Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2021, 06:01 AM   #1

New to 5th wheels and Jayco, I have questions

We have placed an order for a 29.5 BHDS that is supposed to be built end of April/beginning of May. This will be our first Jayco and our first 5th wheel. We have had a few different travel trailers but there are some questions that I have thought of and I’m sure many more to go.

My first is RV power extension cords. Our travel trailers have all been 30 amp and almost every park we have been to is 30 amp. The Jayco unit is wired for 50 amp but we didn’t order the second AC because I’d never be able to run it. I currently have a 30 amp RV extension cord. I know I will need a 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone. My question is whether I should get a 50 amp extension cord instead, keep the 30 amp I have and run the 50 amp cord from the unit, then dog bone, then plug the 30 amp extension cord into the park plug, or does it really matter if all I can get is 30 amp anyway?

Next question is the jack pads. I have a set of the Lynx levelers but I’ve already cracked a couple with our current TT. The 5th wheel is 3000# heavier and has auto leveling. I’ve been looking at the Anderson “bucket” looking ones where the jack foot would fit into the top ring of the bucket. I’ve come to believe that the less travel on the Ram of the auto leveling, the more stable the unit would be.

Lastly, for now, is the king pin tripod thing. I’ve seen some use it, others no. Does it make a huge difference? Is it not needed with the auto level?

Thanks
Loomis077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:02 AM   #2

1. Are you traveling to different camp sites? There are 50A at nearly every park we've been to... some of the campers can do ok on 1AC but to me, if you have 50A, use that service whenever available as much as possible and use your 30A pigtail if it isn't. I wouldn't keep the 30A cord unless you think you'll be someplace where the power is beyond 30 or 50 feet? It's heavier and such but I'd keep the 50A cord.

2. I love our Anderson red buckets. They have a great warranty and are nearly indestructible. Like you, I like less travel from my landing gear and leveling system.

3. Mixed reviews. I know people who use them and swear by them. Then there are others who say they're not needed. I used them in our last 5th wheel; but it didn't have auto-level and only utilized landing gear and rear scissor stabilizers. So i felt it helped overall.

Some techs and 5th wheel owners say your camper settles over time on the pad and these stabilizers can actually damage your trailer. The pin stabilizer AND slide stabilizers/supports. So there's always that scenario/hypothesis.

So on that question I don't have a solid go/ no go for ya. My first overnight in going to use it one night and not the next to see if I notice any difference. That's about as scientific as I can get lol.
Camperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:13 AM   #3

First of all welcome to the family.

On the extension cord if you are only going to use 30 amp service and already have a 30 amp extension cord i would not invest in a 50 amp cord, they are pricey and heavy.

I don't have any experience with the Anderson buckets but I know others have. You are correct the less you have to extend the jacks the more stable the 5er will be.

On our first 5er we had a king pin tripod. When we upgraded to the Pinnacle with the autoleveling system we did not keep it. The 5er does move when we walk around but not that bad. I don't miss hauling the tripod around and setting it up. It will really come down to personal preference.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:13 AM   #4

Majority of private parks have 50 amp service. Public parks are mixed. I personally would get a 50 amp extension and a dog bone.

I also use Anderson buckets on all 6 legs. Stable, sturdy and reduce leg travel.

We had a tripod on our Cougar before the North Point. I honestly can't say it made much difference. The 6 point auto level on our North Point works for us and we have not felt the need to augment it with addon stabilizers.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis077 View Post
My first is RV power extension cords. Our travel trailers have all been 30 amp and almost every park we have been to is 30 amp. The Jayco unit is wired for 50 amp but we didn’t order the second AC because I’d never be able to run it. I currently have a 30 amp RV extension cord. I know I will need a 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone. My question is whether I should get a 50 amp extension cord instead, keep the 30 amp I have and run the 50 amp cord from the unit, then dog bone, then plug the 30 amp extension cord into the park plug, or does it really matter if all I can get is 30 amp anyway?
Current wise it makes no difference.

There is a major price difference between a 30 amp and 50 amp cord. Since you do not have the 2nd a/c, which is the primary extra load and you don't go to parks with 50 amp, I personally would just stick with a 30 amp ext cord for now. Just put the adapter in the middle. If and when you add the 2nd a/c you can always upgrade to a 50 amp then.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:16 AM   #6

My TT was set up like your 5er is going to be set up (50A service with AC Prep, but never added the 2nd AC). I generally ran the 50A cord all the time except when running on generator. For that scenario, I was able to purchase a long 30A cord that plugged directly into the 50A service on my trailer (Twistlock), and directly into the 30A RV port on my generator. Think of it as a 50ft dogbone adapter.

If you're rarely going to use 50A, this is the way I would go. The 30A cord I had was MUCH easier to deal with than the 50A cord, even though it was much longer. Especially when it was cold; that heavy and cumbersome 50A cord could get really stiff in the cold, making it even more difficult to deal with.

Now I have a motorhome with 30A service, and I always carry dogbones to adapt up to 50A RV outlets, as well as down to 15/20A. There are a couple places we stay that have worn out 30A service, so I adapt up to the less frequently used and less worn out 50A service. Plus I have 50A shore power at my house, so I adapt there when I'm in the driveway. Always a good idea to carry a couple adapters just in case.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses! We are seasoned campers but I feel that going from a TT to a 5er will be a bit of a learning curve.

I also should have clarified before but we mostly stay at State Parks here in Michigan. I haven’t seen one yet with 50 amp hookup other than maybe the ADA sites. In fact, it is basically unheard of for the state parks to have water and/or sewer at the sites. You are basically dry camping with a 30 amp outlet.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #8

Another question I thought of, is it worth having 2 batteries in the 5th wheel? Our TT has only ever had 1 and it hasn’t been an issue but I’m wondering if the heavier landing gear, auto leveling, 2 slide outs, and 12 volt refrigerator we optioned might warrant a second battery? We don’t do a lot of off the grid camping and when we do we take the Yamaha generator. Just wondering if the extra energy demand would warrant it if running landing gear without being plugged in.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #9

We tried the tripod for a season. It was useless. I finished up my JT Strongarm install last weekend, and had the kids wallow around in the top bunk while Inlaid in bed. 100% improvement.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #10

I would go with two batteries mine came from the dealer new with two. The auto level takes a lot of power.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
WI finished up my JT Strongarm install last weekend, and had the kids wallow around in the top bunk while Inlaid in bed. 100% improvement.
I have a 2021 29.5 BHDS and we can feel the kids moving around in the bunks when we are in bed. I assume the kids can feel us, too, when we are...uhhhh... moving around. I want to try the Strongarm kit but I think the spare tire is going to be a problem on the passenger side front jack. I am going to be investigating next time I have the 5er home. We would really like something to help with the motion.

Also, I bought a 30A cord when not using the ACs.

Regarding batteries, we run 4x 6V. Love it. I plan to move to lithium when these are end-of-life. At minimum, I would run 2x6V or some Lithiums.
SickDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #12

Never say never on running 2 A/C units off 30A service. My buddy has the same trailer, different year, and had the second A/C installed a year after purchase. You can install soft starts in the A/C u its and that will allow you to run both units off a 30A service.
Which brings up your next question of just getting a 50A cord or just using 30A. Depends if you get the second A/C or not. The placement of the dogbone really doesnt matter but if it's on the ground make sure itll stay dry in case of rain.
You are right in stating the less travel on the ram the more stable it would be. I've had a few trailers and experimented with just that and found it to be true.
The tripod for the kingpin makes a HUGE difference. My buddy that has your same model got one and I couldnt believe how much difference it made in his. We tried it on my Northpoint and it didnt seem to do much, but my trailer is a different apple anyway.
Btw, Lakeport State Park has 1/4 of the campground 50A service.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
The tripod for the kingpin makes a HUGE difference. My buddy that has your same model got one and I couldnt believe how much difference it made in his.
Do you happen to know which one he used?
SickDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:08 PM   #14

Your new rig may come with a 50 amp cord. Ours did as the connection is a Furrion. I also bought the adapter to 30 amp if we need it.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickDay View Post
Do you happen to know which one he used?
It's a BAL Fastjack Fulltimer.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Btw, Lakeport State Park has 1/4 of the campground 50A service.
Lakeport, south loop is a really nice park. Stayed there the first year we got our fifth wheel. Lucked into site 350, which is ADA and had been recently redone with a beautiful, flat concrete pad. The bath house was a little sketchy, but I think it was rebuilt last summer. The north loop was a little crazy and haphazard. The rv’s were parked every which way in that north loop, and it seemed much rowdier. That north loop reminded me a little bit of Tawas for those reasons. Overall, a really nice little park. May go there again this summer.

2015 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PS
2018 Cougar 344MKS
2006 Jayflight 30.5 RLS (sold)
2018 Ram 1500 CCSB 5.7, 3.92 rear (lease up)
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #17

Hello and welcome to the forum! I agree with everything said on here with regards to the 30a vs 50a extension cords.

On the landing pads, I also have the lego blocks from our TT when we bought our 5er and I'm still using them. I did purchase last year the Anderson Leveler system thinking it will be a quick way to level side to side and reduce the travel on the auto level. I have not had a chance to use them due to the pandemic last year. The few trips we were able to take I had very level sites. I have looked at the red buckets, but can't decide if the price is worth it. You can buy a lot of legos for that price.

I do have a tripod for the kingpin although I don't always use it. If it is just the wife and me, I will not use if for just a weekend getaway and will use it if we are going to be on site for 4 nights or more. Our Pinnacle has the front-living floor plan. I will setup the tripod if we are camping with others since there could be 4-6 people in the living room and I feel the tripod gives more stability and more support overall.

One thing you didn't mention and perhaps you had them on your TT. You will want a set of BAL wheel chocks. Those seem to have taken the most movement out of our 5er and improved overall safety while on the campsite.

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum! I agree with everything said on here with regards to the 30a vs 50a extension cords.

On the landing pads, I also have the lego blocks from our TT when we bought our 5er and I'm still using them. I did purchase last year the Anderson Leveler system thinking it will be a quick way to level side to side and reduce the travel on the auto level. I have not had a chance to use them due to the pandemic last year. The few trips we were able to take I had very level sites. I have looked at the red buckets, but can't decide if the price is worth it. You can buy a lot of legos for that price.

I do have a tripod for the kingpin although I don't always use it. If it is just the wife and me, I will not use if for just a weekend getaway and will use it if we are going to be on site for 4 nights or more. Our Pinnacle has the front-living floor plan. I will setup the tripod if we are camping with others since there could be 4-6 people in the living room and I feel the tripod gives more stability and more support overall.

One thing you didn't mention and perhaps you had them on your TT. You will want a set of BAL wheel chocks. Those seem to have taken the most movement out of our 5er and improved overall safety while on the campsite.

We do have the BAL X-chocks but there seems to be some debate on whether those will work with the 16” wheel/tire upgrade. I guess we will see.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #19

My next question is about hitch setup. I apologize if I’ve asked this before. I have a GM 2500 with 6.5’ bed. The 5er has the LCI Turning Point pin box on it. I made the deal with a B&W Patriot 16K standard hitch thinking I would use a wedge and unlock the pivoting pin box instead of a sliding hitch. My thought was in weight savings on the truck as well as the hitch in regards to me taking it in and out.

Now I’m sort of second guessing and wondering if I should lock the pin box and use a sliding hitch. I’ve read a few instances where folks believe they have experienced some sway with the pin box unlocked because the pivot point isn’t over the axle anymore but rather 22” back further.

Thoughts or experiences?
Old 03-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Lakeport, south loop is a really nice park. Stayed there the first year we got our fifth wheel. Lucked into site 350, which is ADA and had been recently redone with a beautiful, flat concrete pad. The bath house was a little sketchy, but I think it was rebuilt last summer. The north loop was a little crazy and haphazard. The rv’s were parked every which way in that north loop, and it seemed much rowdier. That north loop reminded me a little bit of Tawas for those reasons. Overall, a really nice little park. May go there again this summer.
Yes, the north loop is a little more "active" we'll say. Lol!
The south loop was shut down at the end of July 4th weekend in 2019. Still closed all last year, which is what you get when the state is involved and accept the lowest bidded contractor to do the work. I know the south is gonna be open this year because some friends of ours have a site booked in there.
If you haven't already booked for lakeport yet, good luck. You prolly wont be getting in until the end of September or first of October. They book up fast and COVID is making it worse.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote