Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2021, 12:04 PM   #1

New tires

When it comes time for new tires do you all take the unit to a tire store or remove the tires and wheels and take them to a tire store?
2012 Jayco Eagle 321RLST
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
When it comes time for new tires do you all take the unit to a tire store or remove the tires and wheels and take them to a tire store?
2012 Jayco Eagle 321RLST
I take ours to Discount tire and they do all the work...any good tire store with the room should do the same also. When I put metal valve stems in for our tire pressure monitoring system, Discount tire did it for free....
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. We have a good Discount store near me. Boughtvtires for our vehicles from them. Just not sure how experienced they are at jacking up an RV. Not suppose to jack on the axles.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #4

I used DT when I upgraded my rims. Wasn’t confident I could use the drive either of the local DT shops had so I removed them at the storage lot and hauled them to the shop along with the new rims. I figured a way to support the 5th with 2x4 cribbing and front landing gear so I could get all 4 in one trip.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #5

The manual says not to jack it up when not attached to the tow vehicle I don't have the hydraulic stabilizers.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:06 PM   #6

It depends on the size of your rig, the size of your favorite tire store and whether the guys there can follow directions and jack the trailer off the frame and not the axles.
I take mine off and take them to DT. The store lot isn't real big and I'd have to block like 4 of 5 lanes of a state highway to back our 44' Northpoint pig in there and it would take up like 1/4 of their lot and 6 of 8 service bays.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
It depends on the size of your rig, the size of your favorite tire store and whether the guys there can follow directions and jack the trailer off the frame and not the axles.
I take mine off and take them to DT. The store lot isn't real big and I'd have to block like 4 of 5 lanes of a state highway to back our 44' Northpoint pig in there and it would take up like 1/4 of their lot and 6 of 8 service bays.
Do you just have landing gear up front or hydraulic stabilizers
Old 06-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
2012 Jayco Eagle 321RLST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
I've done it both ways. It just depends.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #9

I take the RV in.
My cousin manages the auto/tire dept. at a Walmart near Dallas and he is locked into a policy from above that does NOT allow him to remove trailer wheels. If you want tires from his store you bring in the rims/tires and don't say they are from a trailer/Rv.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
I take the RV in.
My cousin manages the auto/tire dept. at a Walmart near Dallas and he is locked into a policy from above that does NOT allow him to remove trailer wheels. If you want tires from his store you bring in the rims/tires and don't say they are from a trailer/Rv.
Do they even sell trailer tires?