Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

New slim rack power gear system

Would like to hear from any 2018 pinnacle owners if they feel that the power gear slim rack system is any better than the old schwintec system on the kitchen slide. We have a 2019 ktps on order and wondering other owners thoughts.
gdemorest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #2

We went to the RV show over the weekend... of all the slide mechanisms on the new trailers and 5ers... All were Schwintek except one. It was hard to inspect since it was on the drivers side...

Another thing... these all had the thinnest gear rails i have ever seen... lots thinner than the older schwintek units i've helped my friends fix to get home from camping. They are not attached to the slide except at the ends, and all bowed out 4" away from the slide when opened.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #3

New slim rack power gear system

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We went to the RV show over the weekend... of all the slide mechanisms on the new trailers and 5ers... All were Schwintek except one. It was hard to inspect since it was on the drivers side...

Another thing... these all had the thinnest gear rails i have ever seen... lots thinner than the older schwintek units i've helped my friends fix to get home from camping. They are not attached to the slide except at the ends, and all bowed out 4" away from the slide when opened.

I believe you are talking about the slimline referenced in the original post.

Did it look like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5141.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	44191

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
I believe you are talking about the slimline referenced in the original post.

Did it look like this?

Attachment 44191
YES...
The 60 year old salesman said they were schwintek... I did not want to argue with him... there were 13 kids and 4 strolers pushing me on my ankles.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #5

It’s on my kitchen slide. Seems to do OK. Only time will tell. I keep all of my slides lubed, never stop mid-cycle, and always hold the button for 10 seconds after it stops moving (in and out)-except the living room slide.

I never had a single problem with the schwintec slide system on my 14’ super slide on my old trailer when many others did. I might have just been lucky but I will continue to do the same on my North Point.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:45 AM   #6

We have the slim rack on our kitchen slide and have had no problems. That said, like prm, we’ve never had a problem with the Schwintek systems on our previous trailers either.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #7

Ours have worked fine so far.
2020 F-450 Lariat 6.7l CCLB DRW
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
PMC

No issues with the Slim Rack on our kitchen slide and like mentioned before always hold the button down after it's finished (only 5 seconds but still do it in and out). Same for the Schwintek bedroom slide, no issues there either.
Funny that the one slide that we have had issues with is the old style slide with the living room seating... it throws a fault code and you need to use the touch pad to get it going again. It's never just stopped mid close or open but it's faulted a number of times and will be looked at when we bring it in for service at the end of the season.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
No issues with the Slim Rack on our kitchen slide and like mentioned before always hold the button down after it's finished (only 5 seconds but still do it in and out.
I can't imagine continuing to hold the button for 5 seconds after completely extended/retracting. What is the purpose? I would think that would put a real strain on both the motors and tracks.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #10
PMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I can't imagine continuing to hold the button for 5 seconds after completely extended/retracting. What is the purpose? I would think that would put a real strain on both the motors and tracks.
the motors are stopped, they don't continue to engage... it's apparently how you keep the motors in sync which can be an issue with the Schwintek slides.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
the motors are stopped, they don't continue to engage... it's apparently how you keep the motors in sync which can be an issue with the Schwintek slides.
Does that apply to the Slim Rack system also?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #12
PMC

Quote:
When we did our PDI he was pretty specific to do it on both the slimline and the Schwintek slide. They both have similar looking controllers made by Schwintek so that's probably why.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #13

Quote:
I saw this video from Lippert 4 years ago. This is where I got the tip.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #14

Quote:
I agree with PMC. The brain is the same. So for me I do keep the switch depressed.

The only slide I don't keep the switch depressed is the living room slide which makes a noise when it is fully extended or retracted.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #15

Slim Rack Slide Out made by Powergear (Lippert) 1510000236 Installed in 2017 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS RL. This has been the worst experience in my 50 years of RVing. The kitchen slide out stopped working on June 13, 2018. The slide out motor at the rear of the unit locked up and would not retract the slide out. Lucky this happened at my house and not in some far away campground. I had to call a mobile RV repair shop because I could not pull the unit to the service dealer where I had purchased the unit. Jayco made the Mobile RV repair people jump through many hoops in order for them to send out a motor. The motor was dropped shipped and arrived on August 21, 2018. The motor was installed the next day. The slide out still did not work correctly. It would stop and start, sometimes it would act like it was straining the motors would burn up. I called the RV dealer to set up an appointment to have it looked at. On September 17, 2018 I took it to the dealer and after about an hour the dealer could not find the controller. They called Jayco with no response. Again I say lucky (tongue in cheek), I had talked to Jayco in June and was told the controller was in the half bath under the sink. I was actually sent a diagram of the 36FBTS unit and where things are located. Once the service department knew where the controller was they started troubleshooting the slide out. Without help from Jayco or Lippert the service department was spinning its wheels. Now the slide out will only go in or out by swapping the motor plugs on the controller. So they ordered both motors, the controller and wiring harness. I have the unit home currently waiting for parts. The unit has been unusable since June the 13th 2018 and is about to go out of warranty by the middle of October and no signs of the slide out being repaired. I have the “Forever” warranty but of course the slide outs are not covered. Again lucky I had a two year warranty but my luck is running out and I have come to the conclusion that this setup on this Jayco is a piece of crap and can only be repaired by the factory and a complete replacement of all parts. It is really sad that Jayco has built a unit with a slide out such as this. Update later, maybe.
JPKendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If the reverse/forward mode only works at the motor than seems like a defect operating switch or the controller.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #17

Yes it does seem like what you said, but I can't touch the thing right now since its under warranty. That problem is only the beginning. Once that is fixed, the original problem or problems still exist. From what I understand Jayco is VERY protective of their motors, it will or will not be interesting the fix on the slide out. At this point I'm pretty well discussed.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #18

So my kitchen slide that has the slim rack system had its first failure when I was trying to leave my camping spot yesterday morning. Motor 2 which is the motor located at rear of unit, would make a short noise like is was about to start moving that end of the slide but do nothing. It did show a motor2 fault on the control board (4 blinking red and 2 blinking green light sequence). I pulled the power going to the controller and plugged it back in to clear the fault code. It did not help and it seemed like it was binding on something causing the motor to stop. I swapped motor1 and motor2 on the controller and the same thing happened.

So I decided I would have to take the motors out so I could manually bring the slide in. Took the outside trim off to access the rear motor and man I am telling you the motor was wedged in there good. I had to beat and pry on it to get it out. That got me thinking it was bound up for sure. Once I got it out I plugged it in and sure enough it spun just fine. I was able to move that side of the slide in and out a bit very easily by pushing and pulling on it when the motor was out. I figured I would put the motor back in and give it a go. Got the motor to slide in much easier than when I removed it. Got it all buttoned up and sure enough the slide worked like a champ once again. Once I got home yesterday and today I have opened/closed the slide several times and it looks good for the time being. I will be keeping an eye on it for sure.

It sure does suck that you have to take both motors out to manually move the slide. it is NOT a 5 minute task. Plus once you get the slide in you have to put the motors back in to hold the slide in place which requires you to remove the trim from the inside......

One thing about the exterior trim was that many of screws (8 of them) that went into the fiberglass were broke. They basically just fell of when I went to unscrew them. Looks like I will be drilling them out to get some more in their place.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-09-24 16.28.38.jpg   2018-09-24 16.27.15.jpg  

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #19

I totally agree with you Jason. There should be no reason for the need to take out both motors to get the slide back in. Very poor design and not being able to get the slide back in could put us in a very bad place. When they replaced the rear motor on the rear of my kitchen slide, they also broke the heads off a couple of the screws. I think I will find some stainless steel screws to replace the aluminum ones. When they took the motor out of mine it also was very difficult to lift out of the mounting. A lot of prying was needed!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #20

So what do you think caused the bind?
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote