they had belts or helmets on.

My fil will not put on a belt, he is 85. In our state we have a seatbelt law that states the driver is not responsible for passengers putting their belt on. If he gets stopped, the person w/o the belt gets the ticket.

It's your choice, except in many states.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #47

Quote:

Wire, good on you for putting safety over dollars.

If you haven't already made a deal, you might consider running the truck by a race shop. They should be able to give you the best option on a fabricated belt setup that will be quite stout. The trick will be to come up with something that doesn't resemble a nascar cockpit!

Lots of great points brought up in this thread. Do what you feel is best and absolutely move forward and enjoy it all.

Boy, I only have one set of twins... I feel half of your issues brother!

Best,

Jeff

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #48
Site Team

I applaud your safety consciousness but If in your shoes, I would spend a little more time talking with some professionals that may be able to solve the issue. I'm sure it could be done for less than the 10k you are gonna lose on a trade in.

My opinion is not worth 2 c to you but I would be concerned about the front seat shoulder belt to and would consider only allowing one of the 10 year olds there, no matter the truck. If it's like many with 4 kids, at home I would think you may not need it except when the whole family is going towing!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #49

IMHO I think you should re think the whole trailer and TV combination. We are family of 6 and a dog. There is no way I would put my kids 11 and under in front seat, especially for more than 1 hour in the truck. I got a SUV that will accommodate 8 people and big enough trailer for everyone. Kids will only get bigger. Think about how much space you will have in the front of your truck with a 15 year old child.

mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
IMHO I think you should re think the whole trailer and TV combination. We are family of 6 and a dog. There is no way I would put my kids 11 and under in front seat, especially for more than 1 hour in the truck. I got a SUV that will accommodate 8 people and big enough trailer for everyone. Kids will only get bigger. Think about how much space you will have in the front of your truck with a 15 year old child.

I think the rig he is getting is a fifth wheel.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #51

The conclusion of the saga...

I spent a lot of time going over options and had a clan of people doing the same. I consulted with a custom race shop among other things. There are other options, but none of them very good ones (i.e. a racing bar has to be custom made to not interfere with side airbags, and is quite intrusive, and is not reversible as it must be welded into the frame. I'm sure there are some do-it-yourself shortcuts, but I'm not going there).

In the end, a separate dealer (Akins Dodge/Ford in Winder GA), understood what a bad situation we were in. The owner got personally involved and they gave us a huge deal trading in for a new F-350. We ended up losing about $2k on this debacle overall. I'm pretty sure they sold us the Ford at cost or close to it.

We thought orders had closed in preparation for the 2018s, but they made some calls and were able to get in another order. They also said they would loan us a truck to use if it's not delivered in time for a trip we have planned in September. They were amazing.

The Ford has a real jump seat up front, with a shoulder harness and head restraint. I have no problem with my kids riding there, or my wife. It's a regular seat with no airbag.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #52

We already have a fifth on order. The Ford dealer said they would also loan us a truck to get the Fiver home and to take the camper out for some local camping before the trip.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #53

If you live in the Atlanta area and want to deal with some REALLY good people, go to Akins and ask for Neal or Keith. I've spent the better part of two days with them and they are awesome.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #54

I'm happy to hear there are still some good folks out there in the world! Glad it worked out for y'all!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #55

Quote:

I spent a lot of time going over options and had a clan of people doing the same. I consulted with a custom race shop among other things. There are other options, but none of them very good ones (i.e. a racing bar has to be custom made to not interfere with side airbags, and is quite intrusive, and is not reversible as it must be welded into the frame. I'm sure there are some do-it-yourself shortcuts, but I'm not going there).

In the end, a separate dealer (Akins Dodge/Ford in Winder GA), understood what a bad situation we were in. The owner got personally involved and they gave us a huge deal trading in for a new F-350. We ended up losing about $2k on this debacle overall. I'm pretty sure they sold us the Ford at cost or close to it.

We thought orders had closed in preparation for the 2018s, but they made some calls and were able to get in another order. They also said they would loan us a truck to use if it's not delivered in time for a trip we have planned in September. They were amazing.

The Ford has a real jump seat up front, with a shoulder harness and head restraint. I have no problem with my kids riding there, or my wife. It's a regular seat with no airbag.

Awsome conclusion. A $2K lose is extremely minimum, and letting you use a truck if needed is a bonus. Sounds like a great dealer.

Please tell us about the 30.5mbok. I have seen it online, and it looks really nice. It is really more camper than we need, but I like the layout.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #56

Old 07-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #57
Site Team

Great news that there are people that are willing to help you thru this. I predict you will quickly fall in love with the F350.

Just for info, I would like to know the size engine, transmission and rear end of the F350. If I ever had to buy another truck I would be looking at a gasser with your specs.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #58

Quote:
Wow, you did very well Wire. Although you lost some money upfront, the Ford will have better resale/trade value down the road. So, you might have come close to breaking even in the long run.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #59

So, regarding the Ford, I went with:
350XL 6.2L gas, CC, Short bed, SRW with the 4.3 gear ratio
One lesson learned when ordering is that if ordering a 250, the "10,000GVWR package" will increase the payload (seemingly obvious). But when ordering the 350, selecting the "10,000GVWR package" will restrict the payload (not obvious). I wanted to see proof of my payload capacity on the 350 vs the 250, and it was coming out roughly the same (3200-3400-ish). It took a while for them to figure out that we needed to delete the 10k option from the 350, and then the payload shot up to 4,000+.

Regarding the 30.5 MBOK: It's scheduled for delivery the first week of August. I will start a thread about it when we get it. It's our first RV, and there's been little said about it online. We wanted a mid-bunk, rear living plan which drove us to either the Eagle 355 or NP 377, and then noticed they snuck this HT mid-bunk floorplan into their lineup late last Fall, which was a surprise. We walked through one at a local Camping World. The experience was awful (Camping World), but the 30.5 was great. So we recalibrated back to the HT, which is really all we need. We're excited...
Old 07-04-2017, 06:19 AM   #60

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Surprised they still make an XL, glad you got it all figured out though. Never cared for Akins service department, if you need work done in the future, might wanna check out Jefferson Ford. Other than that, our family has had good buying experience from Akin, Jefferson and now Athens Ford too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk