Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2024, 05:35 PM   #1

New Roof install

Just picked it up today. I've posted a few photos that in my mind are questionable. Curious what you folks think, new roof wasn't cheap. Jayco Dealer did the install.
Attached Thumbnails
20240201_125827.jpg   20240201_130153.jpg   20240201_130217.jpg   20240201_125819.jpg  
Frosty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:15 PM   #2

Take it back.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:38 PM   #3

I’ve seen lots of roofs replaced by AZExpert. None looked like that! Pretty bad workmanship!
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:30 AM   #4

I think it looks wrong

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:00 AM   #5

Nope. I wouldnít have left with it. Thatís absolutely unacceptable. Those bubbles will ďgrowĒ over time as wind pushes and pulls them around as the roof fabric will stretch and cause premature wear on the roof fabric.

Iím shocked any service manager would let something like that leave. But, unfortunately then again Iím not that shocked.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 02:25 PM   #6

gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:15 PM   #7

Thought I was finished with pi$$ing matches when I retired this year. Lot's of experience in that area, never enjoyed it, became good at it. First email sent.... game on. I only want what I paid for, no more, no less.

I had the dreaded roof slip in the front. Normally I would of repaired it myself. However, my wife wants to hit the road, and I didn't want to end up in BFE with the roof whipping back like a sail. I liked this shop manager, so i rolled the dice on these folks doing a good job for me. I hate to sound negative, but it's not the same America we grew up in. Hopefully this shop does the right thing.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:21 PM   #8

Frosty I hope it works out and you get what you paid for and that it doesnít affect your plans.

At some point people are going to stop going to dealers for service. Mobile certified technicians are becoming more and more popular. I know a mobile service has limits but there are RV repair shops to handle the bigger issues.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:49 PM   #9

Update:
After a considerable amount of research online I decided to reach out to the TPO Manufacturer. If I could get the people that made the roof membrane to put down in writing that the install was faulty, then game on, right? After a bunch of back and forth and numerous more pictures.

Here's two of their responses:

Going off your before and after photos, I believe you are just fine. I donít see any issues with your new roof. TPO has less stretch than EPDM, so that can also make it appear that the membrane is loose. Just be sure to check and spot seal (if needed) your sealants quarterly to ensure everything remains in good condition. I asked for a copy of the repair order so that I could ensure that new substrate or an overlay was used prior to installing your new TPO. (This is required for all our membranes to ensure proper adhesion.)

Hello,
Thank you for sending. I can see from the work order that they did put new luan down. Everything appears to be in good order. You and your wife will be just fine exploring in your camper. Just be sure to keep an eye on your sealants and reach out if you ever think something looks questionable. There is never a stupid question, especially when it comes to being able to travel safely.

Thank You,
Warranty & Technical Support
Dicor Products and InVision, Brands of Airxcel
2965 LaVanture Place
Elkhart, IN 46514
Old 02-05-2024, 02:54 PM   #10

You might also consider reaching out to certified RV technicians who install new RV roofs and get their comments. If you reach out to several certified RV techs and all agree the install isnít correct that should also help your cause.
Old 02-05-2024, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty22 View Post
Update:

Here's two of their responses:

Going off your before and after photos, I believe you are just fine. I don’t see any issues with your new roof. TPO has less stretch than EPDM, so that can also make it appear that the membrane is loose. Just be sure to check and spot seal (if needed) your sealants quarterly to ensure everything remains in good condition. I asked for a copy of the repair order so that I could ensure that new substrate or an overlay was used prior to installing your new TPO. (This is required for all our membranes to ensure proper adhesion.)

Hello,
Thank you for sending. I can see from the work order that they did put new luan down. Everything appears to be in good order. You and your wife will be just fine exploring in your camper. Just be sure to keep an eye on your sealants and reach out if you ever think something looks questionable. There is never a stupid question, especially when it comes to being able to travel safely.

Thank You,
Warranty & Technical Support
Dicor Products and InVision, Brands of Airxcel
2965 LaVanture Place
Elkhart, IN 46514
My, my . . . . So lame!
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:22 AM   #12

Dont know why anyone puts TPO or EPDM roofs on any more. If you are replacing your roof go with a Flexarmor roof, no maintenance and lifetime warranty
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:42 AM   #13

I would have liked to have gone with FlexArmor. Would have been a 1,600 mile round trip from NorCal to AZ. Probably would have camped out in a motel and do some sight seeing. The problem was the old roof wouldn't of made it there. Would have had to band aid it up and cross my fingers. I don't have any faith in crossing my fingers. I was a commercial Driver for 40 years. If they had a closer shop, I would of done it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1597.jpg  
Old 02-06-2024, 11:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty22 View Post
I would have liked to have gone with FlexArmor. Would have been a 1,600 mile round trip from NorCal to AZ. Probably would have camped out in a motel and do some sight seeing. The problem was the old roof wouldn't of made it there. Would have had to band aid it up and cross my fingers. I don't have any faith in crossing my fingers. I was a commercial Driver for 40 years. If they had a closer shop, I would of done it.
There are installers that are mobile. Have seen YouTubers that have had Flexarmor installed in rv park
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:57 PM   #15

What’s with the bubbling already especially the front?
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:01 PM   #16

California has to many restrictions on certain types of products used that’s why I ended up going to Mesa AZ but that dealer isn’t in business. Nearest now is Prescott Az ( Flex Armor) dealer.
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM   #17

Unfortunately, sounds like the manufacturer is making excuses for the installer. I might just be a DIYer, but bubbles in and around seams are never a good sign when water intrusion is an issue. Document everything (incl. pictures/videos) and have it checked by a competent service outfit at least once a year. Safe travels.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
There are installers that are mobile. Have seen YouTubers that have had Flexarmor installed in rv park
You saw a different product installed at an RV park. Maybe 'RV Armor'.

FlexArmor is done inside, large equipment. I got mine done is Denton, Texas facility. No facilities in California that I know of.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiejar View Post
Unfortunately, sounds like the manufacturer is making excuses for the installer. I might just be a DIYer, but bubbles in and around seams are never a good sign when water intrusion is an issue. Document everything (incl. pictures/videos) and have it checked by a competent service outfit at least once a year. Safe travels.
100%

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, right? The installer buys more product from them that I ever will.

You're right, I'm going to have to watch that area like a hawk.