Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #1

New Thread About Voltage

I thought I would start a new thread since the one on voltage seems to have reached its conclusion.

I have a BMPro that has one button that turns on every light in the house at the same time. When I do I get the little triangle warning that says the voltage is low. I did some checking with my volt meter and here is what I found:

Everything off BMPro shows 13.0
All lights on it shows 11.9 with a low voltage warning.
All lights off voltage at the 2 6 volt batteries: 12.9
All lights on voltage at the batteries: 12.8

I have a Xantrex Freedom X 1200 inverter with a readout panel inside the coach. With all the lights off it shows 13.0. Lights on it is 12.9.

If I turn the battery cut off switch off my battery reading is 12.9.

My conclusion is I'm getting a false reading from the BMPro. I'm not sure why unless the wire that gives that info is too light or something. Sound right?

One other question. I can't find the converter unless it is combined with the Xantrex inverter. I looked up the info on it and it appears to just be an inverter.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post

One other question. I can't find the converter unless it is combined with the Xantrex inverter. I looked up the info on it and it appears to just be an inverter.
Converter is built into the breaker/fuse panel.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #3

I'm not familiar with the BMPro but it appears that it is not very reliable. The important reading is what is at the battery, which in your case is good. I assume that the inverter is connected via heavy cables directly to the battery which is why it is giving a good reading.

Not knowing where the BMPro takes it reading from, I would suggest taking another test reading at your fuse panel. Just a guess but that might be the general area where this things senses voltage.

You will get a voltage drop with everything turned on. The amount of drop will depend on the size and run length of the wire from the battery to the fuse panel.

If you are dropping to 11.9 you indeed have some resistance in the line. I had a similar problem with a low voltage warning on my fridge. My battery would be around 12.3 or 12.2 and the fridge would show a low voltage warning. The measurement at the fridge was over a volt lower than the battery measurement.

I ended up piggy backing a 14 gauge wire with the original fridge wire. This completely solved my voltage drop and warning. From what the Jayco wiring diagram showed, it should have had a heavy enough wire in the first place. Maybe they had a poor splice somewhere inline which caused my problem.

The wire size feeding the gauge should not be an issue as the gauge wouldn't be pulling much current.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I've not had any issues with the BMPro other than the voltage read out. I will try to find how the voltage info gets to the tablet but I'm not going to worry about it if I can't now that I know I have good power even with the all the lights on.

Our previous fifth wheel had a separate converter behind the storage bay. I didn't know there was one built in to the fuse panel.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #5

I have found loose connections in the converter before. Pull battery cable and disconnect shore and tug every wire. You may find your problem there.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #6

I didn't make any progress with finding the reason my BMPro is giving me a low voltage warning when I turn on all the lights but I did learn one thing. Jayco did not skimp on some of the wiring at least. Our previous fifth wheel was a mid-ish high end Excel. I had to rewire the inverter/battery connection with 2 gauge wire because they only used 6 gauge. The Pinnacle has 2 gauge running from the battery to the leveling pump and to the inverter. I was pleased to find that.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:18 AM   #7
CwD

Check the ground from the battery to the frame. In my 2020 Northpoint, the self drilling screw loosened enough to give me voltage issues in several areas including the BMPRO controller. Tightened it up and all is well. The main ground point was at a location above the batteries behind a wood panel in the front storage area.

CwD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwD View Post
Check the ground from the battery to the frame. In my 2020 Northpoint, the self drilling screw loosened enough to give me voltage issues in several areas including the BMPRO controller. Tightened it up and all is well. The main ground point was at a location above the batteries behind a wood panel in the front storage area.
Thanks. I will check it today.